1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hobbes

Thanks for the offer, if you would like to, sure. I don't have a Forestry map that shown Ponderosa Way. The map I bought at Georgetown Ranger Station doesen't show it. Map starts east of Ponderosa Way. I am using Garmin Topo Map and a lot of what your refering to is not on the Topo map, so don't know where those places are. What's GV?

Tony
  2. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    GV stand for Grass Valley, sorry. You can MapQuest Dog Bar. It is a nice little twisty road. Not sure what your plan was, but it is a nice option.
    Let me know what your route is from Ponderosa on. I can ride it in reverse tomorrow. Give me a chance to use up the last of my Scorpions before I mount my new Mefo/606.
  3. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hobbes

If you have a Garmin GPS I can e-mail you the track! If not the route truns off of Foresthill Rd. onto Pnderosa Way, cross the American river, stay on Ponderosa Way until it changes to Canyon Way. Stay on Canyon Way until 174 and cross over hwy 80. Stay on 174 until Lower Colfax Rd. turn left Stay on Lower Colfax until it comes back on 174. turn left. Go to hwy 49 and hwy 20 take hwy 20 west. Turn right on Britney Springs Rd from hwy 20. Follow Britney Springd Rd. until you come to Pleasant Valley Rd. turn right. Follow Pleasent Valley Rd. to hwy 49. turn left Follow hwy 49 to Moonshine Rd. turn left. follow Moonshine to Marysville Rd. turn left. Maysville rd. to Oregon Hill Rd. turn right. At the end of Oregon Hill you are just about to the end of day two.

If you try it have fun, no dirt just pavement.
    I looked at your seggestion of Dog Bar Rd. Looks like it may be fun to put in the ride--Thanks

LaPorte
  4. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    I have ridden all those roads except for Ponderosa. Looks like a nice route. I will check out Ponderosa and let you know. Dog Bar will be a nice alternative, especially to mix it up if you are already taking 174 on the way out on Saturday.
  5. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Here's going down from the foresthill road and going up the other side.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XeLpq0h224Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XeLpq0h224Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLG6RSW7qss?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLG6RSW7qss?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

When is this run going on?
  6. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    22many

Hey thank you. That was just as good a doing the road live. If you join us on the ride the beer's on me.

By the way were you riding a BSA 441 It looked like one of the newer ones.

Thanks

LaPorte :clap
  7. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tony

Sorry for the confusion. Ponderosa Wy is one of those roads I guess that goes on forever. It runs through Forest Ranch and Cohasset on up through Lassen up in my neck of the woods. I didnt quite understand your route.

God I got to stop working long enough to get some riding in.:baldy
  8. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Nope it's a triumph 500, the TR5MX avenger. Plated and with 71,72 BSA parts to complete it's legality. Certainly simular to a 441, but these are the OIF design.
    Regarding the ride you guys have coming up, I geuss I'll have to go back and check the whole thread for details, but yes I figured this was a chico area run.
    And right, there's alot of "ponderosa ways", ha, seen them all over but they don't connect in a string like one long route!

I like a tasty brown beer with some flavor to it!:rofl
  9. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    OK, I looked back to see that your date is 23rd+24th. Already have plans for OHV on the 23rd. Might be able to hook up in route on the 24th for dualsport, (and beer) I'll have to watch this thread to stay informed. But on top of that would like to join in and glean some route knowledge about the paradise and east of there next time you do a run up that way.
  10. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    I am holding out hope that I can find somebody to watch my dad ( he has Alzheimer's) so I can do the ride to Placerville. I can provide yard space for camping and or concrete slab floor in my unfinished house for Saturday night. the house is about 15 minutes S/E of Placerville. JB
  11. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    so the ride is Oct 23 & 24th? Starting in Brownsville? As long as there is a good beer stop this sounds like fun:freaky :lol3
  12. ADVPanzer

