Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna 701 standard airbox air filters:

sealsam and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Just remember when you are in Nevada to be prepared:

IMG_20200726_145146.jpg
    RC., VEGASHOTWHEELER, MYUMPH and 15 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Sunovah!

IMG_20200727_133938.jpg
    Muscongus, JRowland, ggrider and 9 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thunder storm with hail?
    Dirt Road Cowboy, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Si! Plus flooding on roads. Filthy mess.
  6. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Capitol Burger food truck at the Chuck Wagon Motel, on the left in front of the bikes, is really good.
  7. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    JRowland, Chillis, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought,

Torrey, UT
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Not many pictures today. Crazy weather in the central Utah mountains. Still riding home. Two days of long road trips will wear you down.

Today's weather was difficult. Been soaked since lunch. Pants are still wet!

Will update when I get home.
  10. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly fires along the 15 ?
  11. VEGASHOTWHEELER

VEGASHOTWHEELER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just running across your post and I’m a local.
    When my back allows me to get my leg over the bike I try to ride with -E- and a couple of others from a Vegas.
    Maybe one day meet up and chat.
    Mike
    -E-, StephanLAS and Chillis like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Hadn't seen or heard anything.

Only took the 15 in the morning and later in the evening connecting Vegas and Cedar City and back.
    StephanLAS and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Were you in Tonopah on Sunday?

I can't tell I'm the avatar but it looks like your V-Stromm is silver.

Saw a guy in Tonopah, parked right next to us on a silver Stromm as we were leaving Tonopah Station.
    Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  14. VEGASHOTWHEELER

VEGASHOTWHEELER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes a Strommer, nope didn’t get out Sunday.
    Got 3 of them in the garage, 2 650s and a 1000.
    My current 1000 scheme is this on one side silver other.
    IMG_0283.JPG
    Was working out sizing for snake head and never got back to it.
    My 650 is
    IMG_0394.JPG
    So keep an eye out and say hi if we run across each other.
    Mike
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was filled with fast riding and stormy weather. Had made arrangements with @oldoval to meet up at 9am(UT time, I lose an hour) and was out the door around 5am Vegas time(PST).

Weather was decent and as much as I say I want to cruise and take it easy, give me a deadline and I'm wicking up that throttle. I get to Cedar City by 8:30 UT time and start looking for breakfast.

Quick stop at the All American Diner and they get my keto-eatin' punk-ass out of there probably faster than they've seen most customers eat.

IMG_20200727_085858.jpg

It was ok. Better than gnawing beef jerky which is what happens when I can't find open restaurants on the road in the new virus laden world.

Meet with Nathan and BS for a bit. He's riding the Ninja 1000 and I'm on the ground pounder, as I've started to call it.

IMG_20200727_092852.jpg

Checking over his bike I'm seeing tire wear from edge to edge so I can already tell I'll be eating dust with my butch school bus on the chase.

Head up into the Cedar Mountains as we are headed towards Highway 12 to blast some roads from Tropic to Torrey, UT.

Traffic is definitely alive and well and there are some Harley groups on their way to Sturgis.

One guy at the end of a parade couldn't stop screwing with his camera and then went to pass to catch up with his group and almost became a new grill of a Chevy Silverado.

We pulled over shortly after as there were too many cars.

IMG_20200727_105016.jpg

Twin Totems in Red Canyon, UT.
    black 8, JRowland, MYUMPH and 11 others like this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You'd never know there was a pandemic because people are everywhere. I wouldn't call it extremely busy with the lack of international travelers but there are plenty of vehicles on the road for a Monday.

Between Bryce and Escalante there are some nice flowing higher speed turns and as you get to the Powell Point Overlook it gets real twisty and fun. This is where we passed a lone Harley rider and an FJR1300 pilot.

Having to work the FXDR very hard to maintain a pace and not bottom out on hard parts. Having a gas though.

Shortly thereafter we get to Escalante and stop for shots of tequila and whiskey and chew on some snake skins. Yeah, just kidding on the last part. We grab some refreshments from the store there and what do you know? Was talking about the Desert Doctor and he rolls up! This is the guy that saved my bacon years ago when my Roadliner battery blew up at the same gas station.

The Doc rolled through and we were chatting. He'd given me his card and when I went to leave my bike wouldn't start. Called him and he had a battery and got me on the road.

What do you know now that when we are gassing up I see my carbon heat shield bolt backing out. Another trip to the Doctor!

Nathan and I roll over there and get a wrench to get my heat shield back to snug and I buy him a beer and we're off again. Nathan grabbed some pics, I didn't because I was boiling over with sweat at this point and needed airflow asap.

