Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did fill the oil cooler, oil pump, and then primed the system with an easy 30 revolutions. Oil was spewing out of the flywheel hole where it was spinning from.

No weird noises and pressure seems good inside.

I'll do some more digging tomorrow.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Did you add any extra oil for the cooler
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Filled cooler, oil filter, and oil pump prior to filling engine.

Ran engine and then topped off the engine after letting everything circulate.

You are saying to pull a

preview.jpg

and add more to the cooler?
  4. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    So cool!
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Oil cooler/thermostat does work.

I pulled a banjo bolt out, kept topping off the cooler only to find out it is just leaking down to the crankcase so I ended up with overfill.

Let it idle for a long time and then took it around the block and the oil cooler is barely warming up at the input side and the line is warm.

First heat cycle of the day complete.
  6. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    What I’m saying is your adding more places for oil to go so your normal fill line on the dipstick is no longer valid. The line on the dipstick is fine for a stock bike but now all the ounces that would normally be in the sump are now in the oil cooler when the bike is running so really the sump is low. If you added a bigger oil filter then it’s that much less in the sump
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I agree with their being more oil now with new capacities added via cooler and filter. However, once warm and the cooler is full and the filter is fully bathed and you follow protocol for checking level, it should read at stock level.

Fully warm bike and then shut down, wait a minute and see where the oil sits in the glass and add accordingly to maintain proper level.

After setting for a while it will drain down into the sump and read over full, especially now with the cooler able to drop oil from the low side banjo at rest until the high side has leveled to it.

Right now, even after topping off again, I am above the sight glass after full warm up and oil full in all necessary locations.

I'll be risking excess crankcase pressure and drag on moving parts skimming the new high oil level.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone that I don't see on some of the other threads most frequented.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Went on another heat cycle session. Not far from the house. The thing gets faster with each run. Oil cooler/thermostat are hitting full function.

Having this much more power sure is fun.

Contemplating getting a bigger throttle body as well but I really don't want a top end heavy engine.

Trying to figure out what to do with gearing.

I believe with the Power Vision they can rewrite the calibration so I won't need to add another gadget.

The point of the build is to keep it as clean and clutter free as possible as well as just worry free.

To have to babysit gauges and riding style all the time takes the fun out of it, IMO.

Watching the vitals after my last run, just idling I'm seeing the oil temp climbing to 206°F. Knowing the tune isn't for my bike, I'm not very worried about it. It feels like it is running lean everywhere. Cutting throttle gives sharp deceleration and holding steady throttle it has that too crisp on/off sensation.

Also, the bike is loud. Not sure how much I'll lose if switching to the quiet insert and figuring out some sort of shielded air filter or an air box.

Definitely not going stock. I want the clean look and maintenance access of the aftermarket intake.
  11. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    What you normally do is fill the oil cooler, then dump that into a measuring device, write that down and thats the amount you add to your normal fill quantity. You can’t add area and not expect the oil level to be low in the sump while running. If you had more oil capacity like deep oil pan then yes it’s not a worry but with as little of amount that bike holds a few ounces makes a huge difference
    So do you ride down the road with the engine off? No so your running with all the extras full and what’s in the case is below normal level
    Chillis likes this.
  12. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Chillis, @KICKNBACK, you two are describing accurate thoughts about oil levels with an added oil cooler and lines. The only point I have not heard is how quickly the oil drains back into the crankcases after the engine is shut down--if it actually does drain back. If it is a quick drain, the running oil level could be low; and, if it remains for a while the oil quantity has been accounted for with a quick sight glass check.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The oil fittings are on top of the cooler so when the bike is upright it can only drain the lines which isn't much.

If the bike is on the side stand then you get the leveling off to the lowest banjo bolt which still isn't a lot but could affect the reading being high.

The manual says idle for 3 to 5 minutes and then inspect after 3 to 5 minutes in the upright position.

I'll keep the bike upright so the cooler cannot drain off and do warm up(full warm up with thermostat open and flowing) then idle for the few minutes and then check after settled for the few minutes while staying upright to keep the cooler from draining off.

I still intend on keeping the oil at the top marking in the sight glass.

Edit: I need some octane booster too. Tiny tank, gas pumps that don't have individual hoses per fuel type lends to not getting enough high test.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Did an oil change to get the level back down into the sight glass. Even though there was only about 30'ish miles on the new cylinder, oil is super clean. Guess it is a job well done.

Ironically, it was having trouble starting and idling. Overfull on oil and I'd just added some octane booster and shook the bike to mix it up. Probably got some fuel into the charcoal canister and had a fuel pressure issue. Not sure.

Also, the sound of the exhaust is getting to me so I put the quiet insert in. Makes a little difference but it doesn't seem to be major. I'd prefer quiet though. Wish somebody would make a high flow but quiet intake that didn't take up massive amounts of room like the stock version. It can't be that difficult.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    A little exhaust system showcasing while getting another heat cycling in. It was just under $500 to my door from Japan where it was hand made.

Can't speak highly enough of the quality fit and finish. I love the sound too. Will have a few more heat cycles before taking to DynoJet and will try the quiet insert.

16. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it sounds great! One of the things I mentioned was how I really appreciated the almost silent exhaust note of the Monkey. But as I get more saddle time, especially at “speed” (35-50 mph, lol) I can’t hear the bike at all. There’s no tach, so it kinda hinders my shifting.

It’s becoming less of a big deal as I am beginning to realize that 3rd gear is tall as hell and 4th is really an “overdrive” gear. I’ve been busy with family stuff, so haven’t been able to ride it as much as I’d like.

In any case, it doesn’t seem like your mods have made it unduly loud, but I’m really not getting a sense of the intake noise.

Nice job, Brian!
  17. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the sound.. I like it.. all the mods are really well done!
    Don
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

It really is amazing how quiet the bikes are stock. A dry chain is louder than the engine.

Intake sound is not pronounced during unloaded revving. Get a load on it and hear it bwaaah! It doesn't seem as bad as the other intake but then that was all intake and no exhaust noise.

My ears are really sensitive to sharp noises too so a normal person may not mind these sounds as much as I do. Need to go back to foam earplugs. The silicone molded ones are letting in too much sound.
    Webman and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

When you look at modified Groms and Monkeys I think the mods have too much 'Fast and Furious' tuner looks.

I'm enjoying this subtle sleeper build keeping classic appeal.
    Webman, ZoomerP, dp064 and 1 other person like this.
  20. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Agreed.. visually, the monkey looks just like you'd want it to so any real visible mods would probably hurt it. Looking at close ups on yours though and man, the detail is there.. it really works.
    Webman, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.