1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've done enough of that. Let's speak no more of half measures with regard to Mega Monkey.
    Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Chillis. Thanks again for this thread. It is really a treat!
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember the fuel bladder I'd ordered for the Death Valley ride?

It finally arrived now that I don't plan on riding dirt with this Monkey. Go figure.

PXL_20210521_184342671.jpg

Super light so I can keep it in the backpack while on rides in case of a long stretch. Seems built well except the cap. No gasket on the cap and it seems like it doesn't fully thread on.
  4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a spout in the storage pocket on the left side?
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Yes sir! It has a friction fit into the filler neck.

No idea if it works well or not. If there were a thread on option I'd prefer it.
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I thought it was just happy to see me! :lol3
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Next week I'll get the reducer removed from the Monkey silencer to get full power.

Also meeting up with @goodquest to show him some local riding locations next week.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Did some more running in of the Monkey. It is very loud. Need to address that scenario. It moves out with authority, stays cool(although today is a cooler day), can cruise at 70 mph if you want. I prefer 60 to 65.

This last oil change I filled the oil a little too high again. Tough to get it just right.

When it is too high you get the drag in the engine plus a little can spew out of the breather. You can feel the drag as it isn't as snappy.

Also, octane booster. The engine likes octane with that 12.5:1 compression ratio. The last tank I put some in and it was smoother and more powerful.

Just ran part of a tank without it and it is a little buzzy and flat at times.

Lastly, if I can manage to keep the speeds down I'm pretty sure I can get as good as stock fuel economy. The ceramic bearings in the wheels, non o-ring chain, higher compression, and 5 speed staying in the power consistently is giving the bike a big bump back up in mpg.

Haven't run a whole tank yet but it is fairly common to see the first bar on the fuel gauge go off at my first 25 miles or so.

Riding at speeds 60 to 70 mph I just had the bar drop at 23 miles. That is exciting.

PXL_20210522_160558650.jpg

Next week after the the reducer is taken out of the muffler I'll run auto tune again. Within a week or so I should see the new fender kit, oil cooler, and rear axle.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Just dumped in some octane booster, went to the pump, and topped off. 50 miles with .47 gallons. That is with highway cruising, a hill climb, some higher speed highway in the high 80's mph and going around some new construction developments at 30 to 40 mph.

I haven't had that type of economy since before I started doing the big bores.

My plan for a second ride was to do a quick run to Searchlight, NV to get some 100 octane. As soon as I got on the street from my house I saw some weather moving in(unscheduled high speed winds and rain). I came back home instead.

PXL_20210522_184822740.jpg

PXL_20210522_184833378.jpg

With the octane booster and staying close to the neighborhood the temps didn't see much over 180°f. You can feel it smooth out too.

I think this thing is going to prove a nice running, reliable unit.
  10. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    @ E basin and 160 in Pahrump they use to have 100 octane at the pump so when your running through that direction.
    It was a Rebel now I think it’s a Arco
    ZoomerP, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I think they still do.

Need to keep a bottle of booster under the seat. The bike really likes it.
  12. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    So I only have to check in every three weeks, instead of two....to see if it's become an expensive paperweight?

:lol3 :hide

Glad you got the octane/running cool thing figured out, that will help that top end last a lot longer
    MVI, simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  13. KPK

KPK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you found a use for that desert fox bag :lol3

I am not sure what type of octane booster you are using but I have had success using "Torco octane booster" in turbo cars in the past.
    Also reference the "Racing 100 octane" fuel at the pump is usually only at limited Rebel locations in town. FYI just realize that this is not true 100 octane fuel it is actually around a 96.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The 96 octane doesn't surprise me.

Plus having a peanut sized fuel tank and most folks running regular fuel on single nozzle systems I'm sure premium fuel purchases are heavily diluted.

Over on the Grom forum I'm being advised to dial back my timing and I shouldn't need the octane booster.

FYI, trying out Royal Purple octane booster. Will see if I can find the Torco next.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    They're supposed to be robust when tuned properly. I'm not out of the woods yet. Need to make sure the timing is good and then deal with a shifting rear axle.

