Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What struck me with yesterday's ride was how warm it was. I was half expecting to be cold at higher elevations but it never really got there.
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, seems like it should have cooled some considering this is still June. I believe I was there around mid-June. Maybe it was a good winter for the snow pack in '17.
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:

Do you know those trails well?

Saw single track and 4x4 trail all over. Was tempted to try some singletrack but I'm trying not to gamble as much while too far from home.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This...

I don't know how you do it Brian but good on ya'...
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know that area in that detail. I did see a sign for the Rincon Trail. Started down it, but turned around because I had not recon'd the trail. Riding alone, I have to be careful of what I get into for self-extraction. Same as you it sounds.

JRowland, MYUMPH, ggrider and 3 others like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I wished I'd downloaded the area map before heading in to the thicket.

Just saw the trail you mentioned, Rincon.

Can't see the single track on Google maps. I'd like to come back and do some more forest running. I even went through a water crossing, Boulder fields, and nice flowing two track under a canopy of pine trees with minimal ground cover.

Something folks back east don't know anything about! Forest without ground cover.
    sealsam, JRowland, motocopter and 4 others like this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You forget, many of us easterners have been out west and we do know what we are missing.
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian,

didn't want to fill up your in-box with likes(again),

but one big LIKE at your latest ride.

It seems like you have a bike that may actually be in the stable for a while.

Another great post, but like I've already mentioned, you need an overnighter to the Sierra to really start experience all the possibilities in that terrific area.

Enjoy Toroweap!
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go ride some of the northern routes. With current events, I'm thinking that it may not be a good idea. I couldn't even find bathrooms to wash my hands through most of the day while in CA.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    That's how my ride along the coast and up to Lone Pine was...

Most of the bathrooms in the fast food restaurants were closed but the gas stations were available when I bought gas... other places I just went off the beaten path and did my business...
    sealsam, klaviator and Chillis like this.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the sign and trail opening I saw and rode into. Came back out pretty quick.

P4120609.JPG
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Somebody mentioned titanium butt in another thread. I'm coining another new term: titanus. I think I've got one.

Need to see the mileage I've done so far today. Met @simbaboy in St. George to ride to Toroweap. Ended up going to Bar 10 Ranch as well which is a very scenic ride down into a secluded canyon where there ranch come tourist dude ranch is located. That doesn't sound right...

Anyway, beautiful location and no difficult riding, just very scenic.

I'm in Parowan right now. Going to fuel up and then cut over to Nevada and find dinner somewhere over there. Just trying to waste time before the desert cools slightly.

I've been riding around the Cedar mountains to cool off from the earlier ride and let the desert ease up so I can go home.

I left my house around 3:15am and had to go fuel up. Hit the road around 3:30am and got to St. George around 6:00am Utah time. The Husky can move if you can hold on.

Imu and I hit the trail I think around 0630, maybe 0645 as I fueled the bike and myself but we started down the dirt road to Mt. Trumbull school house. Some traffic on the road means we are eating some dust but are making good time.

IMG_20200627_061940.jpg

IMG_20200627_062015.jpg

IMG_20200627_075904.jpg

View attachment 2392110

IMG_20200627_080249.jpg

IMG_20200627_080927.jpg

IMG_20200627_085815.jpg

IMG_20200627_085857.jpg

IMG_20200627_085941.jpg

Ranger station for Toroweap:

IMG_20200627_091325.jpg

IMG_20200627_091402.jpg

IMG_20200627_092258.jpg

IMG_20200627_092446.jpg

IMG_20200627_092511.jpg

I'll put some Imu Dakar race footage later.

More to go.
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brian, is that your first trip to Toroweap?

Waiting to here the details on this latest ADV.
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    That Husky is really growing on me. Over $13,000 (CDN) here. Ouch.
    Chillis and villageidiot like this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Second time. Rode the Super Tenere out there a few years ago.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for Imu's video to download. While waiting we'll get some other pics up.

Left off before getting to Toroweap. I didn't take a lot of pictures on the day. A few from the main view we sought.

IMG_20200627_094829.jpg

See the three rafts below?

IMG_20200627_094814.jpg

I don't always post selfies but when I do, it is going to look funny. That is because @simbaboy photobombed the picture! Just kidding Imu!

The crazy thing is Imu looks the youngest I've ever seen him by a lot in this picture.

IMG_20200627_094902.jpg

The lava flows can be seen in the darker sections of this next photo going of into an adjacent canyon and the darker colors on the right side sliding down to the r

IMG_20200627_101024.jpg

We were trying to make a decision on where to go now that we'd conquered Toroweap.

I was thinking of getting high; as in elevation folks. I'm not into that stuff. Head back to the 389, through to Coral Pink Sand Dunes, and take the 89 up into the Cedar Mountains for a cool down.

Imu wanted to be back to the family by 5pm so we took a gamble that paid off big. We backtracked to Mt. Trumbull and then went south to Bar 10 Ranch.

The gamble is in tourism being really bad right now and not knowing if the place was open.

The road was winding and scenic as it dropped down into the canyon. Nothing technical or difficult but very pretty. In spring with cooler weather and a little greenery and blooms it must be a amazing experience.

