Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GoPro 9's HindSight feature is ideal for what you do.
    It'd be a big help in cutting down editing time, and you wouldn't miss a thing.
    MVI, sealsam and Chillis like this.
  2. talcon

talcon Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got out for a ride myself here in Quartzsite
    IMG_5685.jpg

I’ll be back up to Pahrump in March and April. Maybe we can hook up and ride. I’m also planning on joining simbaboys group in DV in April.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the Sony and it still produces excellent quality smooth footage. I just don't use it much because if I do collect the footage my computer is a dog and can't keep up with editing and same with our home internet. Our neighborhood does not get public utilities outside of telephone and electricity.

Most activity is from the phone.

Sony hasn't done anything with their action cameras in years other than that little black square one that isn't really suited to what I'm doing.

I'll look into the GoPro although other than getting the Monkey to completion I'm not shopping at the moment.
    simbaboy, dp064 and ZoomerP like this.
  4. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Hopefully I'll have a ride by then! Things are not improving on the financial front.
    simbaboy, dp064 and talcon like this.
  5. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Vegas loving buddies are lamenting not being able to go in March/April (last year's was cancelled out from under us) so now we're targeting Oct/Nov.

Hopefully there is a lot of pent up interest in returning to the strip so things jump back once enough vaccinations are in place. We feel bad for the wonderful hospitality folks that are being hit by this and the rest of the LV residents. Vegas is a global entertainment treasure - it's just got to come back.

Is November too late for the upper elevations in Utah for things like Bryce, Zion and Father Crowley? I might try steering the interest to October for my riding pleasures. (It's also easier to get in and out of MN on bike.)
    Chillis, sealsam and talcon like this.
  6. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know I feel ya on this Brian!!

Next week is 10mo of closure for me. Forced by L.A. County with no end in sight. We will easily make a year of shut down. Fixed cost's are burying me!
  7. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Bill. Have you ridden more technical trails with your 701 and how does it compare with your WRR as a dual sport?
    I pursued Tae's WRR after seeing yours in Moab. Despite your chain issue I knew that the WRR was for me.
    Imu
    ggrider and sealsam like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hang in there Sam/Brian...
    dp064, ggrider, sealsam and 9 others like this.
  9. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    +1

Imu
    dp064, ggrider, sealsam and 7 others like this.
  10. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    @talcon

Good to see you on the WRR. Hopefully, we will meet up in DV and ?Moab.
    Imu
    dp064, talcon, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    @Chillis
    I am afraid for you.......not from riding or 'mining' or rattle snakes.
    You going into what looks like someone's habitat could have led to a shootout. Shotgun vs. a handgun at close range!
    Be careful out there Buddy!
    Maybe, I am just a pu...! Actually, I know I am a P.
    Imu
    dp064, villageidiot, talcon and 2 others like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    November and higher elevations in Utah you are flirting with cold weather and possibly some early snow.

Death Valley is good pretty much top to bottom in November.
    klaviator, MVI, talcon and 4 others like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Have to know your area.

These cabins are historical treasures on federal property and available for public consumption and often kept secret for fear of theft and vandalism.

If people were using it I wouldn't approach but the last adventure where we went "camping" we did talk to the people staying at a cabin in Mojave Preserve before us and they were cool. Doing the same things we were.
    sealsam, B10Dave, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  14. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whether a structure or a tent, I just call out a Hello! Anybody home? from a distance when approaching. I'm sure you do the same. Never had a problem, except for a guy doing a guerrilla meth cook by a lake. He glared at me, and I decided a re-route was a better option than figuring out what flavor he was whipping up.
    sealsam, klaviator, MVI and 4 others like this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    One thing I forgot to mention regarding these old cabins is that they have a flag pole and an American flag on site. If it is raised then it is being used. If you don't see the flag up then it is almost guaranteed vacant.
    ggrider, TheAdmiral, sealsam and 8 others like this.
  16. talcon

Oddometer:
    All the mine shafts I encounter are barred up.
    This one was near the southern end of canyonlands. Look low and to the left of the doorway and you’ll see the entrance to the mine. I’m always curious what the hell they were looking for lol

IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4608.jpg
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what little I've read, the history of mining scams is impressive, and is being added to daily.
    Dirt Road Cowboy, Chillis and talcon like this.
  18. talcon

Oddometer:
    Here’s another one in the Utah high desert. It was just above a really cool 90° turn in a wash. I believe the little building was a cold storage room and covered in clay.

37°35'29.6"N 109°35'41.3"W
    https://goo.gl/maps/oNkoBgrUzwiLfvVPA

IMG_5041.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg
    IMG_5055.jpg
    Ginger Beard, dp064, ggrider and 7 others like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    @talcon I've found UT to be the worst state to mine explore underground. They bar almost everything or the good stuff is on private land and you're not allowed to access good sites.

A shame.

The 701 is getting its post ride bath and maintenance and that foam Husqvarna Power Parts filter has been doing a damn fine job stopping the dirt going into the engine so it is getting its first bath as well. Haven't had it on for many miles. Maybe 1,000 or so.

74+ hp has to take big gulps and in the dirt that means lots of particles.

PXL_20210109_195012212.jpg

Thanks to recommendations here for Oxyclean, the filter earns an afternoon in the spa.

I've got two weeks for the appointment to take care of the countershaft sprocket as well as oil filler plug weeps.

When I can sneak in some adventures I will until getting the bike to the shop.
  20. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Chillis, sorry to hear that financial woes may force the sale of the 701. As I was viewing the last few pages, I couldn't help but think that it really is a beautiful looking critter.

About six weeks ago I stumbled across this thread because I was looking for something...IDK...sunny! Thanks for taking the time to post all the wonderful desert photos--I particularly enjoy the sweeping desert vistas. I used to live in AZ and moved to Oregon back in '99. I never thought I'd be here this long, and I miss the SW desert: the light, the rock formations, the open skies, the dryness, the flora, the smell of creosote...your photos have brightened up a number of cold, rainy evenings of late.

Appreciated.
    dp064, black 8, MVI and 9 others like this.