Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Lots of downed trees and burned signs on M2/M4 etc. Might be a little while before things open up.
  2. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Was out on Friday,up 32 to 36 to 89 to 70 to Quincy to Graeagle to Gold Lake for lunch by Salmon Lake.
    Then down 49 to Bullards Bar to Oroville and home. The smoke towards the bottom half of 49 could be cut up and put on a sandwich,thick and humid.
    But most of the rest of the ride was fairly smoke free.
    DSCF4848.JPG DSCF4853.JPG DSCF4855.JPG DSCF4856.JPG DSCF4858.JPG DSCF4857.JPG Lots of camp sites open around Almanor and Gold Lakes Basin,hardly any smoke on Friday. The old guy with his Harley was fun to meet,we hit it off right away talking surgeries/big rides/big crashes. 110,000 miles on his current Harley,been riding choppers/Harleys for ever.
  3. xXxSilveradoxXx

xXxSilveradoxXx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some pics from the other day, which I believe will be the last almond irrigation for the year. My friend had never rode his motorcycle on dirt before, so I figured what better way for him to get some practice!

20201104_131252.jpg

20201104_145635.jpg

The shop, we usually run lines on the Honda Foreman and the 400EX. This time we took the Versys 300 and the Husqvarna 701.

20201106_152325.jpg

The next day, I took the 701 out to a dry river bed in Orland and got some practice on various surfaces including rocks, pebbles and sand. The last time I rode a motorcycle off road was before my spinal fusion surgery in 2000 on my CT70 I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things!

20201107_142548.jpg

Stopped by the Artois Market on my way back home.

20201107_160029.jpg
  4. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    ^ I have one of those 701's, an '18, it's a ripper! You ever take yours west on 162? I haven't been over there since the fire. I really like the Husky power parts ADV foot pegs. Makes long days in the saddle much better.
  5. xXxSilveradoxXx

xXxSilveradoxXx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't taken the 701 West on 162... yet! I'm hoping to get into the hills some before it snows this year, but we'll have to see.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    DSCF4937.JPG Was out on the West Side yesterday,up road 313/Hull Rd and over to M9 and down M4. M4 is re-opened by USFS and I think FH7 to Covelo is cleared and open,until it snows anyway. 313 still has a sign on it saying residents only/closed. But the road is in good shape and people are using it anyway.
    Virtually everything I saw burned to some degree,lots of it is just brush burned off clean,nothing left. Im thinking trails are or will be clear due to brush being gone,even old abandoned trails may be able to be brought back into play. I would take my KTM 200 over to check all this out more.
    The 2 trucks are parked on Doe Peak,a common spot to stage and ride out of on Rd 313. Most everything in pics used to be green before fire. DSCF4934.JPG DSCF4936.JPG DSCF4939.JPG DSCF4936.JPG
  7. Surcease

Surcease Fng

Oddometer:
    I haven't really taken klr off road yet. I was thinking of a spot to ride yesterday and I spied this on the wall.
    20201126_115146.jpg
    Perfect!
    20201125_143309.jpg
    Took a little while to get used to but I felt a lot more confident on the way back.
    Foot dragger and MeefZah like this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Couple of us drug KTM's out to the West Side to check out the trails. Pretty much all of it is burnt to one degree or another.
    We bashed through some trails but lots of burnt manzanita etc to get through. Not a ton of downed trees but after some time and wind I think there will be alot.
    Might be time to make new trails as opposed to fixing some old trails. We got 30 miles in anyway. DSCF4957.JPG DSCF4962.JPG DSCF4965.JPG DSCF4968.JPG DSCF4967.JPG
    xXxSilveradoxXx and Hookalatch like this.
  9. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot dragger, it's a lot to ask since you don't know me, but if you decide to go back on the small bikes to explore the area, or any other area, I would welcome the opportunity to tag along. I have a 350 EXC-F for the tight stuff and 790 Adv R for everything else. Just retired in June and I don't like to ride alone and I'm not much of a lone-venturer. I'm in Stockton but from Arcata. I moved away from there before I started riding so I bleed a little when I see the ride reports from there. Anyway, I'm a competent, take-care-of-myself off road rider whose few friends work. Ideas from others about how to make riding connections will be appreciated too!
    Rips Millar and MeefZah like this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Id be down with it. Stockton is a heck of a drive from here.
    I used to drive down and race at Lodi Cycle Bowl then drive home. Made for a late night. Usually we would be dealing with snow in local riding areas by now but it aint happening yet. I do have one area about 35 miles from here that hasnt burnt. Not all of it anyway. If it can be worked out a ride could be good!
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry Chris :(

You don't have to look at them!!
  12. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Ok, that may have been dramatic. Let's say "envious."
    MeefZah likes this.
  13. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Yes the distance it a stretch but we have made one-day trips to Stonyford, 3 hours each way. I was a bit younger then too! I have some options to make my day shorter like stay in motel, bring motorhome/wife and camp enjoy the outdoors. No rush, just putting my hand up for when something takes shape in the future. I live in Morada, Morris road is just up a bit on the frontage road from Eight Mile Road. I can hear the racing faintly when it's on at Cycle Bowl. Heck, I can ride up the railroad tracks and get there :-)
    Foot dragger likes this.
  14. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Or! Bring a bike with me on one of my many visits up there to visit family and ride with you like I threatened a while back? You said you are moving. Out of area or local move?
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Tennessee
  16. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Nice state from what I've seen of it, beautiful country. Best of luck there!
    MeefZah likes this.
  17. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We've been lucky twice with moving and getting jobs at the same time before the move. I don't think we'll be so lucky this time, but as long as one of us gets a job we should be okay. We were always kind of on a 5 year plan here anyway and we're approaching 5 years, so this was in the cards from day one; but I'm also getting increasingly frustrated with this place, so it seems as good a time as any to move on.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive only been doing bike trips to coast and back and all around over that way since 1976. I know some good routes. I was camping over there by the time I was 5.
    I knew from the first bike trip the nor cal coast is a fantastic place to visit,but not any place I would want to live. Extremely beautiful and extremely gnarly at the same time.
    MeefZah and Surcease like this.
  19. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have discussed moving back to the McKinleyville/Arcata/Blue Lake area endlessly. Most of our families are there, etc. But, I grew up in the fog, overcast and cold wind blowing off the ocean and I like my mornings clear and the sky blue. But I always loved the Pacific storms hammering us in the old days. Many tradeoffs though; air here is dirty and it is too hot in the summer. We have decided to quit the moving back discussion and visit more often now that we are retired. Spend more time there in the summer. I don't know for certain how to overcome the logistical issues of Chico/Stockton but willing to figure it out with a little lead time.

Any of that 96/3/36 is as pretty as it gets and fun to ride. You've no doubt been across the Bald Hills Road to Martin's Ferry Bridge. I bungee jumped off that bridge long ago, statute of limitations long expired. Swan dive the first time, jumped off backwards the second time. Strange noises involuntarily escaping on that second jump. Can't for the life of me remember why I thought it would be fun.
    Foot dragger, Hookalatch and MeefZah like this.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Got out for a 3 Hour Tour the other day,on pedal bike. No way to get a motorcycle to the place I was going. DSCF5018.JPG DSCF5032.JPG DSCF5028.JPG DSCF5033.JPG DSCF5019.JPG DSCF5012.JPG DSCF5047.JPG DSCF5030.JPG e50ec51f506fe260734c7d0c7f051ad3.jpg
    Bike Guy, Surcease, ChicoProf and 2 others like this.