ADVPanzer Riding this mortal coil

Oddometer:
    Went down to Ozzies June, 09 with some riding buddies and one of them (with a GPS) suggested we take the "scenic" route back to Redding via Cohasset and Ponderosa Way to 36 (I think it was) I was on my 1150 GS Adv, another guy on a 1150 GS, a F650GS, and a BMW 800 ST :huh . Left Chico about 3pm. After hitting a snowfield that we couldn't get past we decided to turn back. Only two that didn't drop bikes were me and the other 1150GS. Went back to Chico and took the 5. Got home just after 4am. Ponderosa Way north of Cohasset is not for big bikes like the GS. KTM 530/DRZ/650L yes. The guy on the 800 ST had to replace both sides of plastic. The F650 had to replace levers, shifter, plastic, turn stalks. :freaky
  13. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    I've been out Ponderosa way many times. There are trails that lead to Butte Meadows that I'm told are not big bike friendly but take less than a hour!

As far as heading to Red Bluff, the area can be uncanny hot in the summer when it is big bike friendly if you leave early in the a.m. No doubt the steep rocky fire roads would test a novice riders skill. And any rain whatsoever can turn the clay parts to slick, slick, mud. There are few riders of dual sports that have the skill to ride wheelies across any sort of snow banks. When I tried to develop that skill on a 650 Dakar I discovered that in warmer weather 200 ft banks of snow are actually slippery rough ice. And it's very difficult to lift a big bike on ice!

When it's dry and you have some skills, this passage is a mildly difficult Adventure ride. There are many ride reports regarding the Ishi Wilderness if you search them up!
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155246
  14. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry LaPorte been gone for a while. The ride from Cohasset to highway 32 is big bike friendly. I have done it many times on a GS and a KTM 950 Adv. The first few miles from the Cohasset end are the roughest. Lots of rocks. Just take it slow. After you cross Deer Creek and start climbing out of the canyon it is great. Hope that helps.
    cycleman4
  15. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now see the confusion. I saw your Ponderosa Way off of Hwy 32 and to further confuse the issue it is off of Forest Ranch Rd.
    The section of Ponderosa Way I am talking about is Off of Foresthill Rd. not Forest Ranch Rd. Although it looks like it may be a fun ride up there as well.
    Didn't know that there was as many Ponderosa Way Rd's

LaPorte
  16. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two week ago my buddy Dave and I did a fun little ride. We rode from Chico to Truckee via hwy 162. [​IMG]
    The next morning after a few of these it was tough to get going.
    After riding the trails and train tracks west of Donner Lake for 4 hours we needed a break and slabbed it up to Soda Springs for lunch. From there we took a dirt road to Auburn. Not sure the name but it was quite an adventure.
    By the way this is my buddy Dave in his new riding gear.[​IMG]:evil

Here are a few more pics of the trip.[​IMG][​IMG]Dave got a flat. 2hrs stop!!
    [​IMG]
    Great ride but a long day. Slabbed back to chico via grass valley from Auburn.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Most of that road is doable at 45-55 mph on my DRZe,it likes big sharp rocks and deep ruts full of silt. We saw a 400 lb(at least) bear way above Cohassett on the way to hiway 32,we were turned back by 6 ft snow banks where the grader had quit.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive done it,theres a rt turn rt out of Covelo that hooks left onto a dirt road that comes rt out in Laytonville. 2 miles south of Laytonville theres a rt onto a dirt road that supposedly comes out in ft bragg,I havent tried that one yet.
    Theres also Zenia rd that goes out of Covelo and ties in to various other roads and can go to hiway 36 at Mad River or veer off in another direction and come out in Garberville. Lots of possibilitys out that way.
    I also rode a 400 mile dualsport ride this summer from Wildwood on hiway 36 to Fortuna and back again,80% on dirt roads and all on back roads.
    Pretty fun and saw some great back country.
  19. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also rode a 400 mile dualsport ride this summer from Wildwood on hiway 36 to Fortuna and back again,80% on dirt roads and all on back roads.
    Pretty fun and saw some great back country

I rode the Wildwood 400 this summer also, it was fun!

LaPorte
  20. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    This first part of Cohasset needs the gas! I started into it and just had t gas it and stand on the pegs. Let the bike do its thing and made it right through.