China Wall without Communists... Twin Peaks without the risk of commitment

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Heath, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Heath

Heath Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago I was headed home from a ride, broken subframe in hand, through blazing heat and forest fires, thinking that "I really needed to get high... Sooner rather than later."

When I got home I called up Kyle (Ditchbanker) to see what he had in store for the next couple of weekends. Usually he's a lost cause because he's <S>whipped</S> got a very busy schedule.

Fortunately for both of us, the planets aligned and we were free on the same weekend. Best of all - he wanted to get high with me... four times in one day if you'd believe it. We did it once almost a month ago: you can read about that train wreck HERE.

We're working on getting pics together now. In the meantime, here's a teaser:

Gettin' high:

[​IMG]
  2. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    stoners
  3. Heath

Oddometer:

:bmwrider :johntm

[​IMG]
  4. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Owner of dull user line

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Heath

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk

I'm not the only one with pictures!

:evil
  6. ditchbanker

Oddometer:
    Oh, wait, wrong side of the ride report. How 'bout this

[​IMG]

:lol3
  7. Heath

Oddometer:

That'll do :ricky
  8. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    ...and...??

:confused
  9. Stormcoming

Stormcoming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh where is that picture?
  10. Heath

Oddometer:
    Patience is a virtue :D

Not sure which pic you're talking about but all three were taken at over 10,000' and all near Challis, ID.
  11. Heath

Oddometer:
    Ok... it's late and I'm gonna keep this brief.

Our original plan was to leave Boise at about 4:30pm (when I left work) and head to Bear Valley to camp the first night. Sadly, this didn't work out because of fires in and around Bear Valley. Our roads were closed so we made the decision to re-route and pound pavement up to Stanley, refuel then head towards Seafoam mine where we'd head out from the following morning.

Kyle met me at work and we took the quickest possible way out of town. It was hot down in the valley. Africa Hot&#8482;

[​IMG]

Since we couldn't get to Bear Valley (dirt roads), and we were hading for Stanley anyway, we decided to run Hwy 21 rather than 55 to Banks/Lowman road. 21 (for those who don't know) is an amazingly twisty road that runs from Boise to IDC to Lowman, then up to Stanley.

Heading out on Hwy 21

[​IMG]

The road up to IDC is pretty fun... usually. However, Friday night traffic meant we didn't get to enjoy it a whole lot. Unless you get a lot of pleasure from looking at a big KTM two stroke in the back of a Toyota

[​IMG]

Kirkham

[​IMG]

Here is our first peek at the Sawteeth (tooths?)

[​IMG]

We chilled out for a little while (waited for the bikes to cool), enjoyed granola bars and fruit leather (the world's most masculine fruit rollups) and checked out the scenery (watched a bunch of trucks and Goldwings with trailers roll past).

Back on the road,

[​IMG]

Famous Potatoes, anybody?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got into Stanley about an hour before sunset

[​IMG]

Caught up with the Goldwings

[​IMG]

got some supplies

[​IMG]

and headed out

[​IMG]

Fire restrictions in place? Reallly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we found a place to crash we busted out the soup

[​IMG]

And the hammocks

[​IMG]

Talked bikes and crashed.

It wasn't much of a day, really. I think we did about 150 miles total, leaving Boise at about 4:40 and getting to camp in time to get set up and eat before the sun went down.

Don't leave yet. I promise it gets better.
  12. Heath

Oddometer:
    Ok... as much as I'd like to just power on through this report, I've got a ride to do. Gotta go pick up a different CS sprocket then I'm off. I'll be back either Saturday night or Sunday for more pics.

Kyle: Do as you please with the thread.
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks good already.. it gets better? bring it on :thumb

14. Bembl

Bembl n00b forever

Oddometer:
    Where the h. was this fantastic awesome geil hammer gorgeous picture been taken?
  15. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    CLASSIC!
  16. ditchbanker

Oddometer:
    Really? I was a little unhappy with how some of them turned out. I guess without the panoramic, it seems a little narrow. It was from Twin Peaks lookout.

Give me a little bit, I'll see what I can do about my day one. Again, not much to see, but day two was soooo good it's going to take a while to get sorted out.
  17. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
  18. ditchbanker

Oddometer:
    The planning for the trip was an interesting process. Wild land fires were threatening much of the state, so plans were very tentative. That’s alright, we try to keep them that way, anyhow. We settled for the route for the first day at about 2:30 on Friday and left Boise at about 4:30 that same day.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The route wasn’t spectacular, we took HWY 21 to Stanley, pavement all the way. We’d gas up in Stanley and then find a place to camp.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Pavement’s never going to be the most entertaining way to get anywhere, but, if you’ve got to, HWY 21 between Idaho City and Lowman is about as good a way to travel as any. Lots of twists and turns. A good time.
    Here’s an early picture before we gain elevation and attention becomes a very scarce commodity as the turns get closer and sharper.
    I was hoping to get a better shot of the writing on the side of the dam. It reads “KEEP YOUR FORESTS GREEN.” Seemed ironic with major fire burning throughout the state.
    [​IMG]
    Here I would like to issue an apology. I ride a great deal on Kenda 270s. I’ve heard several people here and elsewhere complain about the tire being unsteady in the twists as the outside knobs fold. At about 165 lbs and riding a DR650, I always wondered what caused these people to make these complaints. The Kendas always worked fine.
    Enter my new Happy Trails Panniers.
    Between the extra weight of the panniers and all the stuff I was able to carry, I now understand the dilemma faced by other riders. I would like to apologize for secretly wondering about everyone else who’s questioned the tires. I am among you now (although I’ll still probably get another set as they’re such a bargain.)
    (Before I go on, let me just say that I was amazed when the bike loaded with panniers seemed to handle better off road on knarly stuff than they did on the pavement in tight corners, testament to how much better weight does down low than up high on the luggage rack… uh oh, have I given away a secret about day 2?)
    Back to the ride.
    Some of the slower sections of 21, post Lowman:
    [​IMG]
    Check out the position of Heath’s legs… His deepest darkest secret is that he wishes he rode a cruiser…
    [​IMG]
    Again, I agree that the view from the lookout was great, but, no, Heath, I still don’t want a hug…
    [​IMG]

Ok, that's my sad little day one update. But, eh, it was just slab. Day two will take a lot longer to write up because it was sooooo much better. Best day of riding I've ever had? Probably. <o:p></o:p>
  19. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hey guys looks like a fun one good ole Heath the S&M miester he is back for more punishment, but hay the scenery is YES and those too many to count hair pin switchbacks OH YEA.

Kyle why is it we never ride together.
  20. ditchbanker

Oddometer:
    Sam, I don't know why we haven't ridden together since your poker run. I am, however, a little disapointed in that a little birdie told me that you recently turned down a Twin Peaks ride when you were in the area because "Once you've seen one lookout you've seen them all." Tell me it's not true!
    If it is, my goal is to have day two make you regret it.:lol3

Day two will probably end up being in pieces. 4 destinations over 9,000 feet, I think I can break it up a little...