Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't speak to that area specifically but since I lack the local knowledge that comes with a lifetime here, I use a Calif DeLorme Gazetteer, which is pretty good about showing every single goat path. Their mapping isn't super up to date though some of what show as tiny old roads end up being gated off a half mile in. I've found most of their NF stuff is pretty accurate, and the maps are easier to use than a massive MVUM from the NF which unfolds to about the size of the hood of a car.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  2. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DeLorme Gazetteer is certainly a great reference. For a Mt. bike or a small displacement dual sport you could profit from a bit more detail and less bulk. Now i am talking about 'cave man days' before GPS. National forest service maps have or had sections numbered. Even on a short ride you could find a tree with a metal 'location stamp' on it. With your forest service map and a couple of straight edge strips you pretty much knew where you were. A wrong turn on a bike ment lots of calories. Off pavement, 60 miles was a good ride, more was getting to be hard work, so i would check my map often. Gps generally changed all that. National forest service maps can be folded in such a way as to only present the off-road part of your adventure. Gates are much more of an issue now than when i did most of my exploring. Oddly you would likely think that gated roads would not appear heavily travelled, remember, everyone that goes down will need to return. This took me a while to realise. My endurance was enhanced as a result of such mistakes.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    One way to "profit from less bulk" is to take good quality pics of the sections that interest you and keep them on your cell. You can open them up and zoom around, even without service.

My Delorme is a work in progress, I try to note on it the gates I encounter etc with the ultimate hope of having a convenient ready reference for all the forgotten through roads in this area.
    Foot dragger and mrgizmow like this.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Watercat, weldpro, mrgizmow and 2 others like this.
  5. MojoRooster

MojoRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So much good riding gone. Looks like the fire went through Granite Basin and jumped 162 heading towards lower bucks lake.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive heard that so far granite basin trails havent burned in total,its not over yet though.
    It looks like all the trails on the west side Ive ridden even since I had a dirtbike,are smack in the #augustfirecomplex footprint. Some a those trails have lasted over 40 years. On the other hand some trails over there became an impassable manzanita thicket.

Once it rains and greenery starts coming back maybe more trails will be seen,have to ride with a chainsaw. Coyote Gap is still burning from what I hear,trails out of rogers cow camp are most likely burned clear.
    D8's and D6's have put in huge firebreaks starting out of Scooters,Flea Mountain, and gone all over the place up there.
    Top of canyon up to Rock Creek. D6's went up 4 Trees rd and I dont know what all they did up that way.
    I need to get my 200 out though. DSCF4738.JPG
  7. MojoRooster

MojoRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Granite Basin 2004 with my 01 300exc

granite basin04-10-04.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a little insight on the West side. I have a friend with a cabin up there. Fire went all around the his cabin but do to his Defensible space it is saved. He is an old cowboy that works hard everyday and pushes pine needles on a regular basis. Any way my riding buddies went out there and said the riding should be really good as soon as we can get in. All the brush gone shows us the rock jags that will be fun on the trials bikes. This group of friends are the people that cut in those trails almost 50 years ago. They have big ranches out there and have lived in the area for several generations.
    Watercat and mrgizmow like this.
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have only ridden seven Trials events this year. Got another one up in Canby next weekend. Most have been cancelled or changed to a fun Trial to avoid trouble for our club. All MY time has been consumed and I won't have a life until the fires are out.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    What part of the West side are you talking about?

I was thinking a lot of long hidden trails up out of rd 313/Hull rd and Chrome and Alder Springs area should be visible again.
    I was riding out there in 1975 and pretty regular through the mid 80's till we started riding Cascade and then Ragdump area.
  11. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Closer to Chrome, The Alder creek trails are smaller property owners now as compared to the 70's. Some of the best ones are owned by the pot farmers. We used to ride at "The Bowl" it was right off the side of the road and where most people staged at. The southern Trails were made by the Willows and Orland guys. I won't use names.
  12. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am up for a ride just about any weekend. I also have years of experience in the trails above Chico to Westwood.

Chris
    Surcease, ChicoProf and Foot dragger like this.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I used to race at the Moto-Cross in Westwood. They had it once a year,it was great fun with parts of the track being singletrack.
    And a huge jump over or into a waterhole depending on one's mood. Jumping a TT500 over it took some stones.

Your a 2 stroke rider or street legal dirtbike guy?
    Ive ridden up above Concow since 1990.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There is a way up to the chrome mine from near where the vintage race happens,go through a big culvert under road and eventually up to Chrome mine. The top way in to chrome mine involves a gnarly better have yo ass in yo pants rock climb to get back out to the Radio Tower.

We always did it when I rode with the Brownells Honda shop group out of Chico.
    Me and Nickerson sometimes made a new trail every time we rode the west side. There isnt so much thick brush and trees so you can pick a way and go till you figure out where your going. He would sometimes try to lead me off a 60' roadcut drop to see if I could be killed or not.
    I blasted a hole in Nickerson's chest protecter with my 495 KTM once but he had it coming,Nickerson was crazy,thought he was fast and it wasnt a crash if he was thrown clear.

Had a trail that crossed Poison Glade,which is a cool spot. I bet we had 65 different trails over there easy,most turned to solid brush with lack of use,now might be burned clear. We shall see. Before this burn we rode up a trail over there called "Chute"....big wooden hand routered sign on a tree,old,old sign.
    Trail goes straight up rocks,get steeper and steeper with no good way to get off or turn around and slippery polished rock.

The descent down to Grindstone creek was also a no joke thing.
    If you couldnt get a run off the gravel bed of creek at the bottom,and make the hairpin to get going at a good clip................you would have to stay there till you did.
    Big waterbars to jump all the way back up,could get ripping in 3rd gear WFO and hanging on for dear life it was so steep. Some guy drove/slid a nicer toyota truck down that trail 10 or 15 years ago. It's still there at bottom,only a helicopter would get it out.
  15. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dual sport and I wouldn’t even say good but I have spent a lot of time on the trails in this area two track 4x4 trails around here.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I have a DR-65O I ride most anywhere,not on singletrack much. Been riding it since 08.
    Ive got a KTM 200 also but fires are going through lots of singletrack around here.

Fire was heading down into Feather River canyon early last night.
  17. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hookalatch, or anybody knowing his phone number. Are you safe, do you need anything ?
    Speak up, I will help if you need anything.
    If you have contact with him please call him.
    ChicoProf and Hookalatch like this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about him,its all evacuated in his neighborhood as of yesterday.
    I can help also if somebody needs something.
    ChicoProf and Hookalatch like this.
  19. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Thank for the concern. We are a little east of the mandatory evacuation on Gas Point Road and the fire is burning away from us. We are/were ready to leave but I think we will be fine unless some fool starts another fire somewhere. With the wind this is actually the best visibility we have had in 5 weeks. Yesterday our phone line went out unrelated to the fire which also takes out the computer and we get no cell service but that has been repaired too.
    ChicoProf and Foot dragger like this.
  20. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikes are loaded, Ice chest packed.
    Off to Canby Ca where the Indians killed general Canby.
    Its a sweet spot that the general wanted for himself. He kept running them out but they need it's rich bounty and kept coming back.
    I have always admired this band of Indians. They are the ones that kept winning, They knew the Lava Beds well. Great story.

Anyway riding the Old bikes with famous people. Boy I need this time away.
    Watercat, Foot dragger and Hookalatch like this.