Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, reptiles can fuck right off.
  2. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our Friend @Chillis is nuts to be stalking all those "cute little guys..."

Gives me the willies just thinking about snakes.... However I am fine with Crocs in AUS....
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m fine with them in AUS too! Just not near me
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If not following in the Monkey thread I put all of the parts that have arrived on the bike except front suspension. Tool should be here tomorrow.

From the other threads:

Can you spot over $600 in parts I just installed?

PXL_20201029_002635198.jpg

PXL_20201029_002656985.jpg

Suspension tool, can't believe it, won't arrive until tomorrow.

About to reset the ECU so it gets an idea of what is going on with the new intake.

Clipped wires for clutch switch. Need to get some electrical tape and tie them off together so I can start in gear.

Probably not going to test ride until I get the forks built.

Check out the heat sink valve and cam covers. If you get a set just reuse stock bolts. Drow ships with bolts that are too short and these weigh more than the stock covers so no sense adding more stress and or stripping out the head.

Clutch feels awesome. Didn't have to bleed after all. Some excess line though and it did require me to bend open the little cable keeper on the actuator arm to fit the Hymec slave rod in there. Bent it back afterwards but that shouldn't have had to have been done.

Getting rid of the bread box really opens up accessibility for maintenance and looks much better.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some MVI goodness en route, as well as some new gloves.
    Anything coming through Texas had a day added due to weather.

Looking forward to the suspension end results.
    Chillis and MVI like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    My suspension tool is sitting in post office since today. Hope it isn't lost as my other order from Drow arrived today. Drow is in SoCal.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wildfire delays, maybe. :shrug:
    Traxx and Chillis like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Guess I should have said it is sitting in my post office since today. Says Friday delivery. Hoping for tomorrow!
  9. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, that. I've only had earlier than expected delivery a few times. I think they want to make sure you're paying for faster delivery, or maybe they're working on their Monkey's suspension before you do.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    What the hey Brian??? :thumb

No wonder you weren't posting for a couple of days. You'll have to let me know how the Monkey handles after that... curious to see what improvements that BB kit will do on/off-road...

11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    BB kit? Big bore?

I'm not planning on doing a big bore kit yet.

Getting to the cam is so easy I may do that and the ECU flash once I get the exhaust done.

Just a warm up of the bike last night and riding it in the cul-de-sac, you can feel it has a little more go off of the bottom. Doesn't feel so lethargic just off of idle.

I'll go try it out here in a bit, just a street ride though.
  12. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike looks good with the mods. Any chance you're going to Pahrump this weekend? (Saturday day-night)?
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get out to meet with Joel to check a pair of boots he has for sale.

Being Halloween, I've got obligations tomorrow and Saturday. Trying to figure something out.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Here we go!

PXL_20201029_180935398.jpg
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got the suspension done. Wasn't too bad even though I don't have a workbench and vice.

A buddy came over with his giant adjustable wrench, 2 foot long with at least a 2" max clamping size. Maybe 3". That was used to hold the tool with the detent to remove the fork lowers.

Just like the YouTube videos I hit the bottoms with the heat gun for a while and doing that breaks the loctite and they thread off in reverse thread manner.

Once that was done I was messing around with the hydro clutch and I'm noticing I'm not getting full disconnect so I'm adding spacers to take up the slack on the bracket. Think I need maybe one more and it will be good.

Would I do the hydro clutch again? Probably not.

I know @villageidiot, told me so!

Only visual difference are the fork caps.

PXL_20201030_192502202.jpg
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Took a short ride with the Monkey this morning. A buddy of mine headed over and we cruised to Goodsprings, NV.

The Monkey ran decent although the clutch was getting funny on the ride back where it was slipping. Thinking being warmed up has altered the play because the clutch was not fully disengaging on the return ride climbing hills and getting warm.

Also, the idle began to hang as well.

I'm probably not going to ride too much until I get it tuned the way I want, plus the exhaust on it. Don't want anything overheating.

There was no exhaust pinging though.

Definite performance improvement with the intake. Spending more time at 50 to 55 mph. The issue I have is noise. Cruising at the higher speeds it is loud. Annoyingly so.

If anybody has ideas other than just going back to the stock airbox, I'm all ringing ears.

Front suspension, very stable now. Not darting all over the way it was stock. Dirt testing hopefully sooner than later.

There were groups doing the skydiving and we were by the airport as they returned to the dirt.

PXL_20201031_165923211.jpg

The diving board:

PXL_20201031_165513583.MP.jpg

17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The desert and glorious skies are to die for. We have a couple heavenly days ahead pushing to 60f and then we plunge into the abyss of white shit. Everybody is riding tomorrow. I don’t have the new Roadster until Tuesday so the battery goes back in the Grom.
  18. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    snagged me a bottle of this from Germany in March....

Monkey 47 'Schwarzwald Dry' Gin 375ml Germany

upload_2020-10-31_15-9-47.png
    ZoomerP and Chillis like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    New Roadster? Do tell!

If I wasn't wrangled into a social event I'd be out on a big ride today. Weather is amazing.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Is it good?

I wouldn't know as I can't really drink much. Never got into hard liquor appreciation. Budweiser on occasion if I'm dehydrated from riding or exercise.