Chile-Argentina, a question or two...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MarcMuller, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MarcMuller

MarcMuller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone covered Chile North too South, over to Argentina and up to Buenos Aires?

I'm beginning to research this and I,ve been looking at some maps of Chile, I don't see a road going all the way down to Tierra del Fuego and over to Argentina...
    Has anyone done it?
    I searched it in here but nothing this specific came up...I'd prefer to cross over at the very southern tip of Chile, instead of Mendoza...unless it's impossible, of course. In that case, at the most southern point possible.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  2. KRAUTER

KRAUTER Riding the forest

Oddometer:
    Hey there!

In Chile you can take the Carreterra Austral south or Puerto Montt.
    If I remember right you take it down to Coihaique (spelling?) and than take the ferry at Lago Buenos Aires over to Argentina.
    There, the legendary Ruta 40 is waiting for you. It will pass along such attractions as the Perito Moreno glacier and gets you all the way down to Fireland and Ushiuaia if I remember it right. (It is a while ago... )

You gonna have the trip of a livetime, guaranteed!

Krauter
  3. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a detailed Chile/Argentina map at a bookstore or map place. There is now a road around Lago Buenos Aires that is new and in good condition. The lake ferry is nice but it blows an entire day waiting and they usually load bikes last if there is room. The road from the ferry's destination to Coyhaique is fantastic-it reminds me of Europe. We road the last hour in the dark because of the late ferry arrival and there were a lot of deer on that road. This is a picture of 8 bikes on the ferry, a horse, an ambulance and numerous trucks. The next picture is the paved portion of the road before Coyhaique. Barb[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. MarcMuller

Oddometer:
    KRAUTER, BARB....

outstanding! this is great, now I can continue planning this trip.
    See, I have family in Chile that I barely know, friends, relatives and a business in Argentina and my girlfriend here in the USA who wants me to take her to Argentina....what an opportunity this is!
    The only problem is....I'd have a window of no more than 3 weeks.
    That's where the planning gets tough. Chile is like 4000 miles long and then another 2 to 3 up to Buenos Aires...that adds up to 6 or 7 thousand miles....riding say 500 miles a day...it's 14 days but I'd like to really enjoy the views, stop for the pictures and all that, not just ride through them. May be I should look into doing Santiago-Buenos Aires....
    Anyway, I got plenty of time to do it so I'll work it out but your input really helped!
    Thanks!

MM
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Marc, this is coming from someone who has "not" ridden a MC is SA but I have been in a few SA countries like Argentina, Ven., Chile etc and driven on their roads and from my view it looks like 500 miles days would be REALLY optimistic even by car. :uhoh

If you think you'll need to do 500 mile days day after day I'd shorten the route considerably and enjoy the trip more.

Remember this advice is worth what you paid for it. :D
  6. MarcMuller

Oddometer:
    usger,

thanks for replying, it is good advice and I'll look into different routes, don't need to break any distance records here so it looks like from Santiago down and around the tip and around to Argentina is more realistic...it actually cuts the distance almost by at least 1/3...
    Thanks!

MM
  7. KRAUTER

KRAUTER Riding the forest

Oddometer:
    Hey Marc!

There's a vessel service with Hamburg-Sued from the West Coast USA to Valparaiso/Chile.
    That might be a way to get your bike down there.

Or you could rent a KTM in Santiago de Chile.

If you have only 3 weeks, you defenetly will have to get your bike down there or rent one.

Another great source for travellers is Horizonsunlimited.com

You'll find any info you are looking for.

Happy planing...!

Krauter
  8. BigCoop

BigCoop On my way...

Oddometer:
    I've got a brother coming off a base in Antartica and landing in Punta Arenas in September. My father and other brother are planning to meet him down there for a ten day ride the area- Ushuaia etc.

I'd love to stay in touch and share info as we come across it. It's been really hard digging stuff up.

We've already decided to rent down there since the trip will be so short.
  9. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    September, especially early will be winter time there and VERY cold..
    Who are you going to rent from?
  10. MarcMuller

Oddometer:
    Krauter,

sorry it took forever to reply....thanks for the info, I'll be calling them soon to get an idea of costs.