Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    See what I mean. She’ll be 18 in two months.

IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful young ladies. You are both blessed fathers.
    black 8, klaviator, goodquest and 5 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Monkey project will be back on the burner soon. I've got a seal arriving tomorrow so I'll go get my bottom end tomorrow or today with the seal out. Pop it in tomorrow.

Been studying the cam setup on the 4 valve and the decompression mechanism is different to say the least. Think I'll do a video on that.

Also seriously considering doing a dual oil cooler setup. Get a head mounted version to go with the frame mount. Not sure it would sustain off-road abuse though.

Decompression plunger in the flat of the exhaust cam lobe:

PXL_20210409_175425587.jpg

Centrifugal decompression actuator which is bolted to the cam sprocket:

PXL_20210409_175316205.jpg

New cam sprocket and rocker shaft retainer plate. Cam is retained with that C-ring.

PXL_20210409_175329431.jpg

Forged roller rockers:

PXL_20210409_175254479.jpg

New vented intake rocker cover:

PXL_20210409_175622000.jpg
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You mean Rocky Gap trail?

I'd better find a new exhaust for that run!
    klaviator, NSFW and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Ran into another snag. Putting things back together and I've misplaced my woodruff keys for the crank. Hoping they are just factory Honda size and I'll order a new set of those.

I could assemble the clutch and put the top end on but not indexed so I'll hold on that.

PXL_20210410_023220568.jpg

PXL_20210410_023245504.jpg
    klaviator, Mofrid, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't source Woodruff keys locally?
    Chillis likes this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Is there a secret I'm missing?

Edit: tried calling the local shit shops and they don't even answer the phone now.
    klaviator and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  9. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to find them at the hardware store. I figured a place as big as your town would have some available at a counter near you.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I didn't think it was that easy. Figured it would be special order.

I can't find a specific listing for Takegawa so I'm just hoping the original Honda pieces will work.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I was looking on Amazon and they have Woodruff key sets. I am not seeing the size I'm looking for.

The instructions have a generic 4mm Woodruff Key.

Honda clutch side of crank has a 4mm woodruff key as well.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The transmission hits all gears so that is a plus.

I'm very tempted to at least put the piston on the rod and put the cylinder in place. Could get the cam chain in place too.

New head nuts won't arrive until Monday.

I ordered the Honda woodruff keys in 4mm already. Technically, I could put the clutch assembly on. Using that little tool to put between the clutch basket and crank gear should hold it tight for the torquing.
  13. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if you put it on and don’t put a woodruff key, then we can watch the next episode when your clutch slips, and ruins the takegawa crank and we can watch this whole fucking thing over again. Again. :jack
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The clutch doesn't have one. The clutch drive gear off of the crank does.

Putting the clutch on using the gear on the crank with the special tool will allow torquing of the clutch. Then it is hurry up and wait for the woodruff keys.

Found the 4mm woodruff key on the stock crank and it is in its groove tightly. May tap it with the hammer just to see if it is the right size if I can get it out unscathed.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    gentle taps on the end closest to the crank web will pop it up on the outer end, at which point a couple thwacks with a screwdriver under the lifted end will pop it out
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Put the head together except cam sprocket and decompression mechanism but it is easy to do. Heavy duty cam chain coiled up around the crank awaiting cylinder and chain guide plus sprocket.

When I get back at it I'll measure ring gaps and if they are good, pop the piston and cylinder on and wait for the keys.

Need to get off my keister and get the ARacer installed too. That doesn't require special tools or parts, I hope!

PXL_20210410_054927465.jpg

Cam has a big circlip holding it in. Kind of neat.

PXL_20210410_055945717.jpg

Cam decompression mechanism will be a combo of bolts and a snap ring holding it together.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I am rusty!

Only 4pm and I'm beat.

I know folks aren't here to see the Super Baboon build as much as actual ride content so I'll fire the first shot off with this:

PXL_20210410_201259812.jpg

PXL_20210410_200218655.PORTRAIT.jpg

More to come but don't hold your breath for a few hours. I'm probably going to pass out upon arrival home.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Talk about a tough day! The Duke is no easy mile muncher. Between the vibrations in the bars and seat to the incredibly uncomfortable saddle due also to hardness and serious forward sloping. Brutal!

Leaving this morning the weather was excellent. Cool with a little bit of wind. No warm layers needed. I had a couple of plans for routes and bid the family farewell.

Didn't feel like stopping for pictures anywhere, just wanted to get far fast. Not fast as I've got a max cruise speed around 70 mph to keep vibes down and fuel economy up.

Potosi, Tecopa, Shoshone for fuel and some snacks. Then I took the immediate dip into Death Valley.

Here is the foreshadowing for the day:

PXL_20210410_171322131.jpg

Salsberry Pass above.

All is well while pounding out the miles down past Badwater. Possibly the most people I've ever seen in Death Valley. The place was positively crawling.

Had to wait for fuel when I'd gotten to Stovepipe. A lot of dual sports and every other type of motorcycle for that matter.

Here's the crazy part, I've already knocked off close to 200 miles and I haven't ate or drank anything since I'd left in the morning. Just a nice zen like mindset pounding down the pavement.

Up to Wildrose which is always a blast until I see this and the gears start grinding in my head:

PXL_20210410_191318758.jpg

Rocks don't seem too big and the Duke has decent clearance and has dirt bike DNA. I dial in some throttle and steady the ship up the trail. That dirty heritage nets a decent ride and I'm not hitting any hard parts so I continue until making it to a cabin barely visible from the paved road:

PXL_20210410_192008476.jpg

The shitter(pardon the French, that name cracks me up(no pun)):

PXL_20210410_192040855.jpg

Another view:

PXL_20210410_192339221.jpg

Then this little rock wall in what seemed to be a wash:

PXL_20210410_192409325.jpg

No signage to get here and I can't find the mine names, even on my diggers map.

Back to the road and proceed towards the Charcoal Kilns. As I get to the end of the pavement I make a quick photo op looking back down Wildrose Canyon. Such a pretty area.

PXL_20210410_194603514.jpg
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I grab pavement again and start heading back to check out another two track. This was a little rockier and steeper but the bike had no complaints as we made way to the discovery of the day:

PXL_20210410_195716173.jpg

There used to stand a beautiful home nestled up the side of this mountain. Lots of stonework including the prominent fireplace and chimney.

PXL_20210410_200300788.jpg

Can't find any info here either. There was electricity and a cistern for plumbed water into the house. Also had a detached garage. All with views of the Sierras in the distance. I was memorized by this place. In its hay day it must have been one heck of a retreat.

This is where I found the hatchet too.

PXL_20210410_200211061.PORTRAIT.jpg
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Backtracked to another turn off and continued climbing. The trail was more tightly hugged with trees and the rocks more disorganized in size and placement. I went until I couldn't get forward momentum.

PXL_20210410_201259812.jpg

I'm in the boonies and no cell reception. Decide to leave the bike and walk up the trail some. With the elevation, bike in the middle of the trail, and the trail disappearing I turn around and had back to the bike. Judging by the pine trees I'm guessing this to be around 6000 to 7000 ft ASL.

Back down the trail to this weird looking circular structure that wasn't recognizable to yours truly.

PXL_20210410_201837441.jpg

After looking at it and pondering over thin air my guess was cistern for the house below and that was correct.

Continuing back towards the road I spotted the auto parts store:

PXL_20210410_202605607.jpg

PXL_20210410_202643399.jpg

I still hadn't ate or drank anything since I'd left in the morning. This would definitely factor into an energy crash I was starting to feel.

On the trail back down to the road I was coasting with the engine off delicately picking my line and a Jeep was coming up trail. He moved aside so I could coast by. Noticed it was a park ranger so I asked him about the trail and what the round thing was. He did verify it was a cistern and said the trail just peters out into forest covered mountainside.

Was glad to hear that as I bid him good day and continued the slow coast down the trail.

Now to Panamint Valley but a food stop first!

PXL_20210410_205645313.jpg

This was a neat day use picnic area. No name but it is just south of Wildrose Spring. Had the place to myself although many passed by while I hid in the shade and finally drank some water and ate one of those apple danish deals they sell in Shoshone.

I was already drained at this point. Initially I looked at going to Randsburg and finding that burger place.

Fatigue chose to get back to the 190 and then ride to Beatty for food and fuel. No pics. Stopped at the bbq place and it wasn't that great. Then to Shoshone for fuel and as I got close to Cathedral Canyon I jumped in the dirt again to find a natural latrine.

Again surprised with the Duke handling the dirt without issue.

PXL_20210411_012454228.jpg

Once I'd evacuated the bladder I got this weird sensation like this would be a place somebody would dump a dead body. Not sure why it popped into my head but it was secluded, brushy, but still easy for someone to reach the area from the road.

Started looking around, following weird tire tracks and footprints and found this:

PXL_20210411_012516461.jpg

It was a woman's shoe. Got a creepy feeling so I looked around some more but didn't smell anything unusual. Just saw beer cans in the brush and a chair that looked more inviting than the Duke seat at this point.

PXL_20210411_012752369.jpg

Followed some trails to stay north and catch pavement again and then cruised back home.

Total mileage was around 475.