1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Racerx43

Racerx43 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok what were those? They look like bats?
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Javelina or boar/wild hog derivative for the open bag.

The big skull I'm not sure. Big bear or big cat looking teeth, broad crown with a big dip between the halves. Was hoping somebody with expertise would know. @MVI

PXL_20210530_183140462.jpg
  3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Brian @Chillis for another brilliant day.
    Both K and I really enjoyed The North Rim very much.
    It was very nice to hang out with your family.
    K and I
  4. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got home at 10pm. Not bad for a trip to the North Rim.

Utah has been busy with the Southern Parkway wrapping it from I-15 to State Route 9 just outside Hurricane.

I'm sure the farming locals south of Hurricane will be happy to have the tourists not ripping through their neighborhood now.
  5. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, but my money is on the North American Lion ( your big cat theory )

Bears have flat top on the skull, perfect for deflecting .355/.357 bullets. .41/.44 is recommended for a bear if doing a head shot with a handgun. Provided you have a tag and it is a legal season on bear.
    Wierdrider, ZoomerP, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got a little Monkey action in here. This was from a couple of months ago. At the beginning and towards the end.

7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Not much progress on the Monkey lately and motivation matches that. Just saw 114°f while driving over to pick up my exhaust.

One shop I asked to remove the inserts in the perforated core so I could attain max flow. They sat on it for a week.

Took it to another go to and they didn't quite understand what I was after and took everything out and reassembled. Can't imagine how annoyingly loud that would be!

The restrictions are significant though and when all is said and done I look forward to more power!

Look at these chokers!

Catalyst holder:
    PXL_20210604_235425113.jpg

End cap side reducer:
    PXL_20210604_235456314.jpg

This is a 1 3/4" perforated core.

Also, the packing was already blown out in a spot by the entrance of the end cap reducer.

My plan is to grind the welds holding the reducers in to remove them and wrap it with stainless mesh and then I have some ceramic fire blanket packing to wrap it with.

Still have to do steering head bearings, fork oil, fender bracket, and second oil cooler.

This exhaust has been a pain in the a$$!

Edit: may just find a new core to install.
    Wierdrider, y2blade, Mofrid and 5 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Found my old Photobucket account tonight. Years ago I'd backed up all my pictures to Picasa, Google's old photo sharing webpage. When they switched to Photos or whatever iteration followed Picasa I lost all of my old pics.

Kind of neat to get some of the old pics back.

Becoming a parent and starting your own business has blurred my past. So much has been forgotten.

My dad had wanted to get back into motorcycling since he'd stopped when us kids were young. He goes and gets the biggest motorcycle on the market, the BMW K1200LT. 2005, I believe. First year of electric centerstand.

He dropped it once and then really crashed it another time headed to the Hog's Back north of Escalante. He was one turn away from death as he kept running wide and using only rear brake, afraid to lean, target fixation. Committing every motorcycling sin in the book.

After riding the crashed bike back to Vegas for him, insurance fixed it and I took it over.

To be young and handsome again...
    P1010022_zps8124f579.jpg

This was at the Rock Store parked across the street.

P1010012_zpsc9db263f.jpg

Seeing these pics brings a desire for a road machine again. I used to chase sport bikes through Red Rock(and spank all but the fastest of riders). Pretty easy to pound out big mile days too. Cruise control, stereo with 6 disc changer, heated goodies, electric windshield adjustment, plenty of storage.

That poor bike met its demise early on a Saturday morning when I took a turn too fast that was recently reconfigured on the highway and a $25,000 bike was totalled. The wheels were bent in, the luggage had jettisoned off.. I was pretty jacked myself. They weren't made to catch air at 60 to 80 mph.

Thank goodness for strong genetics. Was able to walk away even with a few breaks the infamous Las Vegas medical system missed.

It wasn't but three weeks after the LT crash that I was back on my DR650 which I ended up riding around the country. Las Vegas to Maine to Florida, and back along the southern US to Las Vegas... on a stock seat!

Those pics are gone. Too bad as one of my favorites was of my loaded DR on Deal's Gap.

