China or bust...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by beemer boy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Indochine

Indochine 'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer:
    Would certainly love to see those pix of western Szechuan. :lurk

Now, main question: Where is BB and how is he (you) doing? I'm having Unfinished Story issues. :wink:
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Hey, Carl, is that you on the cover of the new Aerostich flyer? Photo is captioned "Crazy Carl, Tibet2006". Blue Jialing with a Givi box and some gorgeous scenery. :thumb
  3. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl The Eternal NooB

Oddometer:
    I just found out about this myself and I haven't seen it yet since I still live in China (although a picture of it would be grealy appreciated).

[​IMG]

Based on your description, the image is in 2006 but it's not Tibet. The mountain in the background is Muztag Mtn. of the Karakoram Hwy in Xinjiang near Kashmir. Stands at over 7500m tall and is part of one of the most dramatic and beautiful mountain regions in the world. Mmmm...deadly mountains...mmmm...:stoned

Motography rocks,
    CC
  4. PackMule

Oddometer:

Amen to that! Love the term... Motography. :thumb

I don't see the flyer on their website. I'll snap a digital of it when I get home. Will you be getting a copy overseas? If not, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
  5. -Ali-

-Ali- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest how much does a bike like you had on the first page roughly cost in china? Just wondering about the comparison to how much they are here in the uk.
  6. CrazyCarl

Oddometer:
    The JH150GY2 runs about 800-850USD in China. How much is it there?

CC
  7. PackMule

Oddometer:
  8. tare

tare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice picture!
    And you got black register plates! :deal
  9. Andi

Andi Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread, very inspiring. All the best to beemer boy, looking forward to further such journeys.

Andi
  10. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Finished swinging through Laos, then headed south to Bangkok after crossing the border at Vientiane. Decided to see if I could make it in one day, think it is about 700 kilometers. Bike is running fine, but seems a bit slow as SUV are whizzing past me at 140 KPH...Finally resort to a sort of tucked position which will net me about 100 KPH.As it becomes late in the day I notice the rear end feels a bit unstable, so I pull over to check it. Five broken spokes....Hmmmm. These were the extra heavy duty spokes I had put in while in Xian. :lol3 I actually have exactly five extra spokes I bought as spares, but am too lazy and tired to stop to fix it. So slow my speed down to 80 KPH, and limp my way into Bangkok at night. One day to relax, and then off to buy parts. I actually was able to find a complete used wheel from a Suzuki DR 200 which fit on exactly, so just pitched the old wheel away. Now am ready to roll again.:clap
    Off to Pattaya where I have a small condo, and catch up on some gogo bar and beach time for a few days. Then head north to my home in Chiang Mai, a smooth and problem free trip.

Boys, meet your new Chinese brother. Think there was a couple of raised eyebrows, but the AT guys seemed to accept their new relative. The KTM seemed a bit snooty about the new addition.....
    [​IMG]

Let's see, I have a shop, time on my hands, and I like to work on bikes. Yep, time to modify !!
    [​IMG]

New stainless steel stand off bars for the soft bags, bar risers, new stainless header pipe,
    powder coat the exhaust, new custom seat, vibration dampeners in the handlebars, bar end weights,
    very loud two tone horns, new front spokes , new front rim, change out the wheel bearings
    as well as the steering head bearings, remove the EGR valve, and put on rubber dampened rear view mirrors so I can see behind me. Now ready for bar hopping duty . :-)

Final thoughts on my China trip. It was certainly one of my more difficult travels. Accidents aside,
    traveling in a country where you cannot speak a word of the language is guaranteed to generate constant problems. Add in a radically different culture, and then let the difficulties begin !! But like all things , this is a two edged sword. True adventure should always have some amount of uncertainty. and there was no shortage of that !! That aspect I really enjoyed, as at any given situation you were just not sure what was going to happen next. I entered China with some preconceptions about what I would encounter. Nearly all proved to be untrue. I expected some level of rudeness and indifference. These were rare occurrences. Instead almost everyone I encountered was exceptionally proud of what China had accomplished over the past decade, and would go extensively out of their way to help show it to me. It was as if some one had thrown a party, and the host was happy you spent the the time to come and be a guest. The scenery is stunning of course, as Crazy Carl had clearly shown in some of his posts of Western China. But I have traveled the world and seen a lot of amazing scenery. In the end for me it is all about the people, and the encounters you have with them. In that aspect this trip was a home run, with endless enjoyable contacts. The curiosity level is amazing, with large crowds around me almost everywhere I went. My only regret was I was not able to speak Chinese with all the people that wanted to communicate with me. When I return next year I will be sure to learn some Mandarin before I go. So if you are even thinking about going to China, I say go do it. You will be amazed sometimes, utterly confounded sometimes, and frustrated to the point of anger at other times. But in the end it will be worth it. Rewarding things are never easy.
  11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great summary and your experience with the Chinese people mirrors my own. I can speak just enough Mandarin to let them know I have some knowledge of their country and culture, but am not conversational. Still, that's enough to really get the red carpet rolled out for you. I only ever had trouble with people I knew were trying to rip me off and when I was foolish enough to let them know I knew they were trying to rip me off. Otherwise, I was treated like royalty. Having been to much more hardcore Communist countries, I sure found Chinese people's attitudes toward everything more refreshing than in the other Commie countries. People there really feel like there's something to look forward to. It must be exciting to be living in an empire on the rise.
  12. Cloud9

Cloud9 I was HERE?

Oddometer:
    Sweet report. Lots of awesome country and people. Thanks for sharing.
  13. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    I have now just seen that my friend Carl Parker in Chengdu, who helped me endlessly while I was in China, now has a video out about his adventures in Western China. Here is the link....
    http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/
    Now I can see some of the scenery that I missed by not being able to go there !!!
  14. CrazyCarl

Oddometer:
    Bobert!

Yo thanks for chiming in! Speaking of Chinese motorcycle brothers I just dropped some savings and picked up a Qingqi just like yours last week. Looking forward to a shakedown ride.

200ccs feels nice and it doesn't weigh anything! If it had six speeds it would be almost impossible to beat for the price. I'm keeping a careful eye on my spokes.

BTW they just recently stopped issuing black plates in Chengdu. :evil Sign of the times holmes! I really think its a good idea to experience China sooner rather than later and you got in at agood time.

You gonna be around Thailand for a while?

CC
  15. subash

subash whatever

Oddometer:
    great report. enjoyed reading it. some day before it gets too late.. :)
  16. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    BB, I have read your very exhilarating ride report over the period of a couple of days now, and I must exclaim what a wonderful and enlightening read. You presented in the fashion of a can not put down adventure novel, only it's non fictional, with a wonderful National Geographic flair.

I know you've received countless accolades and I too must add mine to your count; thank you for showing a part of the real China that we are probably not privy to ever witness.

You live the life Mark Twain stated in my signature line...Salute
  17. Curly27784

Curly27784 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been to China twice. The second time my wife, who comes from Behai, China gave me a tour of southern China on her scooter. If ya want to see one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, ya have to go to Beihai. It's locatd due east of Hanoi, Viet Nam on the gulf of Tonkin.
  18. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    Chiang Mai Bike Week brought out all the odds & sods n Thai biking society.
    But one of those who made an effort flying down from Hong Kong was Franki, who helped BB out in China.
    During their travels throughout northern Thailand, they joined those of us who are a little less adventurous on a short ride to Charon.
    [​IMG]
    It was great meeting Franki.
    Throughout the ride he moved up and down our fast moving column, filming one-handed with a handicam, whilst riding one of BB's ATs.
    Good meeting such a top bloke, who is also a top rider.
  19. verboten1

verboten1 nein

Oddometer:
    beemer_boy...

I was sent to this thread by way of another site EASILY 2 months ago.

your trip inspired me to look into getting a DS bike, even if it is only to explre the NA continent....I will be exploring.

thank you!!!

a new ADV rider!

JAson
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the wrap-up, Beemerboy. I'm dreaming of new places and looking at my DR200 with renewed interest.