Chilling out-2up-Antarctica2Alaska @Canada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lostmike, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1855473
    No worries mate, be careful about following any tips though haha.
  2. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Is this park reserved ?
    37B1DF09-3FE4-4AC7-92EE-33874FC33B01.jpeg
  3. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Well our girls being crated up in Vancouver, in preparation for the long sea voyage home. When we get back to Aus she will get a bit of a spruce up before we ride her home. Pretty sad to see her go but its not the end!
    roadcapDen and twowings like this.
  4. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found it by mistake today, it was a great read.
    thank you
    cheers ed
    Lostmike likes this.
  5. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    No problems mate, cheers for the read, glad you enjoyed it.
  6. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW! You two pulled off one hell of a trip. Huge congratulations to the both of you for hanging in there and also for sharing your trip. I could only dream of such a thing as I could never be off work that long. Thank you again
    Lostmike likes this.
  7. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for dragging us along on a great adventure!!
    Lostmike likes this.
  8. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate gals you enjoyed it, it’s all just starting to sink in, there where a few rough times but overall it was an absolute hoot. Don’t give up on the dream, I’d been thinking about and dreaming of doing it since I was a teenager.
  9. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Been a pleasure to share, thanks for reading.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  10. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this RR, enjoyed both your writing and the pictures, excellent job.

Also good to see your relationship survived the trip, unfortunately some don't.

I took my son up to the Yukon last summer riding 2 up on a 2018 ATAS DCT, we were just ahead of you guys as we wanted to catch the the HU Meeting in Nakusp BC on the way home which was scheduled for mid July.

Did you ever ride onto one of the commercial scales to weigh your bike fully loaded, I did and was shocked to see us at 470KG's, (1034lbs)

I was on stock suspension and it was a bit dodgy at times but never did bottom out, I assume we were overloaded by a fair bit.

Kudo's to you for taking the AT on those roads 2 up fully loaded, that must have been a real handful at times, did you ever consider riding 2 bikes like some couples have.

I followed the 2 Moto Kiwi's on their trip, they stayed with me for a few days when they came through Vancouver, they started on two DR650's then switched to a KTM 950 after Ellen had a big off in Mexico.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-moto-kiwis-arctic-to-antarctic-may-2012.789269/

BTW how did your bike handle the Metal Cheese Grater bridges, the one at Teslin was brutal for us, I tried different speeds but it just got worse as I tried to increase the speed, both times we had big RV's coming the opposite direction using all of their own lane and some of ours.

[​IMG]

Here's me at the sign for mile Zero at Dawson Creek.

79DDC9DE-5815-4CF3-A499-1F9E18F343DA.jpeg
    KLRalph likes this.
  11. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hey mate

Sorry its taken me a while to respond, been settling back into home/work life. No where near as much as fun as being on the road! I have to give all credit to Meg for the relationship survival, she was brilliant and probably the main reason we made it. Pity we missed you up there, didn't see too many ATs on the road.

Your trip sounds great. I think we topped out at 420ks fully loaded from memory, but running the andreani cartridges in the front and the Ohlins in the rear made a huge difference from stock. Wouldn't have liked to do it without them. Only bottomed out the rear a couple of time which was normally as a result of me getting air off the topes in south and central america.

We did consider taking two machines, but although Meg is a competent road rider, she hasn't done any off roading, and we wanted to the majority of our riding off road so that kind of made the decision for us. We didn't get to do as much as I would have liked in north america (apart from the dalton and the dempster) due to smashing my knee up in death valley np. Just booked in my surgery actually. Turns out I fully tore my ACL and severe tears of the MCL and LCL. So need a full knee construction.

Oh an the cheese grater bridges, I just got on the gas and let the bike wander where it wanted too. Normally she'd weave a little bit but track fairly straight. Probably a lot to do with my suspension upgrades I guess. Thanks for reading our post and sharing a bit of your adventure. Ride On!
    roadcapDen, XR Valdeez and KLRalph like this.