China riding

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Ppimouss, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a fantastic time on the road through western China.
    2 bikes, 2 riders, From Xining to Chengdu during China National Holiday begining of October.
    the link to the pictures and the itinerary:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r8XAMxNkDZMtKM366

cheers,
    François
  2. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Part 3 of our China riding tour.
    Day 18 from Liuzhou to Xingping old town, Guilin. 250 km of nice backcountry roads through beautiful karst mountains, and the sun even showed up at the end of the day. What else?

Attached Files:

4. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. aussiehusky

aussiehusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Francois.
    I am very interested in riding across China in Vladivostok, but heard there's an upper age limit for riding motorcycles in or around china. Are you able to offer some information on this, if it is the case, it takes planning a trip to whole new level. Also have you got any current information or news requiring the use of a guide.
    Many thanks..
    Pat S (down in Aussie)
  6. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Pat,
    what I know if you have to be under 70 to apply for a driving license (car or motorcycle).
    It is possible that this also applies to temporary driving license that is used by company that organize tours with rental bikes for their foreign customers.
    These provisional licenses seem to be semi legal, but good enough.

All I know about the guide thing is what I have read on ADV and other forums, very little.
    You definitely need the good connections to get your bike /vehicle in and out of China,
    and that is what you are paying these guide for.
    cheers
    Francois
  7. aussiehusky

aussiehusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Again Francois.
    Thanks for that information about the age, I still have a couple of years available, I heard that 60 was the limit (we all know at this age you lose all your facilities and unable to wipe your arse).. although pity about the guide, this was a factor i was planning for anyway in the costs. I'm still putting it all together at this moment, thanks for the reply and safe riding to you, maybe one day i'll get to meet some of the people forging the path ahead of me.
    cheers and regards
    Pat S
  8. batoutoflahonda

batoutoflahonda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm working on getting my drivers/motorcycle license in China. I'm from the US, so I can let you know how its goes. From what I understand thus far, for a motorcycle, you must be under 60 to apply, under 70 for a car. You have to get your license interpreted and put into Mandarin by a notary, bout 200 US. If you have a motorcycle endorsement it will transfer as well. No driving test, just written, i think for both. You need to pass 100 questions out of about 1500 possible, and get a physical. International license is not valid here. I'm sure you are doing research and seeing that certain places don't allow motorcycles, and I believe that applies to the freeways. Also, I think you need a 2 year visa for a license. This is all car stuff, so who knows for the bike. Basically, its not just a pop in, take a test, and ride on. This is where tour/guides come in a "fixer". I've looked for motorcycle tours in China, and haven't found any, if that tells you anything.
  9. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. batoutoflahonda

Oddometer:
  11. GSRosse

GSRosse n00b

Oddometer:
    How did it go or going on getting your Chinese license? Are you living in China or planning a ride? I'm currently living in Chongqing and always on the lookout for people to ride with. I got my license and bought a bike here in February. If you're going to be doing some riding in China and looking for or don't mind another rider joining let me know.

Greg R
  12. batoutoflahonda

Oddometer:
    Hi, sorry so long to reply. Yeah, no problems with the license. I’m in Zhoushan, no way off the island with a bike, unless I trailer it. So I haven’t bought one yet. At some point in the future, will be relocating to Guiyang. Have high hopes of exploring west China when I get there. Did try driving in Hangzhou.....I had no clue how to drive in that madness, was wishing I was on a bike!
  13. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer: