Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been giving passive glances to the Road King. Looks really comfortable and has the more neutral riding position.

@Fireman1000 go test ride one!

Love their style.

One thing that bothers me is the weight. They weigh a lot more than my bike.

I know it is a great bike though so you never know.

As a random observation about my FXDR, now with 3,6xx miles it has suddenly started feeling much faster than it ever has.

I'm still dropping a gear at highway pace to pass a line of cars on a two lane but she gets moving in a hurry.

I'm almost positive the only modding I'll be doing other than ergos is stage one. If I really need more power, the service writer at the shop said a proper Dyno tune with Power Vision will provide a big jump in performance.
    Redoubt, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never ridden a RK, but I'v ridden two different Street Glides. I dig the laid back, chill mood they put me in. Don't like the batwing fairing though. I like naked.:super
    Chillis likes this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    This is why I've come to love Harley.

Some people listen to heavy metal music to get amped up. I listen to chill music to settle down.

The Harley is the same way. The low revving high torque nature brings about easy acceleration and a more relaxed riding experience. Sure I like to go fast but I don't want something that keeps me wanting to go faster.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I'm hijacking your thread with off topic conversation, but if you like chill music, check out the bands Rebelution and Stick Figure. New wave reggae of sorts. I recently discovered them, and can't stop listening.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I like the RK and had one back in 2000. I put 30k miles on it in two years. What was odd is that I never customized it other than slip-on pipes and air cleaner mod to help it breathe. I rode that bike like the mule it was. Rain, salt winter rides to blissful sunny days that bike with its simple lines and windshield made it easy to push on.

I even took a paralyzed woman for a ride on it one evening. She had lost the use of her legs from a motorcycle accident where her BF had lost his life and she ended up in the chair. She was in town for a medical conference with her GF's. They went to a club that me and my buds would park out in front of and watch the Shelia's coming and going. They came out with their British accents chatting with us when the woman in the chair mentioned to me it was a long time ago since she rode. I asked her, "would you like a short ride tonight?" She with a tear in her eye said "YES! Let's do it." We then lifted her onto the rear seat of the RK with its passenger floor-boards I had on it. She held onto me and we took a short ride through the city of Worcester, MA. There is a tunnel under one end of Main St that I took her through where I gave it the beans and the ROAR of the Twin-cam motor filled the tunnel. She LOVED it. We got back to the club and everyone had their cameras ready. Everyone was crying as she was lifted off the bike back into her chair. Everyone came up to me from her group to thank me. It was one of the coolest memories I have on a bike.

I now have a 2020 Road Glide in the garage. The thing is big scooter. That led sled to putt around on while relaxed. The tunes on the bike are often set to Country or 70's rock. Just seems appropriate. I was never a tunes on a bike guy till I got a RG in 2015.

Much like Chillis I have a few bikes in the garage. The recent acquisition is my new KTM 790 Adv R. I'm surprised I don't see something like that here in this thread. LOL
    Manny U, Wierdrider, RC. and 7 others like this.
  6. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool story. My wife has MS, her entire left side in numb. She can't hold on with only her right arm, even if she wanted to. Thanks to you for taking that lady for a ride.
    Webman, Traxx, gulfcoaster and 4 others like this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Good on you for taking the lady on that ride!

As for the adventure bike in a Goldilocks size, I'm still waiting to see what Yamaha has in the T7.

I love the idea of the V85TT but not sure it would be up for the dirt abuse I'd throw its way.

Then there is the Husky 701.

