China or bust...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by beemer boy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you Rhodie for posting this wonderful pic:D , especially when I have lost my camera and all the great pix I took during my visit to northern Thailand:becca . It has been my pleasure meeting all of you guys and be able to ride with you:freaky . Special thanks must be given to BB who took good care of me the whole period I was there:thumb . Open invitation to all you you who wants to visit HK in the future.:deal

2. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    Franki sorry to hear about your loss!!!

You can see some more pix of that day here:
    http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/a-bonnie-weekend-t3258.html

But here's moving bonding moment with BB
    [​IMG]

And the chaps
    [​IMG]

If you PM your address I'll send you a CD with the pix on it.

If you haven't lost the handicam, do please upload those vids onto YouTube the guys would love to see them.

Take care
    Rhodie
  3. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice pic guys!!! :clap
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rhodie for sharing the photos. I do have the video tapes and will try to edit it when I find time. I will send a copy to Robert so he can post it on Youtube or something.:lol3

5. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, too, would like to chime in at such a wonderful story. Idahosam took the words out of my mouth--I could not "put down the book" till I read all the pages. Crazy Carl contributes sometimes to a site dedicated to Chinese bikes, www.chinariders.net , and this thread was linked to there a few weeks ago, too.

I have been considering the Qingqi Supermotard badged as the Qlink XF200 in the US, as it seems to be a better Chinese bike than most of the Chinese enduros we get here. The plus is that it is based on the Suzuki DR200 with some interchangable parts as you pointed out with your Suzuki front wheel, and the fact that I had a DR250 in the early 90's.
  6. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl The Eternal NooB

Oddometer:
    If you've got the dosh, do it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. What do they cost over there?

CC
  7. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About $2k, or about half the price of the Suzuki DR200. In its motard guise, I think it looks better than the Suzuki, too.
  8. ronsolo

ronsolo Hooplehead

Oddometer:
    beemer boy,

I woke up about a month ago with a wild hair that I wanted to learn Mandarin. I can't really explain it. So I've been working on finding teachers, podcasts, etc, and then comes the possibility that my wife and I may plan a trip to China 2 years from now.

So I found this thread a couple weeks ago and with a busy schedule, just finished it.

Thanks for taking the time to post your ride experiences in China.

Xièxie :D
  9. CrazyCarl

Oddometer:
    If you havent' already, I suggest chinesepod.com Good program w/ exercises and interesting topics...learn what you want to learn. Travel here is better soon rather than later.

Bu yong xie,
    CC
  10. ronsolo

ronsolo Hooplehead

Oddometer:
    Thanks CrazyCarl

I've seen that one so I'll have a look. It's a lot of fun and I'm motivated so it should be interesting. I'm also hoping it might help open some career options.

OK, so about China sooner rather than later. I read that throughout the ride report. Is that because it is growing so fast all the beauty is going away?

I was going to PM you so as not to mess up this report but I suppose learning a little Mandarin may be on topic inside here.
  11. docjsh

docjsh Seoul Rider

Oddometer:
    This was a wonderful ride report. I am a new rider (only been riding about a year) and live in Seoul, SK. My riding adventures are dealing with some of the millions of drivers in traffic, but as I gain experience I hope to have some adventures around other parts of Asia. Beamer...you have inspired me. Thanks.
  12. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    You are certainly welcome, as your response is exactly why I write ride reports. My goal is not to portray myself as some sort of bad ass on two wheels, but rather to show people what is possible. Shed your limitations, open your eyes, pack up the bike, and then get out there and do it !! The world is really not that big or scary, and to me seems to be full of a lot of really nice people. Best of luck on your future travels.
  13. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    I have received a lot of emails asking about the Qing Qi 200 CC dual sport bike I bought in China, and what I did to it. So here goes.....
    The cost of the bike in Xian was about 9000 yuan, which at current rates is about 1300 USD. I believe the engine is made by Suzuki but badged Qing Qi. It currently has about 8500 kilometers and it, and has run perfectly. The frame has had a few small issues.... So here is my bike as it sits here in Chiang Mai. First some overview pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mods. A complete rear wheel from a Suzuki DR 200. Fits on exactly. The original rear spokes on the bike were weak and broke a week after I bought the bike, and the rim was steel and very heavy.

