1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese Nav that hits all the bullet points

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mosey.levy, Jan 30, 2020.

1. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you order one,all I found was a request form
  2. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It wasn't easy. I setup an Alibaba account and did the request for quote. I got the notification that it had been answered but couldn't find anywhere on the answer to order. When I went back to the item page though there was a button that said "order now" where the "request quote" was before. Clicked it wnterd payment info and supposedly it will be here next month
  3. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don’t make it easy do they !!.
  4. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I’ve sent several messages to Alibaba with no reply and I have a couple pairs of gloves that work with touch screens I bought this one.
    IMG_9868.png
  5. engineman

Oddometer:
    The new nav showed up yesterday. Quicker than I thought. I'll try to do a review on it
    feralchimp, gpsdualsport and BigFatAl like this.
  6. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one I ordered on eBay was “ unavailable “ so I decided to go a different route.
  7. engineman

Oddometer:
    Got the nav unboxed and put together. Pretty comprehensive kit

20200607_224257.jpg

Includes the mounting cradle and RAM type ball mounting system. Has a suction cup mount and handlebar mount. Has both cigarette lighter and hardwired power cable. I'll probably attach an SAE connector to the hard-wired charger because I have those on all my bikes.

Looks and feels like a quality product. Doesn't feel " Cheap"

Docking cradle seems pretty secure as well

20200607_224525.jpg

Unit arrived fully charged and powered on without issues. I'll post more about the interface if people are interested
    BigFatAl, gpsdualsport and ontrip like this.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    @engineman which GPS did you end up buying and what was the price? Is this Android or WinCE based?
  9. andershz

andershz Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to a review.
    How is the visibility in sunlight?
    How does the touch screen work with gloves?
    Does the screen scratch easily? (I guess it might take a while for you find out, I'm not suggesting that you deliberately try to scratch it)
    Any experiences connecting to a Bluetooth headset.?
  10. engineman

Oddometer:
    Karadar MT-5002

Android. Listed price was $85. Total with shipping $122.
  11. wvJwaii

wvJwaii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested in your impressions with the MT-5002. Is the screen resistive or capacitive?
    Thanks in advance.
  12. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It needs more memory (not storage) and CPU power to run Locus and/or OsmAnd and a much newer version of Android, but I certainly like the concept (rugged, purpose built).
  13. engineman

Oddometer:
    I don't have a ton of time using this yet but so far it seems to be running Locus Pro just fine.

Some of my impressions so far in random order:

Screen is good. Easy to see even in bright daylight. I haven't used it at night yet, so I don't know if it will be "too" bright for nighttime riding. Also keep in mind this is in comparison to my phone which I used to use for nav. I've never used a dedicated nav device such as a Garmin or TomTom

Touch interface is not great. Even though it will work with gloves, the icons are too small to reliably hit with riding gloves. I'll probably end up tethering a stylus to the unit to hit buttons with

Operating system seems ok. Like I said above it's working with Locus ok. Only irritating thing so far is that when I start up either of the Nav apps I'm using, I have to give it permission to use location 4 or 5 times before it will use the app. Hopefully I will be able to find the setting to fix this

There's a built in navigation app (Igo). TBH I haven't used it for navigation but it also has a scrolling map display with speed etc that I've used when not navigating

Bluetooth works fine, I have my phone and this unit connected to my SENA headset without issues

Mount is good. Probably the thing I like best about this vs using a phone. Currently using a RAM ball mount but if the device still seems to be good before my next big trip I'll probably try to fab us some kind of nav tower to put it on. The charging cable is pretty solid, huge improvement over mini usb connections. The unit includes a hard wire cable which I'll be installing on a keyed power relay soon.

TLDR: So far so good
    Yinzer Moto and wvJwaii like this.
  14. engineman

Oddometer:
    One thing to add about the built in IGo navigation app. Now that I've blue toothed headphones to this unit I've noticed its constantly giving me voice alerts that I'm exceeding the speed limit. Pretty annoying. I'm sure it's also automatically deducting points from my social credit score in Beijing
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had IGo on a WinCE GPS. The speed warning from that English bitch was extremely annoying. "You are OVER the speed limit!" with a snooty sniff of disapproval. Fortunately, I could disable that particular warning.
  16. engineman

Oddometer:
    So i did the first longer ride using this device. Had to travel from southern Iowa to Wisconsin for work. I used Kurgivr.de to produce a backroads route and exported the gpx file to my google drive. From there, imported the file into LocusPro on the GPS. Used Locus for track guidance along the route.

System worked good. Had the GPS bluetoothed to my Sena unit so that I could hear the voice prompts for turns. Screen was good in all light conditions. Easier to see when not in bright sunlight but good enough even with the sun shining.

Only issue I had was with the charging. I had the charge cable hardwired to the bike but could not get the unit to charge. Even so, the battery lasted 6+ hours of GPS use. I've since fiddled with the charging pins on the cradle and made sure it was in there just right. It now seems to be charging but I'll need to keep an eye on it.
    mrsdnf, wvJwaii and EmmEff like this.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Kurviger app yet?
  18. engineman

Oddometer:
    Not yet
  19. engineman

Oddometer:
    Going to have to give this one a "Fail"

Cannot get it to charge through the docking port. It's getting power because it still starts the device when I start the bike but will not charge the battery.
  20. engineman

Oddometer:
    And, leaving it plugged in on the bike overnight while OFF was enough to kill the bike battery. Something definitely funky with the power management on this thing.