I'm in a holding pattern on that front.
    Webman, Traxx, gulfcoaster and 2 others like this.
  8. ducatirdr

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention the T7. I had a deposit on one but gave up waiting when I heard they wouldn't be here until sometime in June. I ended up getting a call from a local dealer that knows me all too well. "We have one unspoken for in my allotment for the year and figured I would see if you wanted to jump on this." Of course I did with that type of all or nothing sales play. I figure I will test out a T7 when they arrive and decide if I keep the KTM or sell it for the T7. The thing I dislike about the KTM is that width of the bottom of the bike. It can't squeeze past some of the stone blockages at trail entrances that keep ATV's out.
    Traxx and Chillis like this.
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    The V85TT would not hold up to much offroad abuse.
    If you go with the 701, get a '17 or later....my '16 701 Enduro vibrated more than my '00 LC4e
    Chillis likes this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy an LC4 620 Adventure years ago until I test rode it. If that is true about the '17 and earlier I'll be steering well clear of those!
  11. ducatirdr

Oddometer:
    The problem with the 690 sized bikes is that they are definitely too heavy for the tough stuff. By that I mean two stroke territory. They let you wish they weren't so heavy when its time to do a section that you find yourself wishing there was a bypass. I'll call this big bike territory. So you might as well get a bigger bike that addresses the highway use. This is were the T7 and 790 shine. Also turning radius on my 701 is pretty bad. The 790 Adv R is too big for the real nasty stuff. Yet I have done powerline trails that I had done on my EXC-F in the past. The bigger bikes are right at home on the highway for droning along at 80mph. The 790 has an incredible smoooooooth motor. The suspension on the R has me hitting jumps that I would do on my old EXC-F I had. I am impressed with the motor. I use Off Road throttle mode and its so predictable and easy to modulate. I clutch it up in 2nd and the QS flick to 3rd keeps the fun going and going and ... If you are into such things....
    Manny U, Wierdrider and Chillis like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Weather is good and I can ramp up on a decent mileage ride. So far about 300 miles in.

Haven't taken many pictures yet. Places with good photo ops like Joshua Tree NP are full of tourists so I just blasted through.

Near Idyllwild now.

IMG_20200306_130452.jpg

IMG_20200306_130410.jpg

IMG_20200306_131012_MP.jpg

Couple of young ladies from Washington state stopped and told me "nice bike" as I was taking the picture of the lake.

Telling you, this bike gets so much attention. Where is that pillion seat and pegs...
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictures Chilli!
    simbaboy, black 8, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200306_142047.jpg

Currently resting my a$$. Yeow! This is going to hurt!

IMG_20200306_162907.jpg
    Manny U, Wierdrider, Webman and 11 others like this.
  15. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes - that middle one is frame-worthy.
    Chillis and The Virginian like this.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Brian.

I go by that place every week on my way to Borrego. It’s been an occasional ice cream stop for the wife and I.

Anxiously awaiting to see where you end up!
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Still cruising along. This is a tough distance ride!

Bet I'll have the record for a stock one of these bikes single day highest mileage.

Starting mileage was 3,739. I'm just over 600 miles already. Few hours to go.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Ranchita for the Yeti dude.

IMG_20200306_173417.jpg

Riding into Borrego Springs:

IMG_20200306_174504.jpg

The visitor center for a bathroom stop/leg stretch:

IMG_20200306_175948.jpg

And blasting through Joshua Tree NP at night:

IMG_20200306_200709.jpg

The bed will feel so good when I get home!
    Wierdrider, Webman, OldCoot and 11 others like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    After the last post I'd stopped in 29 Palms and ate at the Denny's. They're really not holding any semblance of quality there. Not worth a picture either.

I blasted out of there towards Amboy but I wasn't going to make it on fuel through Mojave Preserve so I detoured to Ludlow. I grabbed a few pics before that though.

IMG_20200306_222703.jpg

IMG_20200306_222913.jpg

IMG_20200306_222951.jpg
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    To wrap up the ride, I got to Ludlow, fueled up but needed a break. Like last year I took my bike across the street to the Ludlow Cafe(closed) and did some stretching, walking, flailing to get the blood flowing. Walked back to the Chevron and got some snacks and then kicked it for a bit.

IMG_20200306_225952.jpg

IMG_20200306_230022.jpg

About 11:50 it was time to get in the air and retract the landing gear.

It was supposed to take 2 hours and 40 minutes to get home but I made it in 1 hour 40 minutes.

Again, start mileage was 3,739. Knocked off 810 miles.

IMG_20200307_013340.jpg
    Wierdrider, Webman, MVI and 15 others like this.