Chilling out-2up-Antarctica2Alaska @Honduras

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lostmike, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Cheers :) Despite a few setbacks we are having an absolute blast.
  2. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having fun following along. Nice work on those Peruvian backroads. They’ll build roads anywhere down there. Side of a mountain...no problem. Edge of a precipitous drop...piece of cake. Craziest thing I’ve ever seen!
    Lostmike likes this.
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, what are you doing? Be careful and stay upright!!! Glad to hear you two are ok.
    Take care and enjoy.
    Cheers Thomas
  4. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, yeah some feats of engineering. Build it. Watch it wash away. Rebuild it. Glad your enjoying the it :)
    powderzone likes this.
  5. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, good to hear from you, we are in the Galápagos having a little tropical holiday. Doing my best to stay upright but gravity and physics have defeated me a couple of time.
    Thomas B. likes this.
  6. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    24th April 2019
    MEG (Ecuador in a nutshell.)

Crossing the border we met a lovely Spanish couple, Rosa and Reuben, who are riding 2 up on a KTM and who are heading towards Columbia they where pretty well set and we hope to meet up with them again. After a couple of quiet planning days in Guayaquil it was time to leave the bike in the safe hands of our air bnb host and fly away to Galapagos. We reach Santa Cruz early in the day and I am buzzing with excitement to be on the Galapagos islands! Puerto Ayora is the main town on this island and we acquaint ourselves with the local wildlife early by seeing an array of land and marine animals including giant tortoises, sea lions, iguanas, crabs and so many colourful fish! Mike even gets dive bombed by a finch for an up close view! We do some awesome exploring at Tortuga Bay and celebrate with a passionfruit craft beer to end the day. Next we travel to Isabela Island via a death defying ferry and have a great couple of days chilling out on the beach, snorkelling around the bay, kayaking and swimming with turtles, penguins and sharks and cycling up to the Wall of Tears. We find out after visiting the Interpretation Centre at San Cristobal, our last island, of some of the sad history of the Galapagos including the numbers of prisoners who died due to extreme mistreatment (the Wall of Tears has been left as a tribute to those prisoners).
    GOPR0167.jpg GOPR0191.jpg GOPR0215.jpg GOPR0244.jpg
  7. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    After an extremely enjoyable week in the Galapagos we were raring to get back to the bike and continue on our merry way. After an unfortunate end for a friendly bright green iguana who ended up under the front tyre of the bike we had an easy ride from Guayaquil to Riobamba. We had an excellent afternoon traipsing around the city, visiting the convent museum and trying out a local delicacy – a delicious sweet donut type thing! After this stop we continued towards the Amazon stopping at Pailon del Diablo waterfall along the way. We hiked down the hill to the waterfall in our motorbike kit and were sweating on the way up but well worth the visit. We also met Hernan, a fellow Honda rider on a 250cc bike, who is travelling from Buenos Aires to Alaska and hopes to be there by August before the snow. We have 2 nights in Puyo, meet the mayor, who also happens to be a pilot, at the petrol station who showers us with stickers showing his bike group and who is a mad Harley rider. We were thoroughly rained on while adventuring in Puyo but it was awesome to see the greenery of the jungle and so many different birds! We also had incredibly friendly air bnb hosts Karina and Roberto who made our stay really enjoyable. Luckily for us Karina also alerts us to the fact that mate de cocoa leaves are illegal in Ecuador. We had brought these with us from Peru and had been merrily making tea to help with altitude sickness. We had an aggressive police stop on the way to Quito and the officers were rude and intimidating. They started demanding that we opened all our boxes and handed over our documents. Mike was pretty sure they where after a quick buck, but we managed to stand our grand and they eventually gave up and let us go. Needless to say we left these contraband leaves behind after this stop!
    GOPR0283.jpg GOPR0285.jpg GOPR0308.jpg IMG_1247.jpg
  8. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    The ride from Puyo to Quito via Tena was incredible, the jungle cascades down the mountains and we are treated to so many waterfall sightings. Unfortunately the rain was upon us again and there was a total white out at a few points along the way – mist rising up from the road and meeting the low clouds – it was freezing cold and we were very glad to get into Quito! We had a great afternoon in Quito having hot chocolates at Cacao & Cacao, exploring the historic centre and visiting the Basilica. We had some incredibly friendly hosts at our bnb in Quito who were mad keen on the bike and even let her sleep inside the main entranceway!
    IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1289.jpg IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1324.jpg
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  9. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    After Quito we had a night in San Gabriel before our border run to Columbia. We did unintentionally briefly end up in a presidential motorcade but after a quick lights flash from the unmarked car we hugged the right hand shoulder and let them all pass! A very easy border crossing once we found the right entrance and here we are celebrating our first night in the southernmost country we will go to by sampling the local Poker beer and staying inside out of the rain. Until next time, adios!
    IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1336.jpg IMG_1358.jpg IMG_1361.jpg
    gperkins, DaleE and joenuclear like this.
  10. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1522.jpg IMG_5058.jpg
    DaleE and joenuclear like this.
  11. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    IMG_5110.jpg IMG_5119.jpg IMG_5133.jpg

Attached Files:

roadcapDen and DaleE like this.
  12. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    IMG_5165.jpg IMG_5185.jpg IMG_5194.jpg IMG_5199.jpg
    twowings, TeeTwo, DaleE and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    A0CFA72E-6B57-4CF9-A4F3-F35E2EFE92ED.png As a footnote, rode through this yesterday. Didn’t realise how many people had died. Apparently it’s up to 28
    now. Very sad. Massive slip. We rode past about 30ks of backed up traffic. Lots of army and Police.
  14. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    B96F0055-78EC-488A-877A-580EF9615DC0.jpeg https://24-my.info/landslide-in-colombia-the-death-toll-has-risen-to-28/
  15. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    26/04/19
    Quick update/Cali, Colombia

We are sitting in Cal while the bike gets some much needed work done at Asturias Motorsevices. The valve check was overdue which was my main concern, and turns out she was bang on the money, no adjustment needed so I was stoked. Various other bits and pieces being sorted, plus new shoes, brake pads, chain, sprockets, oil. Im coming down with a bad case of the man flu so its touch and go wether I will survive to write another update.
    joenuclear likes this.
  16. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    only the toughest live through that
    Lostmike likes this.
  17. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    I’ve even tried my favourite medicine/cure all. Beer. Hasn’t made anything better. Think it’s 50/50 wether I’ll live through the night.
  18. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    If you’re gonna die anyway, start drinking whisky.
    roadcapDen, Lostmike and joenuclear like this.
  19. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    I whole heartedly agree. Can’t find a half decent single malt here for love or money!
  20. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't die YET! I just happen to have a fairly decent selection of single malts here at the house!

Glad you two are still plugging along!

Bike looks good!

Keep up the good work!
    Lostmike likes this.