Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to do some really aggressive off road riding on my Super Tenere.

Advice? Get a good off-road oriented tire. Next would be to carry a pump and patch kit. I'd air down to 25 psi f/r. Safe range for more traction without killing your rims.

Then practice.

I used to do Mormon Wells with my S10. Easy run for that bike.

Just be careful if you are solo in the wilderness. I'm decently strong and have no issues picking up really heavy bikes that fall over.

I dropped my S10 in a spot where it was in a rut, bike parallel to the ground and I could not get that thing back up. Kept doing more and more hardcore riding with it until that point.

Traded it after that because being stranded isn't fun.
  2. VEGASHOTWHEELER

VEGASHOTWHEELER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While bikes make a difference off-road, riders are a huge factor.
    Got buddies that ride bikes places they should not be able too.
    I do not have dirt legs for getting out there, my off road experience was always on 4wheelers.
    Now with back issues my legs collapse unexpectedly, so standing on pegs is just to stretch or air out the crotch when sweaty
    That may improve when I let them do my L3-S1 fusion.
    Then with my 4 place neck fusion, doc says I lay it out and screw it up he can’t fix it.
    IMG_0876.JPG
    But I do live by the motto “Ride Too Eat - Eat Too Ride”
    Whenever possible!
    IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    Mike
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The neck and back stuff does not look like fun.

What type of rides are you doing now with the internal 'upgrades'?
  4. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was on Hells Backbone when I noticed oil all over my rear wheel. I could tell right away it was an O-ring on the final drive. I soon learned of the Desert Dr. and had my bike on his lift. New O-ring and trip back on. He has a neat place.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Hate to say it but with all of the Covid-19 BS killing my business and getting a lot of riding in, I'm sort of getting burned out on biking.

I've done so much of it over the years that I'm starting to think maybe it is time to take a break again(I've only ever stopped biking once in my life during my VW craze in my early to mid 20's).

Hadn't posted about it because I forgot but I had another turkey vulture almost take my head off yesterday.

Had that happen on another ride recently too. Yesterday was the closest yet where had I not clamped the brakes it would have been a for sure hit.

Freaking owl did the same thing in Mesquite last night when I was riding to the car wash. Damn thing pops up out of the darkness going for his nightly dinner right over my flipping head.

These long days with high miles provide more time for bad things to happen.

Maybe when I get back to work I'll need an escape again and begin to value the experience.
  6. -E-

Oddometer:
    Fuck Mike. Nice hardware.

Took me a minute to remember which picnic bench that was. I might be going to look at a bike at the other end of hwy 2. Start with the Black Bear past Barstow. They have pie.:ricky
    VEGASHOTWHEELER and Chillis like this.
  7. -E-

Oddometer:
    Last Friday night I rode out to Dante's View for a last look at the comet. The last few miles going up the canyon in the twisties, there were lots of bats. Several flew directly at my windscreen turning at the last second. :becca
  8. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    Don’t get out as often as I would like because not sure how I will feel until the morning of the ride.
    Hate bailing out, but gotta listen to the body sometimes.
    Last ride a couple of weeks ago ran out to Big Pine CA and intercepted a Buddy returning from a 48 State in under 10 days IBA.
    500 mile day, but was disappointed the BBQ Joint in Big Pine was closed
    Glad I grabbed a bag of jerky in Beatty at the Nut n Candy Factory.
    I ‘m currently craving pie.
    Can’t decide, Veyo, Mt Carmel (or both) and 3rd choice Prescott.
    Been mulling a run to Flagstaff, drop down and run the 89 from Sedona to Prescott and hit Rustic Pie.
    I know it wouldn’t take too much twisting of -E-‘s arm to get him out there.
    If Cali wasn’t locked down would run South and get some tacos running La Crest both ways.
    Mike
  9. VEGASHOTWHEELER

Oddometer:
    Interested!
    Let me know and will see how I feel.
    Mike
    Chillis likes this.
  10. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do carry a pump and patch kit.. Picking up my S-10 has been an issue, need to practice at home. I had to abandon it once at Late Night trail off 160.. there was a huge dip and some deep holes and I could not figure out how to get through them and tried to get around by going off into the brush and laid the bike down to walk the terrain and could not get it back up.. it was close to dark and some people came by (both had emphysema and could not help lift the bike) and so I left it there and came back with a friend the next day. Im not ready to give up yet, but get what you mean about riding solo. When I dropped it on Mormon Wells I was riding with someone so it wasn't an issue.

