Chilling out-2up-Antarctica2Alaska @Canada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lostmike, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    (I have stolen this format from Mick and Tans amazing Earths Ends RR because I thought it was pretty cool)

Bike prep and trip planning here

INTRODUCTION

Hello intrepid readers. The plan is to tie the knot in NZ at the end of November, then for an encore/honeymoon fly the bike over to Santiago and go riding for around a year. In normal day to day life both of us work government jobs in Central Australia to fund our various adventures around the world. This time we are taking a serious career break to complete what has been a dream of mine since I started riding bikes and one that Meg adopted when she met me.

A bit about us
    upload_2018-11-7_16-49-18.jpeg

Meg aka Megstar - according to Mike
    Nationality:
    Australian
    Profession: Speech Pathologist
    Likes: Riding motorbikes, swimming travelling, reading (at a very slow pace) walking, camping, hanging out with mates. Cooking me dinner and fetching beer. Pass the pigs
    Dislikes: Dropping the bike (which I do semi regularly) Mozzies (or any form of biting insect really)
    Excels at: Making friends, putting up with me, staying calm, being positive, sleep ins.
    Sucks at: We are about to get married and I don't want to be dumped so I better not answer this one.
    Most excited about visiting: Antarctica and the Galapagos islands.
    Former bikes: Honda NBC110 "postie" Yamaha yzf r15 r
    Dream bikes: The postie.

Michael a.k.a Mike - according to Meg
    Nationality
    : Kiwi, with a bit of Welsh for good measure
    Profession: Wannabe V8 race car driver/professional wakeboarder
    Likes: Pretty much anything on wheels i.e. motorbikes, cars, trucks, mountain bikes – anything that you can go fast on! Beer (the less mainstream the better!), any sport requiring a heartbeat, reading (including War and Peace!), most outdoorsy type pursuits that present a reasonable chance of an injury, Pass the Pigs
    Dislikes: social media – likes being ‘off the grid’
    Excels at: Fixing things, encouraging you to push your comfort zone, being kind and generous while teaching how to do something, noticing weird sounds e.g. how loud someone drinks a cup of tea
    Sucks at: Nothing he’s just a good egg
    Most anticipated part of the trip: Death Road in Columbia, Antarctica, hitting the top of Alaska
    Former bikes: How long have you got?
    Dream bikes: Triumph, KTM

Logistics and Operations Coordinator
    Princess

upload_2018-11-7_16-41-31.jpeg

She does all the research, planning, and organising for our trips. As you can see she is currently researching Chile.

The Bike:
    upload_2018-11-7_16-46-45.png

2016 Honda Africa Twin, Manual/ABS with everything I could think of done to it, there's a bit of prep thread here I'll update it shortly with the gear/setup that we ended up with.

The Trip:
    Americas map.jpg

As you can see from our detailed route which I've created from a pre release version of the 2019 Garmin Maps, we are starting in Santiago then heading south. Its an adventure I've been wanting to do for ever, well that's what it feels like. Its also part of the reason I came to work at a better paying job in the Northern Territory, as it seemed impossible to achieve it working in New Zealand. It was a big decision to make, as we all know NZ is much better than Aussie. (plus leaving fam and friends behind was tough I guess) When I first met Meg who had never ridden a bike I told her about it, and instead of saying I was crazy she got amongst it, bought and learned to ride a bike, came on a few big two up trips in various spots around the world and now here we are. The trip was originally planned for 2017, however I managed to sabotage that by breaking myself in a buggy accident (Enthusiasm exceeded skill level) but we are back on track now. We will head south through Chile to Ushuaia then if the stars align catch a cruise over to Antarctica before heading north to our final destination Tuk. Rock and Roll!
  2. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your choice of bike

Good Luck
    Nanuq and Lostmike like this.
  3. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    I see you are a man of distinguished tastes. thanks very much
  4. annazak

annazak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning the same road as you guys and starting in Jan, so probably we will meet somewhere on the road :)
  5. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabulous Plan! Also love the bike!!!
    Lostmike likes this.
  6. annazak

annazak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lostmike likes this.
  7. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Sounds great, when are where are you hitting the road?
  8. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, shes getting a few final touches at the moment. Was supposed to be crated by now but that's the way it goes!
  9. annazak

annazak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is arriving in Jan to Chile and theb I am hitting south :)

Wysłane z mojego D5503 przy użyciu Tapatalka
  10. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Great hopefully we will see you on the way North :)
    annazak likes this.
  11. zapochris

zapochris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. BTW, what breed is Princess?
    Lostmike likes this.
  12. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hi thanks for following along. Not one hundred percent sure, she's got a lot of character though. She was give to me as a very young pup when I was working out bush.
  13. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Temp gauge reckoned it was 47 degrees Celsius when we tucked her in. Next stop Santiago.

Attached Files:

14. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Oh also have to get married in nz before we meet her there
    Foiler and yokesman like this.
  15. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in, congrats on your upcoming wedding!
    Lostmike likes this.
  16. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Ummmm...... If Tuk is your finish point, Tuktoyaktuk is nowhere near Hudson Bay as indicated on your map. Just saying.

FYI northern Canada has biting insects (ie mozzies) that will pick Meg up and carry her away to finish off at their leisure. They are so numerous you need a mask not to inhale them. Have fun!
    Gordon, Hi-De-Ho and Lostmike like this.
  17. pk1200

pk1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first FYI from Chat is completely untrue. The second sentence is completely true.
    Drybones likes this.
  18. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    ?????
    Tuktoyaktuk (or Tuk as we call it here in Canada) is on the Beaufort Sea, part of the Arctic Ocean. Hudson Bay (end point arrow) is nowhere near.

Tuktoyaktuk
    Inuvik, Unorganized, NT
    https://goo.gl/maps/GLchka2GzTP2
    Kyler likes this.
  19. KA2135

KA2135 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey mate. I look forward following the adventures of Mike and Meg for the next 12 months. Great to see you living your dreams. Stay safe, have fun and post often.
    Lostmike likes this.
  20. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Well geography was never my strong point. I don't have a motorbike related update as its still somewhere between alice springs and Santiago at this point. However we did manage to successfully get married. Happy days. We will get to Santi in a few days and meet the bike. Hopefully my liver will have recovered from the pummelling its had over the last few weeks! And I've added a photo to prove that it actually happened IMG_4028.JPG