Stainless racks I had made here in Chiang Mai to keep the soft bags off the muffler.

Cargo plate I had made, then bolted to tabs I welded on the original tube rack.

Original pipe rusted heavily and cracked near the head, so had a new stainless pipe made.

Original fender looked pretty goofy and hung down too low. So cut it all off, made a new bracket to hold the plate, and put on a LED rear light to boot.

Original light was pretty wimpy, plus the coating for the reflector completely corroded out making the light almost useless. Time for a DR 200 headlight complete with a HID light as well. Also threw on a couple of PIAA lights I had laying in my junk box.

The failure of the rear spokes had me a bit spooked....So changed the front spokes to Suzuki, and put on a Suzuki rim as well.

Custom seat I had made here in Chiang Mai.

Very loud Bosch two tone car horns. Perfect for keeping errant drivers on their toes.

Welded on a fat foot, and a tab to make it easier to kick out the side stand.

Replaced all the wheel bearings, as well as the steering head bearings. All of them were of very poor quality. Also pulled off the exhaust gas recirculation valve and blocked it off. Now runs a lot better. The nut that is on the swing arm pivot bolt loosened
    and fell off. Found that by a stroke of luck. So replaced it with a nylock nut.
    For running errands around town here it is just about perfect, lightweight and easy to park with small bikes. But as I feel the bike is homesick for China, I will be heading back there in May for my final attempt to make it to Lhasa, Tibet.
  14. tare

tare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello BB!
    So you are going back, excellent! :lurk
    May might be a little early though, at least early May. Will be cold!
    Keep us posted, I'm especially interested about the border crossing.:ear

-tatu
  15. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    Cracking news that the trip continues.
    Unfortumately, I'm not sure that you can count on getting into Tibet before the Olympics.
    Neighbouring Chinese provinces/states look dodgy as well.
  16. Indochine

Indochine 'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer:
    Thanks BB for the "preventative maintenance" report (read: self-preservation). :deal

Are the clutch and brake pads original (made in China)?

So glad you're still wanting to go to Tibet. :ricky

But as you probably know, there have been dozens of deaths during Tibetan anti-China protests (nothing's changed in 1500 years). I can't imagine that area always being peaceful this Beijing Olympic year. So be careful out there!
  17. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the look at the 200. The journey goes on, eh?
  18. CrazyCarl

Oddometer:
    BB,

Extremely happy to hear you're coming back for round three! I envy some of the work you've done to the bike, esp the lamps. Just curious, if you got the bike in Xi'an why does it still have Sichuan/Chengdu plates? Is that the one your brother bought and you swapped plates? One could also mention the cost of registration, tags, insurance and inspection. Although not huge, it's certainly not a negligable amount.

The new models of the bike seem to have improved on the wheels a bit and use alloy rims instead of the heavy steels. I think you happened to get one of the first versions of the bike which, as usual, have some bugs. The tachometer just went out on mine and must wait over two weeks to get the unit replaced. Otherwise, no major problems.

On a side note, recently went back to the Qingqi dealer where you got the first one...

[​IMG]

and wanted to exercise the D300 at ISO1600 for kicks. Now if I only had an interesting subject....hey here's one!!!

[​IMG]

Good performance at 1600.

[​IMG]

:D:D:D

I love photography!

CC
  19. MISSwind

MISSwind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    who is the girl?
  20. CrazyCarl

Oddometer:
    She is just a girl who was visiting the QingQi store. The sales man did not want his picture taken but the girl was very happy! I did not complain!

嘿!这个网站可以用汉字! 真是一个国际的网站! 她只在那个地方完儿。 四川美女很多 所以为拍照好!

CC