Chilean Traveling to the Artic Circle

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by holckster, Mar 12, 2019.

1. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google 'Rat Rod Patagonia"
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010277988496

Marcelo Bahamondes Stenvers (age 55) built his 31 Chevy Rat Rod and Camper and left Punta Arenas, Chile March of 2018 headed to Alaska (and back).

Currently staying with me in Northern Calif but must Exit the USA by April 5, 2019.
    Plans to cross into Canada and wait for road conditions suitable for him to continue north.

Looking for route, road condition and timing advice as his hot rod with 18 inch wide Mickey Thompson tires is NOT suitable for snow and ice.

Also looking for a host(s) who can allow parking, elect hook-up and access to shower and toilet while he waits till roads improve and along the way to and from Alaska.

Facebook Messenger automatically Translates so communicating with him is easy or contact me.

I rode my moto to Ushuaia via Punta Arenas in 2016.
    On that trip I was helped several times by locals and made many friends, one of whom pointed out this fellows Facebook page.

He's on an EPIC trip so decided to pay it forward I offered assistance in the USA and he accepted and stopped at my ranch for minor maintenance and to wait for PNW and Canadian weather to improve.

Plans to head for the Border 3/18 staying along the Pacific Coast.
    He's also the builder and rider of a V/8 motorcycle in Chile so hope some of you can help him on his travels.

Thanks
    Doug Holck
    Lodi, Calif
    Fishenough likes this.
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not at all likely that the snow and ice here & thru Canada will be gone by April 5. :nono
  3. holckster

Oddometer:
    He know's he is early but MUST exit USA by April 5 so is looking for a Host(s) location where he can wait for Spring.
    Spread the word among any Car Clubs, Auto Repair Shops and Hot Rod Shops, he would make a great night watchman.
  4. Tom S

Oddometer:
    "18 inch wide Mickey Thompson tires is NOT suitable for snow and ice."
    Right. You have to understand that he first has to get thru the snow and ice to get here.
    And I can almost 100% guarantee that there will be plenty of snow and ice on the way up. He better invest in some good snow tires. Hope his car has a good heater.
    Pix
    (1) 4-25-08 7:45 am
    (2) 4-25-08 7:01 pm
    (3) 4-25-08 8:06 pm
    I can show you a pic from here on May 18th 2013 with plenty of snow too. Snow 4-25-2008 745am.jpg

Snow 4-25-08 701pm.jpg

snow 4-25-08.JPG
  5. holckster

Oddometer:
    His ONLY INTENTION is to get to the Canadian border via the Pacific Coast and wait for Spring thaw.
    He's Chilean, not crazy.

He's from the Southern extreme opposite end of the Planet and they have snow and ice there so he's is fully aware the challenges to be endured to complete this 3 year round trip.

ANYBODY can do it with snow tires and a heater but then it wouldn't be an ADVENTURE.

With 2 test trips around Argentina and Chile and the 9000 miles he's done this past year to get to California his car has completed 24000 miles with minimal maintance and on the same set of Mickey Thompon Sportsman tires.
    Mickey Thompson has donated a NEW set of tires that I'm storing in my shop for his return trip.
  6. Tom S

Oddometer:
    I guess that wasn’t quite clear to me. It sounded like he was gonna wait in Canada for a short time then head up here & arrive before he had to leave the US on April 5th 2019.
    I don’t know how it works but I guess he’s gonna have to get an extension on his visitors visa, or some such thing, before he comes into Alaska. There was no mention of doing that.
    Now do I have it right with the visa extension bit?
  7. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Holckster, no reply to my question in the last post?
  8. holckster

Oddometer:
    No extension allowed.
    He entered under the visa waver Program which allows only 90 days and that expires April 5.

He leaves USA, travels thru Canada (another country) and re-enters USA in Alaska starting over on his visa waver for another 90 days.

Same after coming back thru Canada on return trip south he'll re-enter USA and start over again for 90 days.
  9. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    'Visa waver Program ... re-enter USA and start over again for 90 days.'
    Interesting. Learned sumthin' new.
    Like I said, I don’t know that stuff works.
  10. holckster

Oddometer:
    Bump
    He leaves tomorrow headed north from the Golden Gate Bridge.

He only stops where invited so if you can host reach out to him on Facebook by Message (turn on your automatic translate feature) his English is very poor.
  11. holckster

Oddometer:
    Bump
    Go to Marcelo's Facebook page and invite him to stop and visit your home or business.

His route is north thru Prince George up hwy 37 and directly thru Whitehorse, Tok, Fairbanks to the Artic Circle sign on the Dalton.

Route South will be back to Tok, TOW hwy to Dawson City and the Alcan to Banff NP and re-enter USA on his way to Yellowstone NP.

An invite will help him convince Customs Agents he has places to go and people to see/help while in Alaska.
  12. holckster

Oddometer:
    Google 'Rat Rod Patagonia"
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010277988496

He entered Canada successfully today at Sumas.
    They wanted to give him only 30 days but he pleaded and got 45.
    That means he's got to get to Alaska by May 15 so here's hoping for an early spring and warmer temperatures up north.
    Message him and invite him to stop and park if you have a spot in Alaska on his route to the Artic Circle.
    He's returning south via the TOW Hwy and Dawson City then down the Alcan Hwy.

I had contacted Richard at Hot Rods and Classics in Chilliwack, BC and he invited Marcelo to stop by.
    He's parked there tonight and has invitation to stay for awhile.
    Big thanks to HR&C for extending some Canadian love to a fellow car guy.
  13. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doug, I forwarded this thread and a note to the car club in Fairbanks AK. David
  14. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove the Alcan up from America last week. Bare road and blue sky all the way. High 40's low 50's during the day, high 20's during the night. Just enough rain to get my rig dirty. Got home last Thursday. I crossed into Canada on route 97 out of Washington.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  15. holckster

Oddometer:
    Marcelo is at the 37/1 intersection near Watson Lake tonight.
    Headed for Alaskan border at Beaver Creek.
    Must exit Canada no later than 5/15.
  16. holckster

Oddometer:
    Marcello is in Tok tonight and headed north tomorrow
    I've sent messages to the 3 riders listed on the Tent Space List.
    Hope a few of you can hook up and Congratulate him on achieving his goal of driving his home built Rat Rod from end to end of the Americas.
    He still has to drive home so wish him well and follow along on Face Book "Rat Rod Patagonia".
  17. holckster

Oddometer:
    Marcello made it to Fairbanks Sunday the 5th and is now southbound for home.
    Today left Watson Lake down the Alcan headed for "Mile Zero" in Dawson Creek.