Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'll get another. I've been very fortunate to own many motorcycles over the years, always looking for the unicorn and Husky has one on their hands.

We have beautiful scenery here, no doubt about it. Was going to go back out today but the wind kicked up.

Another few weeks and we hit prime riding season for low elevations.

Never to late to move back although LV is getting pretty packed.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brian be like “what do you mean it doesn’t get 130mpg”

324D9D01-134E-4181-AAEB-FBC3E8FB8BB1.jpeg
    Ginger Beard, ggrider, Webman and 8 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Gas mileage?

I'm more interested in the dual oil coolers.

Speaking of the Monkey, new cam and retainer pieces arrive later in the week.

Going to run this setup still on the dyno. Waiting on too many people for the real high performance set-up because nobody has anything or nobody knows when they are getting anything.
    ggrider, MVI, Webman and 3 others like this.
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    yeah, gas mileage, ie, range. You’ll be bummed when the range is 49 miles and you spend more time filling it up than riding.
    ggrider, Blakebird, Webman and 3 others like this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If it isn't the bearer of the best news.

Just because it will be able to go 90+ mph doesn't mean that is what I'll do with it.

Higher compression ratio, higher gearing, less fuel to go the same speed(at 50-60 mph) will equate to better fuel economy.

The major obstacle being less metal/more heat requiring a richer AFR and less timing advance to stay cool.

We'll see. If I have to put a bottle holder for a fuel bottle on the handlebars, so be it. It is a fun build not a commuter. Although if it proves to be problem free I may try doing some really big mile days just to say it can.

Finally got a reliable source on the 4 valve Takegawa kit with 5 axis cnc porting. Hot rod version of the Takegawa 4 valve super head. 27 hp to the wheel.
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    just think of how many miles you’d have had on it already if not for the build?

27hp is fun, I’ll give ya that. Just don’t look at the receipt pile!
    simbaboy, KICKNBACK, NSFW and 6 others like this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    got orange? austrian built?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, dp064, KICKNBACK and 2 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I don't think any four strokes that small came out of the Terminator's homeland.

Look at that swingarm angle though. She looks as stable as a 70's Cadillac!
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got the Monkey back together again. I think I dodged a big bullet with that cam plate backing out.

Swabbed out the cam chain tunnel, pulled the side covers off of the engine and cleaned the dirt film off of the bottom of the sump.

Put oil in the engine with valve and cam covers off and picked up the back of the bike to flush any metal out of the cam chain tunnel and head.

Did another oil and filter change and then started it up.

Started up strong and settled into a good smooth idle. Let it run for a couple of minutes and shut it down a did another oil change.

Then cruised it down the block and back, changed oil again. Then took it out for 2.5 miles and changed the oil again. Not seeing anything coming out in the oil.

Changed again and just did 10 miles.

New cam means tuning is out the window, again! But it runs ok. Just happens to fall flat in the midrange on up to the top. This is a top end heavy cam and I'm not sure I like it but we'll reserve judgement for post tune ride impressions. Did hit 72 mph on very slight downhill.

The cam has a larger base circle to the lobes. Not much but enough to have to reset valve lash.

Pics of pieces.

PXL_20210116_195942088.jpg

PXL_20210116_200025330.jpg

PXL_20210116_200058041.jpg

PXL_20210116_200106147.jpg

PXL_20210116_202156785.jpg

When it comes time to crack the cases for the mega build I'm adding all new bearings in the engine and a new oil pump.

It's good to be back!

You better believe the bolt that backed out was thread locked and snugged very tight. The manual says "tighten bolt" for the descriptive installation instructions.
    ggrider, simbaboy, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  10. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's nice that they helpfully suggested to tighten it. smh

I just bought a mini-ductor. I've never used one before, but I think it could be useful for defeating red Loctite on a bolt like that without resorting to a torch. I know about torque specs and how adding threadlocker can make a difference in lubing the threads compared to a dry torque value, but on a part like that bolt, I think I'll be using Red 271 after seeing your close call.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    those cam plate even foreshadow what will happen...... OUT. as in, backed out!

hope it holds together for ya.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I think we still can but no telling as we inch closer to similar governance as CA.

Edit: I have been looking for a good month or so for similar tires to put on the Monkey to no avail after seeing those bikes.

Would love to test ride one as the cost of the 4 valve kit, crankshaft kit, and 5 speed kit parts are about the price of that whole bike. Let alone all of the other supporting parts, tools, and building.
  14. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    If that’s plate-able, do it and then it should be grandfathered in.

that bike in the 190cc version with 5 speed manual could be a real hoot. But I’m sure it’s carbureted. And we know you’re a princess about fuel injection :photog
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If they would fuel inject the DR650 I could gladly move back to that platform.

Petcocks.. sheesh.
    ggrider, simbaboy, staticPort and 3 others like this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’m a firm believer that If I had to have just one bike for everything. A dr650 is by far the best bike at doing everything.
    ggrider, simbaboy, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how well tires like that would ride at highway speeds.

@MVI - Any tire suggestions for the Dirty Monkey?
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd looked at the wheel size and wrote off these tires as an option on the Monkey but the morning coffee is kicking in and there are the aftermarket wheels makers that do the modular wheel assemblies. If they could do 10" wheel rings on their hub assemblies and the brakes/sprockets fit, you could keep all of your gear standard and mount up these 19x6-10" tires. Huge selection in that size.

Need to call them this morning anyway.
    simbaboy, dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got the Monkey to Dynojet. Rode it over because it seems to be running decent despite needing some adjustment. 0 to 80% throttle is closed loop and self adjusts.

Was going to take pics as I cruised the LV Strip but I put my phone in my bag and when I stopped at the Vegas sign I didn't want to go digging.

The place is empty!

Riding up the strip there were virtually no tourists. Most were locals(few) and most were of the type I wouldn't want to be around.

Dropped off the rig and it should be done tomorrow sometime.

I'm still thinking 19 hp to the wheel.
    ggrider, Ginger Beard, Webman and 6 others like this.
  20. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Why are we doing this build piece by piece your going to go the full Monte in the end anyway stop teasing yourself and just do it. Pull that thing down turn it into a arm jerking monster monkey already.

Edit: In my experience a short wheelbase bike with gobs of power playin around will result in looping it landing on a elbow and be healing for the next couple months