1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is why I'll get the next model with the upgrades from Honda and only do minor upgrades like suspension.

I love riding the hot rod. Need to go through a few things still but I wouldn't change the direction it is going.

If it weren't for the exhaust I'd still run it around the dirt.
  2. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got the FXDR out to show @goodquest some more local haunts today. Almost called it off due to a wicked bout of allergies blowing out my sinuses and eyes.

In a last ditch effort to be ride ready, the sinus irrigator was busted out and I flushed the bejesus out of my nose in the early hours. Good enough to subdue the constant irritation for the last day.

We met at the Vegas sign after I made a quick stop to help a buddy change his flat tire and from there we rode to Boulder City for breakfast.

The Coffee Cup to the appetite rescue!

PXL_20210526_162813815.jpg

One of my favorite breakfast stops. Damn good food and equally good scenery. That there is a pile of hash browns covered with cubed pork chili Verde and a couple scrambled eggs for a roof. This place was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. For good reason.

Today wasn't going to be a backside buster. The allergies are roaring and Vegas is preheating for summer. So while we were in BC where the breakfast is good and the grass is green we headed over to Hoover Dam.

Starting to get busier around those parts as we waited in a decent sized line before entry. Once past security the motorcycle parade crossed the dam and I pointed out the old pillbox secretly overlooking the structure.

PXL_20210526_173813153.jpg

After the parade back and around Boulder City we shot south to visit Nelson and the Techaticup Mine, home of many movie scenes, nude photo shoots, automobile demos, weddings... you name it.

PXL_20210526_183426227.jpg

PXL_20210526_183440780.jpg

PXL_20210526_183527240.jpg

A lot of cool old stuff on the property which belongs to a single family that lives there.

A film crew was coming in when we were on our way out.

That rapped up the ride. The winds were howling yet again and the temp wasn't cool. My sinuses weren't cool either trying their damnedest to raise holy hell. We cruised back into town and back to work.
    Wierdrider, black 8, NSFW and 14 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Who here has had a shot of gasoline? I think that happened the first time I siphoned gas. I got my second mouthful of gasoline today. Nothing like unleaded fresh breath.

Despite a fuel debacle, Imu and I got a good scenic ride filled with rocks, dust, cacti, Joshua Trees, canyons, mountains, gun slinging, dead bodies and a reservoir where the bodies never made it to.

Our tale starts with a piece of Michigan. Not many people have ever seen the place as it is very far from civilization and only the steadfast are willing to forge through the legendary if bitter winters.

Since most of us don't burn so hot we have to wait for a piece of Michigan to visit us. Enter the Brad Pitt of Bollywood himself, @simbaboy!

PXL_20210530_145230527.jpg

Not only does he bring the charm but also Japan's finest of stallions. Where does he go when not bringing summer to Michigan's frigid winters? The place where dirt runs red and the families grow long of course; Utah!
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 11 others like this.
  4. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    “The Brad Pitt of Bollywood” …

oh yeah, sure. We know the charm, BUT!!!

Show us the gunslinging, that we might be able to relate to better. Just sayin
    simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    After threading our way through half of St. George with roads empty except for the few families who were on the warm up lap of the LDS 500, we made it to Navajo Drive.

New Bearclaw Poppy Navajo Trailhead
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/sQE2En7khuS3nGwQ9

Our run today would be more gentlemanly like compared to those late for sermon. We'd mostly cruise through graded scenic byway away from the masses seeking depth of canyon, exposure of cliff, and nature's corrugated vistas from afar.

It isn't windy or too hot yet as we cruise this dirt ribbon through the hills.

PXL_20210530_151938471.jpg

When you look back at your pictures and realize how difficult it is to capture the grandeur, the texture, the color..

So many better opportunities for photos but we've got a decent length day planned so we can't go @sealsam with the picture taking.

Still we make our way to a mine site I was hoping to get close to and see the old structures but the state of Utah had destroyed the old road up to the mine and you better believe this day had not time for hikes!

Waste rock on high!

PXL_20210530_154456518.jpg

Our Yamaha brochure photo with hired male model!

PXL_20210530_154328026.jpg

At this point we've seen the mine on the mountain and cannot get close so we parade back down to the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Road. This is my third time on this road and it is still a gem.

PXL_20210530_160404576.MP.jpg

PXL_20210530_160836710.jpg

If you've ever driven the Virgin River Gorge then you've passed the one exit in there for Cedar Pockets. This view shows the canyon that runs down to that exit off of the interstate(regular and wide angle):

PXL_20210530_161236927.jpg

PXL_20210530_161231947.jpg
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Rd serves up turn after turn, climb and fall and nothing more threatening than a beautiful view.

As we are almost at the exit of the last canyon before old highway 91 we stop and enjoy the silence before Mr. Pitt wants to indulge in the freedoms of the west. Out comes the great equalizer aimed at a steep mountain face before a crack rings out in the quiet before the sound waves ricochet right back at us.

If it wasn't Cool Hand Luke!

Gun slingers were here and no signs were harmed in the firing of lead.

PXL_20210530_162559882.jpg

The last canyon before we shred some pavement:

PXL_20210530_162610512.jpg

Clint Eastwood eat your heart out!