And absolutely, good tires are on my todo list, and practice practice practice.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Hit me up if you need help.

Look at the Dunlop Mission for tires. They are the Super tire that do so much right.

I had the E-07's on my Super Tenere and they were decent all around but they vibrated and in ruts they would try to climb out causing serious instability. Just made the off road riding much more of a chore.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  12. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy fuck.. thats some serious hardware in your neck, like Transformer shit.. dang !! Good for you that you're still out there riding
    Chillis likes this.
  13. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I posted that I was considering the E-07 I forgot that I was actually leaning a lot to the Dunlops.. Kyle at Chaparall posted a glowing video and I have seen a lot of other postings that say those tires are exactly what i should be aiming for. The E-07s are confusing too because there is the + and the old E07 and the Dakar and it seems like there are significant differences between them and not every version is available for the S-10. Your comment clinches it for me, when I am ready, Im going with the Dunlops.

Theres a contraption called a motobikejack that is basically a ratchet strap on a pole that packs up real small that I am considering for lifting the bike. First Im going to lay it down in the grass and practice some, I have seen so many videos of 120 lbs girls lifting road glides, surely with the correct technique I can lift my little S-10, but if not, I might go for that contraption. Dont want to get stranded out there either and finding riding buddies who have the time, when you have the time is a challenge around here. Im on a meetup group for ADV riders in Vegas but no one is going anywhere.

Maybe when the bars are open (again) those of us here in Vegas can meet at Mr Ds and have a beer together.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. StephanLAS

StephanLAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the Neowise comet is still out there ? I wasnt sure if Dantes was closed, but in 10 years living here and being in DV maybe 15 times, I only finally got to Dantes about 2 months ago.. pretty awesome views from there, and i had been thinking it might be a great Dark Sky spot
    Chillis likes this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Harley's are easy to pick up. Especially if there are crash bars.

I had crash bars on my S10 which didn't let it fall too far. It was just that one time where it fell into the middle of the rutted out road to where it was parallel to the ground and I couldn't get low enough to get enough leverage.
  16. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m there, but can’t really make a decision. Before I promoted, and still worked 24 hour shifts, I had all the time in the world to ride. Last 4 years I’ve been Monday-Friday, and just don’t have as much free time. Still can’t come to terms with not having a bike in the garage
    when the mood strikes. I’ve been riding since I was 7. I’m 42 now.
  17. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't quit now.........But you have gone off the deep end of LONG rides!
    Take a deep breath and try shorter rides.
  18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ +1
  19. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been kinda taking a break from my IPad but I still don’t know how I missed these last 10 pages!

Sorta glad I did, though. Had a nice hour going through them. I’ll say it again, Brian, thanks for taking the time to post these up.

I understand about the bike burn out. After a few close calls I decided to get off the bike for a while. Then I just sold my Street Glide. Been riding my whole life and never not had a bike in the garage except for when my kids were babies and I was broke. Now I just have a CT-90 in the garage, but I just use it to ride to the mailbox so I don’t think that qualifies as having a motorcycle! Lol

Seeing @oldoval’s Ninja gets me thinking, though! I’d love to have an in-line 4 again.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Had made arrangements with the wife to go ride today. As usual, didn't get much sleep, maybe 3 hours. Also in a heatwave(was out yesterday for work recon and saw 117 while driving just outside Vegas, 115 in the valley).

Snoozed for 30 minutes and then got up and walked outside and it is still 90° or so.

Decided to not go as I hadn't even a plan anyway. Need a destination to get me amped up for a ride.

This is where cooler weather helps to go off road exploring in Death Valley.

May be making a big changeup really soon though.