1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soon. Working on the bike. Did valves today but did them slightly loose so I'll be digging back in when it cools off. Broke a feeler gauge while bending it to a usable position so I'll need one of those too.
  2. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I've always preferred the smooth feel all of the time of a hydro clutch. With the rides I do I feel the clutch changing throughout the ride and it annoys me on a lunatic about the little details type of level.
    Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  3. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eventually, the way you seem to roll, you’ll have an opportunity to sample one I’m sure. I’d like to hear your opinion knowing that you like a hydro clutch. Hopefully that Husky can stay around since you’d like it to. It’s different when you decide but I know I’ve been there and I’m sure a lot of others have as well.
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too, even if the cable is hashed I still can feel exactly what’s going on as it happens. Some of the old bikes I get to ride have mousetrap clutches but they certainly aren’t “ez” lol, I must have strong hands because they don’t bother me even after long rides. I like mechanical feels and noises, all the stuff they try to “refine” out now a days. It makes it easier to really know the machine I think. Brian, no offense is intended here, I cringed at the softer bar bushings because I always go the opposite direction with poly. I want them feelz :D We all like getting in the wind, we just do it differently which makes it interesting.
    The Virginian, MYUMPH, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  5. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stopped in the local Haaannnda shop today, wanted to check out the CRF 250 Rally and CB500X. While I was there I got to sit on a Monkey. It felt like a little toy, I think it would be a fun gravel road runner.
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/moose-racing-easy-pull-clutch-system?sku_id=429354

I put “mousetrap” in quotes as I know there are things so called a “mousetrap clutch” but in this instance I’m referring to it as “might have built a better mousetrap”
  7. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Not the clutch it was a transfer from the trans to the primary because of a vent tube
    Blakebird, JRowland, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Cringed at the softer bushings? You must enjoy carpal tunnel?

I'll order up the firmest bushings and install them. Come out for a tank of gas on the 701, if you can make it through without your hands locking up from vibration!

:jack
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Only on hydraulic clutch units though, right?
  10. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Sumping problem was a bad or weak scavenging pump that’s now updated
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I miss who made the elastomer bar mounts? Also, how many miles on the 701 now?
    Dirt Road Cowboy, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  12. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I saw those on ebay for about $18, and I thought about getting one for my GL1000. The Sporty doesn't need anything like that because the spring plate makes it ridiculously easy to pull the clutch (must be for girls since Sportsters are a girl's bike :lol3 ).
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    4900 miles.

The elastomers are part of the KTM/Husqvarna PDHS risers to mitigate vibration.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian and all others of my American friends; I just don't understand the horrible registration system your DMV's have. Here in Ontario ( even during this pandemic ) I just walk in the office (sometimes there is a line up but now mostly not) with my mask on and conduct my business. If I buy a vehicle new or used I pay my money and walk out with the title and license plate. If it's a used vehicle it has to be safety checked by a licensed facility before the paper work can be taken in but there is no stupid waiting!!!!!!! If I buy new and have sold a vehicle I just transfer my old plate to my new vehicle. If I don't have a plate a new one is issued on the spot. When the yearly license fees are due I can pay in person and get my sticker for the plate at that time or I can do the transaction on line and have the sticker in a week to 10 days. If I build a homebuilt trailer I just go in, declare that I built it and get a plate and ownership right now ( after they get their money of course.) If I buy an old bike with no ownership I give the DMV the serial number..they run it through the computer. If it is not in their system ( computer checks all provinces territories and all US states to see if a hit comes up) I can swear an affidavit that I bought it from Joe Blow for X dollars and that it is legally mine. Out the door with a registration and plate. Again, right now. No waiting. Glad I don't have to use your system.
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    The wheels and balloon tires on the Monkey remind me of the ones on the Honda CT70 that I had when I was a kid. :-)
    That little bike could go just about anywhere, just not very quickly!
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Nevada is one of the worst for anything other than getting your gamble, drugs, or sex on.

I have always resorted to riding far away to rural DMV'S to have minimal wait and no appointment to take care of business. Now they've disallowed this due to covid-19.
  17. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ya it has to do with the shaft and as the primary cools it was sucking trans oil into the primary so to equalize the pressure the vent tube is supposed to help but who knows I will just keep checking every now and then and see
  18. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    It seems almost anything you buy today has some issue or just doesn’t last they call it consumables which is a loose term for if it lasts a year your lucky because we want to squeeze every dime out of a product and do minimal testing and engineering
  19. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying that! Now I'll just keep enjoying the Sport Glide and it's old fashioned attributes.
  20. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the way it works for me, but I don't live in a city of hundreds of thousands of other people, all trying to jam through a system after a major interruption of service. Barring some kind of screw up, it's not that bad once you get to the counter. It's the line to get there that can be the problem.
    villageidiot, MVI, dp064 and 4 others like this.