Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No locator beaconry. I need to get something like that though. My wife worries. I've been doing this stuff so long that I don't really take big risks within my scope of abilities. There is much more that I could have done today but I didn't have a hat for hiking in the sun to go see that cave or extra hydration.

The cave, I could not find any mining information with the miner's app I have.

For the above stated reasons I left it for another day's exploits. I don't want to ride the motorcycle to it, hike up there, and then be tired and ride back through the rocks to the road and then home.

I will though. I think it is a mining area that just isn't well known. There was a very subtle two track to the cave that you would miss if you weren't looking over there at the right time in passing.
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool, I love the exploring aspect of riding!
    Thanks for the RR’s, be safe.
    Chillis and eaglescan like this.
  3. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    what he said ^
    Wierdrider and Chillis like this.
  4. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^!
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap Awesome shots!
  6. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This week has been glorious in the desert with temps in the low 90s, but it looks like summer is starting early this year! Next week projected to over 110 degrees in my neck of the woods! Time to break out the kayak and hit the lake!
    Chillis and Wierdrider like this.
  7. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are enjoying the 701. If it has the same seat as the 701SM I applaud your 100+ mile rides. My 701 has me squirming after 30 minutes and in pain at the hour mark. Probably due to sitting on the road and standing off-road.

You have to admit, that stock seat does look slick in that blue and yellow trim. I'd pick Husky over KTM just for that color scheme. I'm not a fan of orange. Have you wheelied the 701 yet? What a hoot!
    The Virginian, Chillis and Wierdrider like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Ouch!

I'm chomping at the bit to get the Husky set up and serviced for long runs and the FXDR.

Yew Tah is calling my name!

And central NV.
    The Virginian, MYUMPH and Wierdrider like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The seat is brutal. Can't wait for that Seat Concepts. Originally went with the black color cover but then contacted them to make it all blue. Blue looks too good to switch.

The 701 seat is miles better than the Seat Concepts I had on the CRF450L. The Honda stock seat may as well have been a spike strip it was so bad.

I'm going to start calling KTM Burger King. That is what the colors remind me of. Hate to sound vain but that is my gripe with the brand.

Husky all day!

I have popped the front wheel up on the 701 but I'm not really in the mood to do it. I don't know why but this thing has me pretty chill on the road. Hope it stays that way because usually I'll get comfortable and then get wild with sliding around corners, wheelies, and general foolery.

I really like this bike. Much more so than I thought I would.

Edit: anybody know if wheelies with the tank/fuel pump location can starve the pump/kill it?
    The Virginian and Wierdrider like this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be doing the service on this thing myself. Wasn't looking forward to working on bikes again but I can't find anybody local that I trust to do the work.

Local dealer wanted close to $400 to do an oil change and the other basic 600 mile service stuff(for what they did to my Honda that was spraying a dirty chain with lube).
    The Virginian and sealsam like this.
  11. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where’s that unlike button? No valve check right away?
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Shimmed valves. I'm not checking them this early.

I don't even know when it is called for since I don't have manual for my bike.

Edit: manual for the 2019 says inspect valves at 6,200 miles.
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 Bro's?
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    No 3 Bro's here!

Just a bunch of scammers!

I'm seriously considering getting the tools for tire changes and basic maintenance and start doing that on the side. If they are charging that type of money, I'm in the wrong business!
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize it was Memorial Day weekend so places are jam packed with work to get done.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    3bros is good,

you might like Lior's moto ride also, he's an independent, super cool, and HAS JOKES!
  17. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    My 701SM is always on the back wheel. I never feel it get starved for fuel. Although my KTM 790 with its saddle bag tanks will starve when you are below 1/4 of a tank. Of course the 790 balance point is pretty straight up.
    The Virginian, Chillis and Wierdrider like this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Could not find Dunlop Mission tires in stock sizes along a 260 mile range from here to Los Angeles. Must be popular or my size is not. Ordered a set from RevZilla.

Was able to get oil change supplies plus I've got an oil change kit coming as back up. Figure I'll do the oil change so I can still ride. When tires arrive, I will take it in to somebody to go over all of the nuts and bolts while swapping the tires.
    black 8, Manny U, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Just did oil change, chain adjust/clean/lube. Feels good. Can't wait for the tires and seat. Also, I think I'm too heavy for the suspension. Bringing her down!
    black 8, Manny U, Wierdrider and 2 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Supposed to mountain bike this morning but the guy I ride with had bike issues. Gets flats every other ride and is currently without a replacement.

It was a beautiful morning so I consult with the wife before heading out to see yet another site I've scoped out on Google maps. Go to the gas station at the edge of town and top up(still pulling 50 mpg) and head towards Pahrump.

Once there I stop for a fluids break. Downing a Red Bull and most of a small Gatorade, both sugar free because that's how I'm rolling nowadays. Then it is off towards Shoshone.

I see a turn off that I've been meaning to explore for years and finally do just that. Up we go!

IMG_20200526_104730.jpg

IMG_20200526_104744.jpg

Behind the bike in the distance in the next pic is a road I'll explore at another time. It leads to some old mineshafts.

IMG_20200526_105057.jpg

I'm uploading a video of where the main course of the ride was to. I'll post up a couple snaps as well and add the video later.

The point of the ride was to find an old cabin used by miners or homesteaders. Crazy place for the latter.

Plenty of water trickling out and some huge date trees plus lush swamp like vegetation. A great place to be if you are in the barren Mojave desert.

IMG_20200526_112027.jpg

IMG_20200526_112431.jpg

IMG_20200526_112457.jpg

There is a collection of old cars and trucks there as well. Here are two of them and the video will have more later.

IMG_20200526_112010.jpg

Once I was done baking in my black jacket, helmet, and gloves the bike was remounted and my way was made back to the road. About 6 miles of gravel and rock with some nice washouts that could kill you if you wanted to be Ricky racer bombing through the desert.

Once back to terra firma I rode into Shoshone. Was going to clean my face shield but they didn't have any paper towels. Without removing any gear I headed back to Vegas.

Not before taking Furnace Creek Rd to bypass Tecopa and Hot Springs. Haven't done that in at least a decade.

Making way up over the South Nopah Range Wilderness area I eventually stop at Cathedral Canyon road to cut across to the 160 and head back to Vegas. It was a blast of a road. If you had more of an MX or hardcore dirtbike you could really air it out over all of the little dips and peaks.

IMG_20200526_123432.jpg

Finally got to the 160 and had to open a gate to get out. Glad it wasn't locked up. Tired of seeing locked gates when you are trying to exit wilderness areas.

IMG_20200526_125544.jpg

Haven't filled up the tank yet but it went all the way until 150 miles until the light came on. Now that the bike is broken in I'm just cruising it now at 70 mph indicated. Decent pace to run sans windshield. Guessing I'm closer to 55 to 60 mpg which is awesome for swinging such a big piston!