Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is still going strong. No leaks and works as it should.

The pics of the stock versus aftermarket slave cylinders are hugely different. Kind of makes me want an aftermarket version just to get rid of the massive seal that is used on the stocker.
    ggrider and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Times are not easy right now. Had an issue arise with the Monkey while on the dyno. Cam retaining bolt backed out and so did the cam. It was caught quick and damage minimal but I'm pulling it apart regardless to add the stronger parts.

So much for following the Honda service manual. If you are replacing the cam in the Honda Grom, Monkey, Super Cub, or CT125; add a drop of blue loctite to the bolt instead of oil like Honda says.

Saw that coming?

Pissed because I really wanted to see the numbers it would put up.

I can order a replacement bolt and plate, flush the head and crankcase and put it back on the dyno just to see numbers.

I'm tired of it not being rideable though, regardless of power. The kit I want is sold out or no longer available so I'm at a standstill for the time being.

PXL_20210105_211904725.jpg

PXL_20210105_212204692.jpg
  3. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Do not like :(
    MVI, dp064, talcon and 7 others like this.
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal that sucks
    JRowland, simbaboy, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it had to happen, I'm glad that happened in the shop.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd already put 30 miles or so on it and he was on the third run on the dyno.

Time to go for a final setup so I can get back to riding
    ggrider, B10Dave, simbaboy and 2 others like this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I did get out on a rip yesterday. All of you regulars know I've got many an hour in map scouting to find places to explore. Had an idea to go revisit a mine I've yet to actually go underground in and see some cabins.

On the way I detoured to some places I've looked at from the road and map for years. The going was rough especially since I'd decided to shortcut which went heavily off course and through wash after rock filled wash.

Add in 40 lbs easily of everything I'm wearing or carrying on my back and it was a slow going day!

Better get a picture of the bike before she goes dirty again.

PXL_20210107_195542403.jpg

Somewhere up on them thar hills are spots visible from miles away care of the lovely industry of mining.

PXL_20210107_195559121.jpg

The ride over was cold even though I'd waited for the sun to preheat the desert before getting on the road. Off and up we go on a well graded series of dirt roads leading to the fact that this area was heavily worked. That said, it isn't maintained and there are plenty of washouts and golf ball to baseball sized rocks keeping you busy.

PXL_20210107_201200572.jpg

I've got hours of action cam footage to sift through still. Not sure if I'll post any of it.

The old mining roads are as noted above and it takes work to climb. I also, as normal with this bike, stay at street pressure for the sake of not getting a flat tire or damaged rim(s). It makes for poor traction and a highly active ride.

The views are a nice reward.

PXL_20210107_202449472.jpg

PXL_20210107_202526775.jpg
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I could have kept going up this particular section but I'd seen the maps already and it is just strip mining for the most part so down we go and over to another trail leading to another working. The ore bin was highly visible from afar and easy to get to.

PXL_20210107_204706009.jpg

I climbed on this working for a bit to see if there was anything worth an underground trip but not much. You can see where they cut into the ground and pulled out the material eventually taking the surface rock with it. Very dense talc/gypsum deposits.

PXL_20210107_205107650.jpg

Ready to go find some meat and potatoes, remount the steed and hit the highway over to nearby Dumont(which is visible in the pic above(sand dunes)).

Because of the action cam running I don't take many pictures. I get to my dirt road after some pavement pounding and then start climbing up another nearby mountain. Not knowing there are multiple routes out in the desert, I end up in a canyon wash following somebody else's dirt bike tracks.

I'm not having fun at this point but it is beautiful out here so I keep going until it gets bad enough that I need a rest break and sustenance intake.

PXL_20210107_215453612.jpg

Eating, drinking, looking over the map on barely any signal it becomes apparent that these are not the droids I am looking for.

PXL_20210107_215243033.jpg

Also the point where it is finally getting warm (sweaty).

Backtracking down the wash cutting north following what is mule trail I build up plenty of heat and sweat. Off the bike, on the bike, push over sections where I won't be able to get my landing gear down and could drop the bike. The going is slooow.

One neat discovery while doing this was a .50 caliber anti-aircraft casing manufactured in St. Louis in 1944 during WWII. They made millions of these rounds so no telling what time frame they were doing practice runs and this hit the ground.

