1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chihuahuan Desert

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Big Single, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    I've done these types of trips before. I'm considering a week long stay in the Chihuahuan Desert. I'd like to go into Mexico at Del Rio, Tx and possibly leave via Presidio, Tx. If Del Rio is wet, I'd probably make my way west on Highway 30 from Monclova and over to Cuatro Cienegas where I'd hit the dirt over to Hildago De Parral. If the weather is decent, I'd probably want to spend a day or two in the mountains west of Hildago De Parral.

The dates are open to negotiation. I was thinking mid February or early March. I plan on asking a few veterans. If you'd like to come along, you should know for a fact you can ride ruts, sand, gravel, and grades. We don't set any speed records. We're unsupported and the general idea is to ride well within your abilities. We could very well be as far as 200 miles from the nearest hospital. It would be an absolute nightmare to have to be carted out in the bed of some rancher's pickup with a broken leg. (It would also be expensive.) Your bike should also be able to make 200 miles on a tank of gas. (Sure, you can carry extra gas.) That's not a hard fast rule, just a loose goal.

Another alternative trip would be to haul butt to Hildago De Parral and head for the coast on highway 24. The drop from 8500 feet on the dirt is tense and exhilarating. After reaching the coast, I'd probably like to go south to Mazatlan and possibly on to Puerto Vallarta.

Humm.... Daytime temps in Guadalajara are 80ish.

I'm open to suggestions. Hardy Lonerider....You guys out there?
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I need to be in California around March 10th or so. This might work well, but will have to check back.
    How many days below the border are you thinking?
  3. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    I was thinking 10-13 days. I'm flexible....
  4. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a real fun ride :freaky

Do you need knobbies for where you're going ?
  5. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:

I'm using about a 60/40, (road/off-road.) I usually ride a Gripster rear and a Kenda 270 front. I'm not going to intentionally ride mud. Sure, we could get caught in a rain storm, but where we're going that's not real likely. I'm riding a KLR and the other two possibilities are riding Suzuki DR 650s. If I can sell my GS in time, I might be riding a new DR or KLR.

Oh, and I don't trailer to the border. I've had problems with knobbies throwing knobs on the highway. I've also found it's almost impossible to find a KLR rear tire in stock in the hinderlands when those knobs fly off.
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Things always change, but it looks like I could be in for this - end of Feb and early Mar.

Remote sht rules....
  7. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Cool, sounds great. I need to get to work tweaking my bike.
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Average temps:
    Hi 80
    Low 42

I have the Boquillas and Dove Mountain 1:100k USGS topos that cover parts of Coahuila, but need several other maps to have complete coverage. IIRC, these came from Apache Trading Post.
    I have no idea where my Mex topos are, but the Terlingua Trading Post should still carry them.
    I'll print some maps-of-mexico like you did for the last trip.
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Bill,

I know you've seen some of the good posts on the BB chat. The La Linda, El Burro, various minas on the eastside del Carmen, Boquillas on the westside...and some other stuff look to be very cool.
    Even though I don't run a GPS, I did copy and save some of the co-ords. :D

Do you have a certain route aleady picked or is it still open?
    I'm a big fan of the past Bravo border crossings - what they once were, and what they are today.

Dunno, but a small fuel can for some stuff might be needed. My range is around 200-210 miles without having to baby it too much.

I gotta admit to being excited about this ride....
  10. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    I have no definate plans whatsoever. We could always try to make our way to the Hot Springs we discussed earlier on the Rio Grande. The only that that might cause us to change is the weather. I'm allergic to mud.

I'm all for a trip to La Linda, Boquillas, and Santa Elena. The hot springs is not too far from La Linda. (With that said, there's not much in La linda.)

I'm not going to have much more range than you. I did get me a different carb to see if I could improve mileage. Haven't tried it yet.

When the crossings were open, there was barrel gas in Boquillas and Santa Elena. I don't think gas will be much of a problem.

I don't know if you remember or not but there was a road that left the main road to the south that went to a mine. The road went up a fairly cool canyon.

Also, check out the desert between Cuatro Cenegas west to highway 49. (We went through Cuatro Cenegas on the way back from Copper Canyon.) There's nothing there but the Zone of Silence. Might be a cool area to explore. Looks like you would follow a railroad track most of the way. I believe I clocked it at about 200 miles.
  11. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Sounds good... I'll work on getting you some links so you can get a better idea of the landscape. We'll probably meet up in Del Rio.
  12. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I remember, yep.

Cuatro Cenegas: No tiengo mapa trip...:)

Zona del Silencio, cool. :D
  13. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    About 50 miles west of Del Rio on the road we took the last time, south of the road a piece, there's a huge freaking crater that's visible on Google earth. There appears to be a road that leads to the edge of the crater.
  14. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Either a crater or a big ass mine. Could very well be a large strip mine.
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks to be quite a few mines there.
    From what I've read, there are some meteorite craters hanging out in Coahuila, Cheewahwah too.
    Could even camp with some meteorites (or pieces of them) in the Zona del STFU...:D

Have you looked into the Naica Mine/Caves?
    I PMed Tury to get more of the scoop.

BTW, just got Google Earth back working today and I think I identified the outdoor shtter at the house where we all slelpt. :D
  16. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:

There's definately a lot to see in the area. Even with a week and a half, we may have trouble seeing it all. If we make it to Boquillas, we'll have to spend an afternoon in the bar doing our share supporting the local economy.

I'm not familiar with the Naica Mine/cave.

They may have actually had to rope off that outhouse as some type of superfund site after our departure.
  17. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Dang, 150 degrees in the Naica caves? They should be very doable. (Well, in regard to accessibility not the temp.)
  18. redone

redone That Guy

Oddometer:
    Hey got youre link. nice pics looks like good rideing country. you guys got a border date yet? I'm Not sure I've evan got a bike ready to go. are you planing on much camping?
  19. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:

I'm waiting to hear about Bob and Hardy's schedules. If we go, we'll be camping most of the time. The last time we did manage to rent a house for the night in one small village. There are no motels that I know of.