PXL_20210530_163337910.jpg

Temps are warming up and our elevation is low(er) so we run Old 91, pull a hairpin turn towards Gunlock and then start climbing into the hills.
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 8 others like this.
  7. goodquest

goodquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like another great area, I guess I will have to add this to my list.
    Wierdrider, sealsam and Chillis like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    What we are doing now is gaining elevation to reduce the temp exposure. We end up taking an ATV route which is rocky and full of switchbacks up and over multiple rises in the terrain. Pics are minimal until we see the Veyo Volcano.

PXL_20210530_174445266.MP.jpg

PXL_20210530_174528349.jpg

Since we are on open range we have to move some cattle from a fence to open a gate and get out.

Then we can start climbing the forest roads towards Enterprise. On the way there looks to be a nice Vista point for a photo op which would also have a gift of the macabre variety.

First the view:

PXL_20210530_182718305.jpg

Panorama to try and show the road:

PXL_20210530_182801500.PANO.jpg

I'd noticed a couple of black bags off behind us and as curiosity would have it I couldn't let them be. Things are about to be gross(Warning)!

PXL_20210530_183125765.jpg

Immediately visible was a skull of a predatory animal with some nice incisors.

PXL_20210530_183140462.jpg

The wind was picking up and thankfully pulling any odors from rotting corpses away from us so I got a stick to push away the bag to reveal the contents of one of the bags which was extremely disgusting:

PXL_20210530_183505763.jpg

The smell rolled right up to my face and I was stunned. There weren't even maggots yet.

Didn't mess with the other bag after the first bag's odor was swinging like Mike Tyson.

Anybody know what the other skull is? Thinking it is a big cat with those teeth.
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 7 others like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    We pushed on into the mountains until coming to some towering granite forming a jagged wall.

The size of these rocks is not translating well to the photo.

PXL_20210530_190250911.PANO.jpg

PXL_20210530_190400267.jpg

We were really close to our last major attraction: Enterprise Reservoir.

We got a bunch of pictures with the steeds on some granite formations so I'll post a few of them here.

PXL_20210530_192336639.jpg

PXL_20210530_192353874.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210530_192431154.jpg

PXL_20210530_192447527.jpg

PXL_20210530_192627787.PANO.jpg

PXL_20210530_192739884.MP.jpg

PXL_20210530_192719784.MP.jpg
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 12 others like this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    It is later in the day and I'm getting tired and we're both hungry. I failed to mention I slept an hour and a half this morning before having to get up and hit the road for St. George.

The ride wasn't strenuous at all. Pleasant scenic cruising. Didn't matter though. 1.5 hours of sleep, drive 2 hours to meet up with Imu and then iron out some beautiful desert scenery and still have to drive home after. I'm feeling it.

Instead of anymore itinerary additions we make haste towards St. George knowing there is food available in Veyo. The TW is cranked up to 55 to 65 mph depending on speed limits and tailwind(with us on the way back).

The TW kept cutting out and I'm not sure if the jetting is off or what. We maintain pace until getting to Veyo. With the pizza and pie places open we can get a pizza/lunch or get pie and then go.

I'm good for either option. That pie is that good that I could lunch on it alone!

Imu decides pizza. We decide what to get and as a Hawaiian pizza fan I opt for the Hawaiian Volcano(a play on the fact that the town has the volcano).

Pineapple, ham, jalapenos, and a spicy tomato sauce. It was very good and very spicy(IMO).

While I'm doing this,

Imu is pouring on the pepper flakes on his pizza.

PXL_20210530_203827666.jpg
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    After lunch we continue the ride back to the hotel and all is well until the Tdub starts to sputter and dies.

Imu says it is out of fuel.

I'm thinking it can't be. Looked like there was plenty of fuel the last I'd checked and I hadn't even used reserve yet.

Low and behold when I look at the petcock it was on Reserve from the start. This is where I washed out my mouth with some 87 octane before we get back to town and refuel.

That sums up today's run.

Imu, thanks again for the invite. That was a very nice run with great company.
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 11 others like this.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ive had gasoline, oil, coolant, brake parts cleaner etc.......

the worst is gas in an ear...... don’t attempt a fuel filter change on a Rolls Royce silver spur without first draining the tank.
    Wierdrider, black 8, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    None of this sounds like a good time.

Luckily we're fresh out of Rolls' at the moment.

We got the other rolls though and not to be vulgar but that pizza is going to be like a space shuttle entering the atmosphere...
  14. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a great final ride in of our Western Trip.
    Thank you Brian for taking the time, again!
    I will post the few pics I took soon.
    Gotta get up and head to LV soon.
    Imu
    Wierdrider, black 8, NSFW and 9 others like this.
  15. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Brian @Chillis feeling it at Enterprise Reservoir:

[​IMG]
  16. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in The Mojave Desert play area:

[​IMG]
    Wierdrider, black 8, y2blade and 9 others like this.
  17. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:

I tend to check in Monthly, I hope this helps :pep
  19. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wierdrider, y2blade, simbaboy and 2 others like this.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha went through that reflector recall not too long ago