Chile Demonstrations

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by abandoned track, Oct 22, 2019.

1. abandoned track

abandoned track Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    I am in Concepcion Chile right now and was just in contact with my son in Santiago. Things are calming down now in both places and travelling should not be seriously affected. There are curfews so travel should be restricted to 7 am to 5 pm with curfew starts ranging from 5 to 8 pm in different areas. But travelling in an unknown area of a foreign country this is good procedure at any time to be in a secure place well before dark.
    In Santiago stay away from the Centro and Plaza Italia and the main street Alameda/Bernardo O Higgins/Providencia/.
    In Concepcion I parked my car as soon as this started and only travel around by m/c, much better to deal with jams, bonfires on the road, traffic lights out, etc. Apart from the big quantity of destroyed traffic lights traffic is getting back to normal.
    So if you are on the road I wouldn't worry too much about passing through Chile.
    Initial panic on the weekend created huge gas lines but that's quietened down also.
  3. abandoned track

abandoned track Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we hope it quiets down also. One of our sons is in Valdivia and we talked to him last night. The demonstrations, looting, and damage to stores was happening even in the smaller cities and towns like Valdivia.
  4. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I marched in a demonstration against Monsanto when I was in Santiago and recall seeing those riot police and thinking things could go south pretty quick. I'm seeing some pretty brutal images coming out of Santiago now.
  5. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Been watching this closely as we will be arriving there on Friday along with the long suffering GS. Decided to cut short our stay in Santiago, not because of any security issues but because the transport in the city seems to be in a bit of a mess - can't see them being able to fix 300 million dollars worth of damage to the metro that quick.

We're just hoping to be able to arrange insurance before the weekend - the shipping agent is an adv rider and has been very helpful, and has actually offered to come with us to help.:beer
    Dan Diego likes this.
  6. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    The Metro is running normal hours now that the state of martial law was suspended as of Sunday midnight. Service is around 80%. Biggest traffic problem now is they keep shutting down Plaza Italia and all surrounding streets for demonstrations every day.

Two or three hundred motorcyclists shut down the toll booth on the main 4 lane highway in to Concepcion Sunday PM. I was not involved, I was up in the central mountains around Parque Nahuelbuta on gravel forest roads.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates on Chile?
  8. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    It is quietening down but far from over.

My son has moved back in to his apartment near plaza Italia and says their are still lots of demonstrations but less rioting.

If in Santiago stay away from the centro, bellavista and Plaza italia areas if you want to avoid trouble.

Here in Concepcion again this AM I had to pick my way through debris and fires on the street downtown to get to work. Still lots of traffic lights out.

But for the most part it is manageable.

Nationwide strikes called for yesterday to paralyze the roads and the country never materialized.

They are still blocking Ruta 5 (Pan American) from time to time but the carabineros are getting faster in clearing them.

So no big problems for people passing through but keep your eyes and ears open.
    Secret Agent Man likes this.
  9. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Lots of evidence of roadblocks - burnt tyres etc, but nothing that has held us up so far up to Copiapo. When we got here the hotel was boarded up, but operating normally. Bit of noise from the square and a few nervous looking soldiers in the street. Anti govt. graffiti everywhere. Can't see anything that is scary really, if anything kicks off it seems to be well after you would normally arrive in town.

Chile is brilliant, and the people we have met have been unfailingly helpful and friendly. We did cancel our stay in Santiago, but that meant we could spend more time working our way up country.. Couple of more days going north to San Pedro de Atacama now.:rayof
    GuateRider and knight like this.