Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    That's basically it. If it's your first time in the area I'd probably suggest a different route, but if you're looking to knock out 1000 that'd do it.

If it's new territory to you, I suggest Cedar City Hwy 14 to 148 through Cedar Breaks. 143 to Panguitch. 89 North to 62 through Kingston Canyon. Long boring section of 62 North till you can hit 24, then 25 by Fishlake. Left on Gooseberry road all the way North to I-70. Pretty section of I-70 till you find 72 heading back south. Then 24 to 12. Have lunch/dinner at the Burr Trail Grill in Boulder.

Mount Nebo and the Energy Loop are nice riding... but only if you've already done my above loop a few times in the past and you're looking for something new.

Dirt Road Cowboy and Traxx like this.
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still have to do that loop. Not this weekend but maybe the next. If you want to go, let's plan a meetup. @oldoval is in Cedar City.

I don't ride the highway very fast due to no windshield but when there are turns I like to up the pace(for what the Harley is able to do anyway).

You're more than welcome to hit the road.
  3. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Because one of these will pull him off the bike:lol3
    BAC7D71C-EFA6-4DA2-9428-D4ADFEE01729.jpeg
  4. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    On the street I tend to ride at a pace that makes people uncomfortable. I don't want others to feel stressed or pressured into riding at speeds they aren't comfortable with so consequently I end up riding by myself most often. I enjoy small groups as long as they don't mind if I want to zip ahead on the fun sections. "Ride your own ride" so to speak.

My shop is closed this Monday (27th) so I'll probably do the loop out 12 and around Fishlake, about 450 miles. It'll be a good chance to see how my knees and back handle the new bike. You (or anyone) is welcome to join. Most of the Holiday crowd (24th is UT Pioneer Day) should be back to work Monday.

5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I like speed on corners.

Don't like tickets!

Let me see if I can get Monday off!
    Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  6. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    A meet up ride sometime would be fun. I was also thinking my riding style may be different. No worries though. Not sure what Saturday's ride will be yet. New brake pads don't arrive until Monday. Changing wheels today I noticed the last bit has worn faster than I had estimated. Maybe lunch at the north rim will not be pushing things.
    Webman, oldoval and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  7. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Just curious, what kinda scoot do you ride?

North Rim is great. I usually forgo the main road to the rim and make a left at the Cape Royal Rd.

There's a cool forest service lookout tower you can climb (probably closed currently) right after you turn south from Jacob Lake.

8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I believe I saw a 1250 GS in one of his pics.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  9. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    U guys are nucking futz................Enjoying every minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Traxx, Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. -E-

Oddometer:
    Can't miss Cape Royal Rd.

Been to this fire lookout at the north rim.
    G3.jpg

The bike down there is an 07 GSA. Bought it in 13 with 7K on the clock. At 103K today.
    G1.jpg

Nice ranger invited my up.
    G2.jpg

North Rim is just grab and go food from the bar. Restaurant is only for hotel guest. No good food. No ride there yet.
    Staying at the south rim with E wife in a month. Wonder if it will still be open.
    JRowland, gulfcoaster, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Got the PHDS I ordered. Time to hopefully cure the vibes. If the vibes can't be reduced enough for me to ride without my joints aching at the end of a day it may be by by Husky time.

IMG_20200724_181619.jpg
    JRowland, B10Dave, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I love the North Rim. Haven't been yet this year due to current events. Probably wait til it cools a little before I head over there.

@-E- next weekend, that bigger loop with Nebo. I'm probably going to be game for that.
    -E- and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  13. -E-

Oddometer:
    I will need to set the new brake pads so Nebo would be a good call.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i dont see how anything in that pic is gonna limit the vibes on that bike.

thumpers thump, thats why theyre called thumpers. 701 is not a mile eating highway machine. wrong tool for the job.
  15. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a good find!
    Chillis likes this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The PHDS isn't fully assembled there. There are rubber and elastomer bushings that isolate the bar from the clamps.

When I first got the bike it was really smooth.

Think I need to have the rims looked at/tried. I've had some good rock hits. Which may also explain why sometimes it feels smoother than others. Synch of the wheels changes.
    black 8 likes this.
  17. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    There is a reason most guys with 701’s run the BRP isolators with steering damper and the hand guard mounts.
    Just sayin.......
    Remember this is a dirt bike and is more like a Xr650r not that it can’t be done but it’s all in how much money you want to throw at it.
    Also using the sub-mount will raise the bars which isn’t sometimes a bad thing as it will keep you from leaning on the bars with your weight and more pushing on the bars from the back so you use your core more.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I don't care to go the stabilizer route. Can't believe so much has to be done to maintain smoothness. Wasting plenty of dough.

Edit: it isn't really fair to the bike, what I'm doing. Western highway speeds and several hundred mile days(until it cools and I can do local rides).

Your average consumer wouldn't be doing this type of riding in a day.
  19. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a former 690 Enduro and current 690 Duke owner, I agree you are pushing the 701 a bit outside it's "comfort envelope".
    Just watched the video of two CB500X's with Rally Raid conversions on the Continental Divide Trail in the "Western TATNBACK" thread and find those bikes to be pretty impressive. The 2019-2020 500X's have decent tank capacity and might work well for the kind of rides you're doing with the Husky. Certainly less capable off-pavement, but far more comfort over long days on the road.
    Then the 790 Adventure is pretty tempting too. Two cylinders may just be the optimum number.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I need to go test ride. Think I may have made a breakthrough.

Tried fitting the PHDS deal and didn't want to start disassembly of the headlight/front end plastic/pull top clamp to get the factory clamps and hardware out.

After making that decision (I'd already disassembled the handlebar and clamps but could not get the bottom bolt assemble out) I got out the blue Loctite and retourqued the handlebar clamp assemblies less than what they were stock. Using the Loctite so they don't back out, they are now not under such heavy clamping force allowing them to use the rubber dampers more. Just reving the bike in the garage the bars feel very smooth.

May have got the jackpot!

While doing this stuff my new filter arrived to replace both the Twin Air and stock paper filter. Interesting setup to say the least and I'll get a video up of it. The Husqvarna Powerparts Foam filter.

Got that installed and also removed the charcoal canister and the worthless toolset holder box.

Flow to the radiator should be better now that the shrouds have some space for the air to escape and not just have hot exhaust heat building up with the radiator heat.

They need to work on the designs of these bikes. Especially a dirt bike that will spend time at low speeds and high loads with little airflow and worse yet, little place for hot air to escape when the radiator fan does actually kick on.

Videos later.