Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @black 8

If you can rip up here for a 1pm lunch, come on with it
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Some other time Colby, I've already got a pizza and Red Box date with the family this afternoon...

I've gotta build up my "happy wife, happy life" points back up...
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well?

Where'd ya end up?

See the punk?
  4. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    What's the intake honk like on that new A/C? Any louder than the last one? It's style matches that bike quite well.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice a difference from the last one. I think because the pipe has a boomier sound and the intake has always been open, you don't perceive much change.

The newest one has grown on me. I like it the best because of the room and it looks more menacing.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Sure did. Had a one day sized meal. Or a two person nachos throw down! Man those were good. Couldn't stop eating!

I'll post up here in a little while the run down.

You stopped in the Barstow Railroad Museum, right? I didn't go in but the place was awesome. I'll have a go at it again next time I'm not on a schedule.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Yesterday's goal was to stop by Costa Mesa to return some stuff to Rottweiler and find a new jacket at Chaparral. Plus Colby is in Costa Mesa and those nachos looked good...

I left just after 6am and got on the I-15 and by Jean, NV there was a bad wreck with a freight truck and a small car. The car looked like it pulled in front of the Semi merging at a very slow speed. The rear of the car was pushed into the back seat of the car. The car was full of stuff so it was like a junk grenade went off with clothes and stuff everywhere.

Put me on high alert for the day.

Nothing special about the ride down to Chaparral other than riding Old Highway 58. Never have been through there but seeing Sam's posts about Route 66, decided to check it.

Good call. Very scenic with the old buildings, cars, and the Railroad Museum.

IMG_20200617_083159.jpg

IMG_20200617_083211.jpg

IMG_20200617_083224.jpg

IMG_20200617_083231.jpg

PANO_20200617_083243.vr.jpg

The old trestle bridge over the rail:

IMG_20200617_083823.jpg

IMG_20200617_083844.jpg

Of course I'd arrive when a mile + long train was slowly rolling through. No clear photo of the bridge.

I'll be back to investigate further.
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Santa Fe engine is a favorite. Really like the paint scheme too.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    After the Railroad Museum it was back to the highway to get to Chaparral. Arrived and waited for them to open and a couple younger guys came over to gawk at the bike.

Once inside I checked the jackets(looking for a lighter color for desert usage) and they didn't have much. Note to manufacturers of motorcycle gear: please stop making everything black! Tired of frying in the sun!

They also wouldn't let you try anything on.

Hopped back on the bike and proceeded to get lost wasting an hour so I couldn't go to Rottweiler before meeting Colby for lunch.

Got to Colby's place and @KICKNBACK bailed on the nacho mountain climb. Like Everest but with the warmth of jalapenos!

Good call Colby. The food at La Cañada was awesome. So good you eat too much awesome.

IMG_20200617_130833.jpg

Colby's Vespa is awesome BTW. The mirrors, wheels, all of the restorative work is top notch. Fresh spaghetti in there, lots!

Didn't take any pics as he already has.

After hanging with Colby a quick stop by Rottweiler and Dainese. Dropped off parts and one and got the shop tour. Picked up a jacket at the other and retired my several year old Alpinestars.

Then it was back on the road. Decided to go south on the coast to Dana Point and then work my way back via the 74.

Traffic was everywhere and the beach towns seemed to have plenty of people and beaches were pretty busy.

IMG_20200617_163215.jpg

I was glad to get over the mountain because traffic meant you were stuck in long lines of cars. Too bad as it is such a fun road. I would find salvation later on.

IMG_20200617_163157.jpg

PANO_20200617_164040.vr.jpg

You can see a little bit of Lake Elsinore in the pic above. The whole day seemed to revolve around pee breaks as most places you couldn't use the restroom.

I was a tanker most of the day looking for secluded stop offs to drain the reservoir. The panoramic pic was from such an exploit.

I continued the 74 east or north to the 243 to climb to Idyllwild. This was a great choice as once past the small towns and to the foothill there was no traffic. The tarmac dancing begins and the new tires stick plenty and I'm rolling the bike at a 7/10's pace trying not to drag feet or pegs but I dontouch the feet down on occasion and dial it back a little.