Still, as we made our way the gate was closed and I started to worry a bit. It wasn't locked so I opened it and we rode in to the ranch.

IMG_20200627_132019.jpg

IMG_20200627_132044.jpg

IMG_20200627_132055.jpg

As we parked the bikes one of the staff hands asked what we were doing and if we were getting fuel. I was glad to hear that as I was going to be pushing the limits of my bike to make it back to St. George.

They also checked to see if they had enough food for us to have lunch. Very interesting operation as it isn't heavily stocked with fuel or food so best to call ahead and make arrangements.

They broke out a sandwich bar for us and I didn't take any interior pics of the bar/lodge but it was a beautiful light colored wood used everywhere. A bunch of good looking young blonde girls were working in there. They seemed like they could probably rope a cow and kick your ass. Nice scenery just the same!

Once we ate and bird bathed(me anyway) at the sink, we departed this little gem in the desert and headed back to St. George.

We flew back. At one point I stopped to relieve myself of little urine that I had due to profuse sweating and Imu passed by. By the time I got back on my bike to catch back up he had to be a mile ahead. I couldn't believe it. That little Yamaha was working good.

I started exercising the throttle some more to reel him in and was getting up to mid 80's mph on the graded dirt road and finally caught back up.

The closer we got to St. George the hotter the fire was. I had a decision to make. Stay in St. George for the night and ride back in the morning or ride a second day and return Sunday night or head to higher ground and ride around in the cooler weather waiting for the desert to relax a little before heading home.

I chose the latter.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    When Imu and I got to the terra firma I went straight to the spray and wash to blast the dirt and dust off of the bike and myself. I love a clean bike and I don't mind giving my gear a blast with the sprayer as well.

Once cleaned off I got out to the 15 freeway and headed north to the first Cedar City exit and I'm getting delirious due to heat, fatigue, and the diet all coming together to kick my keister. The plank of a seat and handlebar vibes due to the handguards are not helping the scenario.

Once I get to the mountains the cool air feels just right. Finally bringing the temps down and feeling better on that front but I'm on a pretty good struggle. Remember, I left my house at 3:15am? A few days earlier did that monster 800 mile ride. To make matters worse my body is starting to really get the sugar itches.

It all starts to get pretty heavy so I stop at a little picnic area near one of the lava fields and there is an open picnic table. I drink another sugar free red bull, eat some plain cashews, eat some jerky, and drink some more water.

Then I put my backpack on the picnic table seat and lay back and close my eyes for a bit. Could have been 10 minutes or an hour but my mind was done for a few figurative minutes and the earth stood still.

After that I rode to Panguitch Lake and to the town(their ended up being a big festival there) and doubled back to Brianhead.

IMG_20200627_181925.jpg

PANO_20200627_181934.vr.jpg

People were everywhere. I still keep scratching my head about the pandemic and how many places I've traveled to it doesn't seem to have slowed them down a bit.

As I get to Brianhead I get onto a trail that is two track, rocky and technical. I though it may end up a replay of when I downed my Tenere on a nearby trail. It was so rocky that I was walking the bike down, engine off, in first gear and using the brakes and clutch to keep everything under control.

No pics as I just want to get out of there and eventually did get to the bottom which was in a campground I'd not even seem before.

Passing through the area I stopped for the first time ever to take pics of the S bend turns that you face between Parowan and Brianhead.

PANO_20200627_193443.vr.jpg

IMG_20200627_193733.jpg

I love that section of road. Yankee Meadows Reservoir can also be accessed from this section of tarmac.

Once down to Parowan I stopped at a gas station near the highway and got some nourishment.

While hanging around giving my body a rest from the torture device that is the 701 seat, the sun puts on a show as we approach sunset.

IMG_20200627_203613.jpg

IMG_20200627_203621.jpg

IMG_20200627_203642.jpg

From here I get back to the interstate 15 and work my way south towards home. Once getting through the Virgin River Gorge the weather has a nasty flare-up. It gets very windy and dusty with some lightning accents.

There was a Jeep that couldn't even keep speed limit the winds were so strong.

I got into a tuck behind the tiny headlight fairing which was enough to keep my ADV style helmet from twisting my head off in the screaming side winds. Kept having to stop and get drinks from the sugar cravings. What a pain that was.

Finally made it home and just checked my odometer and I'd clocked almost another 800 mile day. About 770. Wasn't trying for distance either. Also, I've left out a lot of the places I went because it was to avoid highway and I hadn't taken pics.

Start mileage:

MVIMG_20200625_020630.jpg

End mileage:

IMG_20200628_114143.jpg
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Finally, without further ado, @simbaboy in the Dakar:

The Virginian, dp064, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  19. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Interesting note about this pic Brian. The giant fire that ripped through the Brian Head area in 2017 was started at that tiny cabin in this picture. From what I understand, the owner wanted a permit to burn a trash pile next to the cabin. Forest service said NO, conditions too dangerous. Owner did it anyway. 70,000 acres, 13 homes, $34 million to fight it.

The Virginian, dp064, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I had heard also that when they were air dropping retardant that he was hit and killed. Any merit to that or somebody just telling BS stories?
    sealsam likes this.