Now we are ripping through Boulder and up over the mountain and it is such a great road with high elevation, Aspen and Pine with beautiful views overlooking canyon and valley that the west is known and loved for.

All is well until we catch those Harley guys again(blessing in disguise). Once we'd caught up to them there were fresh tar seal lines on the road and I'd lost the front twice and hit my foot on the ground before traction was regained. Glad we caught the slow guys and were forced to ease up ourselves.

The real tragedy would strike in the next town though...
    JRowland, MYUMPH, Webman and 5 others like this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Didn't realize I had no pics on the last post. We were riding so quick that pics were out of the question.

As we rolled into Torrey for lunch we landed just after a torrential thunderstorm with a bit of hail.

I'll just post all the pics I took while we were there.

IMG_20200727_133938.jpg

IMG_20200727_134112.jpg

IMG_20200727_135041.jpg

Those first two pics were before we got to our lunch destination. We had just passed through town, wading through flood water, the consistency of chocolate milk, running across much of the roadway.

See that huge rear tire on the HD? Harley's fender design leaves a big window for water and or rocks to come rooster tailing out of. My back and helmet were covered in mud and water. My beautiful white and blue Dainese jacket that had just been washed 12 hours earlier, filthy. The bike, the same!

We actually cut back behind the main road to parallel the residential streets to stay out of the worst of the flooding to get back to the restaurants.

First one we went to which you can see across the street from the bikes in the third picture had to close as they were trying to mop out that chocolate milk floodwater from their interior.

Crossed the road and got some food at Red Cliff restaurant.

Their Philly Cheese steak without the bun was really good.

IMG_20200727_142416.jpg
    black 8, MYUMPH, B10Dave and 10 others like this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    While we eat it is still raining. Our plans are a constant shift in search of clear weather and good roads.

Weather radar is saying to go back the way we came but Nathan does not want to and neither do I. One thing I can't stand is doing the same routes twice or out and backs. Whenever possible I'll avoid it.

So we chance it and head west to try and shorten the day and minimize storm exposure. We go towards Koosharem and plan to cut south to ride some scenic canyons roads back to Bryce Canyon.

As we get to the turn for Fish Lake I'm not feeling so good on the decision of going south so just looking at the lightning storm and heavy rain there or go north to Fish Lake where there are scattered breaks with blue sky. You can probably guess which way we went.

Again, no pics as the weather is dodgy with sprinkles coming and going and we want to be out of it. Been mostly clear and we turn for Gooseberry Rd. I'd never been on this road and it was awesome.

Roads were wet and there is some gravel but open vistas all covered with rolling grass mountain side littered with pine trees, cattle, wildflowers and Mary a straight piece of pavement to be found.

We weren't going fast because the road was still wet but it wasn't raining(yet) and the temps were cool. I'll need to come back and get more pics here.

IMG_20200727_161132.jpg

IMG_20200727_161212.jpg

IMG_20200727_161518.jpg

This was the point at which the road was to get really good. Once over the summit, nearby, it started into switchbacks, dugway style, down the other side of the mountain.

Eventually we would catch rain again as we approached I-70. Once there and feeling miserable with conditions of foul weather I do what I normally do: minimized the time in the situation! Hammer down and blast through it and as we neared the 89 exit we'd made it through the rain, not to see it again!

We rode 89 back down to Panguitch and cut our way back to Cedar City. Hung out for a bit before I rode the boring I-15 slog back to Vegas. Stopping in Mesquite to clean the crud off of my ride. Poor thing!

Google maps says the ride was 798 miles. My odometer puts me nearer 936 on my recently calibrated speedo/odo.

Think I'm more likely to believe the odometer is closer now that I've verified it's function in real time with highway markers.
    ggrider, black 8, JRowland and 12 others like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Forgot to add and didn't take a pic but we got to see Utah quicksand firsthand. I'd read about it on this website but didn't really give it much thought.

A guy in a Ford Super Duty cut his turn across what would normally be a dirt corner adjacent the road. Both of his inside wheels fully submerged and driver rear wheel was up in the air. That stuff just swallowed almost half his truck!
    black 8, JRowland, ggrider and 5 others like this.
  20. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im local too, and looking to ride some easy off road .. Im pretty new at the offroad game and am riding a bike everyone tells me is too big to be learning dirt on, but its the bike I have (super Tenere). My first ever day off roading I went to the dry lake bed at Jean cause I figured I couldnt do too mich damage there.. since then Ive done some more challenging stuff including Mormon Wells Road where I laid my bike down hard(ish) and bruised my rib.. But thats not going to stop me.

I also have a Goldwing for road riding, the two bikes are world apart, but both a blast to ride.