To me, this is what this bike is about. The engine lazily humming along and ripping through some corners. Not frenetic flirting with disaster. Just relaxed but quick cruising.

Idyllwild was shut down so I stopped at one of the Vista points. I met Tim there. An older gentleman in his 70's I believe. He drives up there, watches the sunset, and chats with whomever is around. I lent him an ear and a few words while the mosquitos were trying to spit roast us. It was about 10 minutes before the sun was to set so I had to get out of dodge.

Tim did point out these two lizards which were the same breed but different colors.

IMG_20200617_190133.jpg

Wheels up just before sunset:

IMG_20200617_195354.jpg

Sum setting, ripping down the mountain to Banning and no traffic in my way. Utter bliss.

The ride back was mostly boring slogging through Southern California traffic. I decided to try my hand at another Autotune so a set up via the app and start playing with the throttle to fill in the graph of learned throttle values.

IMG_20200617_224447.jpg

World's largest Ice Cream, anybody? Statue anyway.

Not wanting to be on the I-15 I went to Baker, up to Tecopa and over the hill to Charleston view and then home. Not before stopping for some galaxy viewing though.

IMG_20200618_002705.jpg

Ending mileage:

IMG_20200618_020532.jpg

Pulled an 800 mile day. Not bad. 1,000 mile days with smooth running tires and a comfortable seat and efficient routing will not be a problem now!
  10. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    @Chillis sorry I missed you guys didn’t get the water turned back on until after 8pm. Here’s a tip if your moen shower valve is dripping or the handle is getting stiff change the cartridge when you notice it. Moen will give you free parts and it’s usually a 15 min job to change the cartridge but if you wait and put it off the rubber comes apart and gets all over in the valve and into the balance valve and pressure valve and in all the ports plus the shower head. I called plumbers they wanted to change the valve for 700-1000 bucks plus I would have to open the drywall in my closet or tear out the tile but I also have a built in closet organizer that would have to come out so I used compressed air and a shop vac and got all the crap out but it’s a tedious job
    Webman, Wierdrider, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The Husky is about done.

Cancelled seat Concepts order. Way past due. Was going to try Fisher but they don't want to make money because they want to do everything custom.

Just need a short lever solution and maybe a new slave cylinder.

Mirrors!

IMG_20200618_114009.jpg

IMG_20200618_114032.jpg
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I've had to fix those before. Out here there are so many mineral deposits in the water that o-rings don't last worth a damn.
    Webman and Davethestick like this.
  13. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try those inexpensive levers from eBay. I had an orange set for my 690ER and have been running a blue set on my AT for nearly three years now. They look like shorties, but in reality they is room for more than a couple of fingers. They just don't seem like shorties.

klaviator and Chillis like this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I don't know if they changed something for the '20 701 but there seems something may have been changed. The ASV levers I had fit the master cylinder but then you needed to move the whole thing inboard to clear the switch housing.

Spoke to ARC Levers in Santa Ana and they said they are working on one for the newer bikes but development halted with Covid.

I'm not willing to make a bunch of compromises moving the master cylinder inboard, rotating it downward to clear the rest of the gear.

I'll just get a new set of stock ones and cut the least I need to to clear mirror adapters for the time being.
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    great to see ya yesterday brian, glad the nachos held up to the hype!
    B10Dave, sealsam, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Good to hang out.

Dude, the nachos, are they putting opium in there? I've been craving them since breakfast. I will ride/drive back down for those!
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I dunno, but they good!
    The Virginian, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    nope, haven’t been to the rail museum or any of the other RT 66 museums in Barstow, but it’s all on the radar.
    villageidiot and Chillis like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I should have taken some pictures of the actual Depot which is now the museum. It was definitely picture worthy.
  20. Mysta

Mysta n00b

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Super Cub? And never got another CB I guess(noob here)? Just picked up a CB and somehow ended up on this thread after reading a few threads.
    Davethestick, Chillis and sealsam like this.