PXL_20210108_055226033.jpg

PXL_20210108_055242263.jpg
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    On to the site I was really looking for and finally arrived at a mining camp/water hole. Should have gotten more pics here but we'll see what can be done with action cam footage later.

PXL_20210107_232126726.jpg

Didn't hang too long since fatigue was setting in and hiking was falling off of the radar of acceptable activities. So I carried on.

Finally find an ore bin and haulage adit.

PXL_20210107_233859030.jpg

This was in great shape so let's jungle gym climb this thing and get a rewarding view.

PXL_20210107_234026782.jpg

PXL_20210107_234107301.jpg

So much material left inside, some looking like marble.

PXL_20210107_234201000.jpg

Excitement grew when the haulage adit came into view so I dig out a light and go in.

PXL_20210107_234621379.MP.jpg

Really nice shape but unfortunately like every place I'd found it was gated so that was the view with phone through said gate.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn sorry to see the monkey project on hold, but the great thing is you have the enduro bike to enjoy the outdoors. keep the 701 and have it lowered by 1 1/2 inch for better footing.

we love desert pictures....keep them coming.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Eroded mountains make for rocky trail and priority was on getting through versus picture taking. When a cabin finally came to view it was definitely time to get a photo or two.

This one is nestled into some very soft hills of what looks to be siltstone or mudstone. The ride in through the canyons was very scenic and then to see this little gem was refreshing.

PXL_20210108_004535400.jpg

Poked around here for a few minutes and then went up a side canyon and came across this old Chevy which had been stripped quite well.

PXL_20210108_010308626.jpg

PXL_20210108_010341711.jpg

PXL_20210108_010356511.jpg

This would be all for pictures unfortunately. I made two more stops but they were fruitless.

Temps were also dropping quick with the setting sun and since I'd sweated out a couple gallons of water I would not be dry again until after the few hours it took to get home and remove said drenched gear.

I froze my a** off. If there wasn't sweat I'd have been fine. I'll add some video when it is uploaded.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I wish I could keep the 701 but financial beatings have prevailed so I'll be moving it soon.

I was thinking while riding yesterday that the bike just needs to be lowered a couple of inches and it would be perfect.

Heck, if they just made a real scrambler with some decent suspension travel(unlike the Svartpilen which is just a street bike styling exercise) it would make the perfect bike for me.
    ggrider, B10Dave, gulfcoaster and 6 others like this.
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Too bad that you can't keep it, but at least you won't be totally bikeless. Besides, when things do pick up, you can always get another 701 if you still want one.
    ggrider, MVI, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    That is the plan. Possibly the only bike I ever get twice.

Unless they come out with a scrambler with true off road capability before I'm ready to buy again.
    ggrider, simbaboy, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  15. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That cabin looks to be in pretty good shape, any idea what the time frame that someone lived there?
  16. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    That looks like it would have been the perfect ride with a reliable stock monkey with better suspension and knobbies just respectfully sayin.......
    Dirt2007, simbaboy, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Built in the '20's is what was said on the little posted sheet in the cabin.

Not sure about the happenings afterward.

More mining has occurred nearby and actually still is not very far from there.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The roads were so rough, it may not have been fun on the Monkey.

I'm going to button the Monkey up when the bolt and cam plate arrive, flush the heck out of it and then run it on the dyno as long as nothing else seems out of place. I want to see numbers with the current setup. Even the groove in the side of the one cam lobe, it doesn't touch anything and is not in line with the rocker.

Still trying to source the rest of the parts for the build but that one specific kit I was looking at sold out and looks to be discontinued.

Pain in the rear.

Also contacted one of the major players in the Honda 125 performance tunkng scene. Still waiting to hear back. Could see easy mid to high 20's with his parts.

This whole thing is taking way too long.
    simbaboy, dp064, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  19. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to share.:thumb
    ggrider, simbaboy, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    @Shawnee Bill, almost forgot the mine next to the cabin said 1962 or 1963. Have to check the video again.

A lot of mining in and around the area and it is in a very secluded location.
    ggrider, B10Dave, dp064 and 3 others like this.