Aftermarket axle gets stuck in a bearing or spacer and is hell to get out. Also makes getting the axle torqued difficult. I believe the axle drifts because of this. Test rear brakes the other day and the bike shot out sideways like the rear wheel had turned.

Speaking of hotrods, nice Bandit. Been a favorite ever since riding the first gen 1200's at the dealer I worked for.

The wheelies and effortless powerslides on Vegas streets never allowed for boredom. Was out of the dealership scene long before 1250's, FI, and water-cooling rolled in.

If they sold a 1200 first gen with FI I'd jump at it.
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Crazy to find a 10 year old bike with 2,358 miles on it :loco
    It's as cream puff a used bike as I've ever found :nod
    The Virginian, simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  17. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds Dangerous
    Chillis and ZoomerP like this.
  18. KPK

KPK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also purchase Sunoco racing 100 it is unleaded fuel and shouldnt damage your o2 sensor Comes in 5 gallon metal can that would be able to store at the house. Then use the bladder to carry it while riding and when filling up just mix whatever ratio you findworks best and dilute with your fill up at the pump while at the gas stations. No different than back in the early Two smoke days and having to carry your pre mix 2 cycle oil with you in your pack. When stopping at remote areas to gas up and needing to calculate at the pump the proper ratio of oil gas.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Met up with @goodquest this morning and his son of the same name. The meetup location was close to the edge of town so we went to breakfast at Cottonwood Station.

Our unlikely group of steeds. Couple of thoroughbreds and a Shetland on steroids.

PXL_20210524_164734549.jpg

After food and much motorcycling words we got on the road for cool temperatures and a change of scenery. Up and over Mt. Potosi and hook a right onto Lovell Canyon. Temps are slightly cool, just the way you want to avoid perspiring.

Views are nice.

PXL_20210524_172504813.jpg

We cruised to the end of the road where continuing means going in the dirt. Had I not this new exhaust we could continue the dirt road to the summit and Trout Canyon but alas, big displacement means big crankcase pressure, means oil catch tank where an up-pipe could go.

We doubled back and then made a stop at the Red Rock Overlook.

PXL_20210524_183029620.jpg

The Monkey is running good. Temps stay in an acceptable range, even while climbing up to Mt. Charleston. I pull over in one spot as the temps get around 230°f. Not bad considering we are climbing a mountain for miles!

As we get to Kyle Canyon and cross over to Lee Canyon the bike runs very cool despite steeper climbs but lower speeds and higher rpm.

It was at the ski resort where we were cooling off due to elevation that the Monkey started acting up.

PXL_20210524_200229853.jpg

When we started back down the mountain the Monkey did not want to start. I've ran into this maybe once or twice before. The bike spins up but doesn't fire.

So I rolled down the hill and popped the clutch in second gear and off we go. There's a slight hesitation off idle that I've got to get ironed out as it affects the starting at high elevation. Idle has been a little low too.

We stopped for a look at the burros that were wandering the mountain. Then down to the meadows of Lee Canyon where a solitary wild horse looked an awful lot like it was ready to pop a colt.

PXL_20210524_202721637.jpg

PXL_20210524_203101178.jpg

It was getting later in the day and I had some work to attend to so we headed back but did a little off-road section where the Monkey wouldn't want to start again. The idle fueling seemed to be struggling with the random popping and flat feeling. I'd forgot my screwdriver for adjusting the idle mixture screw so I couldn't address that.

I resorted to bump starting to restart any time while at elevation.

Then we took a combination of highway and city streets to get back. Highway cruising at 70 mph as ambient temps rose, so did my oil temps(was not running octane booster).

Back down in the valley the bike starts just fine but still has that soft/flatness right off idle.

By the time I got home I get the screwdriver and adjusted the screw to 2 turns out and I got a strong idle back.

That said, I'll wait until after the muffler is fixed to start tuning again.

Still need to do a valve adjustment as well.
  20. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Sorry Buddy, I get it’s a hobby but it just seems you took a monkey that you took exploring and made it good for one thing going 80 mph down the highway.
    That’s great but I don’t see that as you, you have always been the hey where does that road go kinda guy and now I don’t see that coming from this bike.
    black 8, y2blade and B10Dave like this.