Chillis rolls out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chillis, Feb 29, 2020.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep Brain,

glad to see ya back in the saddle, you haven't missed anything except heat, fires & dust...nothing lost.

Welcome back to exploring, I certainly appreciate it!

Suggestion(which are usually pretty useless from me)could you screen shot a map of the area you travel?.

I can visualize the area your in on this ADV, but it might make it a bit clearer for many that are vicariously riding with ya.

Welcome back, ping us up when SoCal bound!!

:super
  2. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That ride really loosened up my knee on the bad leg. I can fully sit down on my ankles again. Before the ride I was not able to do that.

I'll be posting the Husky up for sale real soon.

As I shift into work mode the motorcycles will be taking a sideline.

Although there are a couple places I really want to see with the Husky before I sell it. Not sure I'll get to them just yet.
  4. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. First gen Civic is my guess. The 600 (and the 400 and 360) were 2 cyl engines. The C pillar is a little thick to be a 600 as well.
    Don
  5. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So when the time comes what do you think is the next bike to replace the 701?
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Great question. I may get something smaller or go back to trucking off road. My concern is taking too much of a beating while getting out and about. With me being in the 40's and my daughter being 6 I want to preserve myself enough to watch my girl grow up.

This last get off, although nothing too bad, it has me thinking about being a little more safe.
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe just park the bike a little sooner when it gets rough, and hike more.
  8. dp064

Oddometer:
    You could swap it for a Casita.. @villageidiot looks like he's having a great time!
    Don
    black 8, Chillis, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    My legs, knees, and ankles aren't ready for the hike yet.

I'm sit down riding as much as possible to keep weight and stress off of the legs.
  10. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like preferred physical therapy to me! :wings

Dirt Road Cowboy, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I think we're catching the heatwave again. Temps seem to be up.

If things chill out I want to go check out a couple places before I list the Husky. I'll use your excuse of "physical therapy."

Edit: a ghost town post office I'd found a couple months ago, some places in the Mojave Preserve, and some places near Death Valley.

When it cools it is easier to slow and look instead of being uncomfortable and in a hurry to make the misery end.
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking more about when you're back in serviceable condition.

I haven't had any bike & hike action, but that's my plan. I can get to a lot of remote places with my truck, and will eventually learn to ride well enough on my bike, but I enjoy being on foot.
    Dirt Road Cowboy, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  13. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny. You mention selling the Husky. I had my '17 690ER for eight months. Used it as I planned and knew I would not keep it. Now, knowing the differences with newer models and seeing your adventures in the area, I want a 701. Question is do I really need it because the AT has gotten me through some stuff. Stuff I would do on the 701 anyway; but, man those 690's and 701's are cool!

14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I've been an avid hiker my whole life. The only thing I don't like about hiking is the amount of ground able to be covered compared to a motorcycle or truck.

Can't beat hand and foot access though!
  15. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right about that. Two weekends ago and for one of my son's b-days the three of us linked up in Black Mountain, NC for hiking. Hiked trails for two days. Totally enjoyed that with those rascals. The second day reminded me of the Incline in Manitou Springs, CO. When I'm out riding, I generally don't hike. I have walked a bit to see something, but not far enough to get out of the riding gear. Maybe in the future. Working another plan now.

I like a hike to see something like that cistern you saw. Pretty cool. Toroweap was neat foot exploration a couple of years ago.

16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If I sell the 701 I think I want one again. I have to free up capital at the moment.

The bike is stellar. Most capable all around dual sport out of the box that I have ever ridden.

Therein lies the problem: the more capable the machine the more I will push it and get myself into situations I don't want to be in.

Yesterday I was beyond exhausted when I got to that mine camp. I ate, drank all but half a bottle of water, and didn't know if there would be enough fuel to make it back to civilization. Hadn't tested with the new map and exhaust.

Based on cursory scouting with the map it was looking like I had about 60 miles give or take to find the mine camp.

Google doesn't actually have a route to the place since it is so remote.

Ended up arriving at the camp at around 79 miles. I'd taken a few trails that were tangents from the main target which added 15 extra miles. The ride back ended up being 66 miles.

There were other places I did not make it to where old cars are visible on the map but these are even further out probably necessitating extra fuel.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    That is another thing. Once the gear goes on I don't like taking the gear off. I took my helmet off once while at the mine camp but otherwise I was geared up from 8:45am until 3:45pm.
  18. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carried a one-gallon Rotopax on my 690ER. Used it once out of caution, but at the pump I really didn't need it. Oh well. Good to have. I have carried that same Rotopax on the AT.
    Dirt Road Cowboy, dp064 and Chillis like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The fuel economy on the 690/701 is very good for their performance.

I've been wanting one of those fuel bladder bag deals that have started to gain popularity. Ride for a bit and dump it in so the weight is gone.
  20. dp064

Oddometer:
    I like to look at Google Street view before a ride to give me some familiarity with what I'll see when I get there.. if you pan down, it's usually a Prius that's taking the video feed. Surprisingly, there is a street view for Whitney pass and gold butte roads.. so you you know I was thinking.. a Prius, really?.. nope..

Screenshot_20201003-171620.png
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.