Then I parted it out due to age. Times were tough so I got into scooters. Which ended up being a lot more fun than I anticipated. First was a Genuine Rattler. Can't find pics but I loved that thing. Loved the 2 stroke and started to modify it with expansion chamber, jetting, YSS suspension.

Then I had to have the Ferrari of 50cc scooters, the Aprilia SR 50R Factory and this thing was much more fun to ride and the quality was a moonshot past the Genuine. Plus it was faster so you weren't feeling like the desert rednecks were about to run you over with their impatience.

IMG_20130411_214054_zpsda5a75bc.jpg

I miss that one too.

Went through a few others before getting an older ZX6-E. This thing, I was cruising out by Area-51 and got pulled over by a sheriff for catching up to him as I was cruising north of 130 mph(it may have been 140's) and he let me go with a warning thankfully.

IMG_20140620_132542677_zpstxashhxf.jpg

That bike was a great road tripper too even though it had zero torque: the plight of a 600cc four cylinder.

IMG_20140310_153703375_HDR_zpsjtgaoxr6.jpg

It reminded me plenty of riding my brother's ZX11-D, without the king Kong thrust.

By the time my daughter was on the way Yamaha brought out the S-max which I was smitten with its looks and stats so my compromise as a new father was to get something slow and stay out of trouble.

IMG_20150213_133905106_zpsynuemos8.jpg

Still managed to knock out 400+ mile days with it. Another bike I miss. So light and easy to live with yet fast enough for our freeways.

Nowhere near an all inclusive history. Just a few pics I'd found from Photobucket and some memory lane jogging.
    black 8, tominboise, danh600 and 19 others like this.
  9. Racerx43

Oddometer:
    I had one of those SR50’s I rode the crap out of that 4500 miles when we finally parted ways. It was FI and the fuel pump was starting to go, the motor needed to have the upper freshened up, tires, brakes, the works - I mean that thing did some of the hardest time..
    Always wanted to try the 4 stroke version since then….
    y2blade, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I did the fuel pump fix after reading up on HGT's webpage and forum posts. Did the derestriction and added a pipe and I think Malossi transmission parts and that little thing did alright on the mean streets of Vegas.

Was that your pit bike?
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:

Shout out to @KICKNBACK on this video and his favorite tool!
    simbaboy, KICKNBACK, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice metric nutfucker you got there
    B10Dave and Chillis like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Thankfully that was used to loosen the square adjuster end of the tensioner.

Got another tool in the interim to make adjustments should the need arise:

PXL_20210525_011637065.jpg
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    spoke wrench!
    y2blade, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a 4mm square socket without buying a bunch of tools so a member suggested this.

If anybody needs a 4mm square wrench/tool this Park Tool spoke wrench in blue is 4mm.

This green one was too small so I hit it with a grinding wheel to get the size I needed. Works perfect for the low torque necessary for the manual tensioner.
    Wierdrider, B10Dave, y2blade and 2 others like this.
  16. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    4mm ignition wrench
    Or 4mm turnbuckle wrench for RC cars
    B10Dave and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Square?

Nevermind. Saw them.

That would work but I just wanted something that wouldn't allow much torque to be applied.

Thought my valve adjuster tool would have worked but it is smaller than the cam chain tensioner.

After consulting in the "Garage" section this spoke wrench was the easiest tool to add to the bag without buying another set of tools.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Nothing like an underpowered compressor and a grinder. Took me forever to get the reducer out of the end of the exhaust core. I'd say probably a 40 to 50% restriction of airflow there alone.

The catalyst holder isn't as bad, probably 30% reduction. I'm sure the sound will be painful but the fury will be fun.

Definitely need another system after this hack fest.

Got tired of waiting on compressor recharges to get the catalyst side done. Let the shop handle that and the repack.
  19. Racerx43

Oddometer:
    Yes it was - and it did some “races” at the track too after hours ;-)
    Chillis likes this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Been waiting forever to put the last pieces on because of exhaust snags.

Decided to at least assemble the front fender without installing it yet.

PXL_20210611_062140826.jpg

Probably going to do the same with the oil cooler, get it assembled and then mount when the exhaust is done.

Need to be able to run it to make sure the cooler is bled.
    Wierdrider, y2blade, simbaboy and 2 others like this.