Chinese starter

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by 685, Feb 27, 2014.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the difference in current draw between the two starters?
  2. AndrewSJC

AndrewSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the sales pitch on EME's website, Valeo starters draw 270 amps, and Bosch starters draw 20% more.
    https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Starter-BMW-R-Airhead-9-Tooth-BMW-VAL1-p/bmw-val1.htm

The quality control printout that came with my Valeo clone says it draws 240 amps at 6 nm and it draws 297 amps at maximum power.

I just noticed that the relay EME sells is a 30 amp relay. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Relay-BMW-61-31-1-243-207-p/rel-207.htm
  3. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The 30 Amp relay drives the starter motors solenoid, the solenoid drives the starter motor. So the solenoid takes the 200+ amps of the starter motor not the relay.
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So does the Valeo draw more current than the Bosch? Just trying to understand the need to change the relay.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The Valeo solenoid draws more current than the Bosch solenoid. Thus the relay needs to handle more current for a Valeo system.

The overall draw by the Valeo starter system is less than the Bosh system.

The 'system' comprises, in electrical order (sequential power and time activation wise);
    the relay
    the solenoid
    the starter motor

Physically the starter motor and solenoid are combined into one housing.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  6. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the Valeo solenoid which takes more amps, the actual motor might take less.
    I did refer to a factory notice which states that if the Valeo is used with the Bosch relay there is the danger that the contacts will weld together and the starter will be on until you disconnect the battery.
    The later bikes which had a Valeo as a standard fitment had a different relay to the Bosch, presumably higher rated and they would seem to be a safe bet, assuming that pin locations are the same as your bike. But if not they are easily swapped.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  7. AndrewSJC

Oddometer:
    I found an answer to my question in the Snobum compendium. Snobum's article #15 says:

"BMW has an SI on retrofitting the Valeo starter to certain bikes that came with Bosch starters (1985-1988 bikes). BMW thinks that the old starter relay contacts are not up to the larger current draw of the Valeo solenoid coil. Better contacts and a stiffer spring also helps the contacts to break cleanly. It is my belief that the original relay will usually be OK, but if you want to install one with larger current capacity, and less chance of the contacts welding and the starter running constantly, see this document, which I have here in pdf format for you: https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Retrofitting Valeo Starter-2383.pdf"

The SI says you need to upgrade the relay when you are retrofitting a Valeo to an '85 - '88 airhead. So it looks like it would be OK to use my stock ('76 R90) starter relay with my new Valeo-type starter.
  8. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily - read the BMW notice again and check the number of the existing relay, but the new, correct relay is cheap enough and the existing is over 40 years old!
  9. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Barely related.
    Didn't notice 'welded' relay contacts and rode 'bout 150miles at sixty-five or so; starter spinning along with the engine. Starter survived and continued unfazed. '84 GPz750
  10. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    First motorcycle "hybrid"? :lol3
  11. Arktasian

Arktasian Lets call it Naturalized

Oddometer:
    All well and good Jim, but how far before he had to "Recharge"? :scratch
  12. AndrewSJC

Oddometer:
    The SI says if you have a starter relay with a diode (it specifically mentions '88 and '89 model year bikes, and relay part number 61311244019), and you want to retrofit a Valeo starter, you should replace your relay with part number 61361391397. It also says: "Only starter relays with diodes are affected. No relay change is required to retrofit the [Valeo] starter to 1977 - 84 R80/100, T, S, RS, or RT models (relays without diode)." I assumed that the relay on my '76 R90/6 would be OK, because it does not have a diode. But I could be very wrong about that: the SI, and Snowbum's comments on it, do not specifically say whether my '76 R90/6 relay will do the job. They don't mention pre-'77 models at all.

So, I still don't know if my relay will handle the Valeo starter. The relay recommended in the SI costs about $100, so I'd like to know if I really need it. I'm hoping one of you has fitted a Valeo starter to a R90/6, and lived to tell about it.

For reference: my stock R90/6 relay is part number 61311357104: https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/rel-104.htmhttps://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/rel-104.htm. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The relay recommended in the SI is part # 61361391397, which looks like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-diode-relay-61361391397
    [​IMG]

^^^ It is an "8 diode relay" according to this seller: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/8-diode-relay/61361391397, which may be why it costs $100!
  13. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motobins in England has the --397 relay at a sensible price - EME once had them at a similar price but they no longer seem to have them.
    I fitted mine years ago and they were $12- then, didnt realize they were now $100-!
    AndrewSJC likes this.
  14. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    EME lists a ------105 relay for $18.50, Motorworks in England list the same one as being suitable for Valeo equipped bikes - go figure!
    AndrewSJC likes this.
  15. mrclubike

mrclubike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These 2 relays are not interchangeable
    The SI clearly states that bikes with the DIODE type relay are the only ones effected and yours it not one of them
    Your original relay should work just fine if it is in good working order
    It would not be a bad idea to replace it with the relay that your bike calls for
    "R90/6 relay is part number 61311357104"
    If it has never been replaced and you are worried about the contacts welding
    During High amp low battery voltage conditions it is common for relay contacts to weld
    Here is what is on EME site about the K bike relays
    upload_2019-6-23_22-38-41.png

I have seen this many times
  16. AndrewSJC

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mrclubike! Seems like you always save my sorry ass whenever I get in over my head with electrical stuff. Speaking of replacing my 44 year old relay, I can get one of these for only a few bucks:

upload_2019-6-23_17-41-31.png

It's a NAPA Echlin AR152. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHAR152

Is there any reason I can't use it? Here is the schematic for it:

[​IMG]

And here is an article from a guy who used one on his stock R90 (presumably with Bosch starter, not a Valeo): http://www.ibmwr.org/original/r-tech/airheads/relay.shtml
  17. mrclubike

Oddometer:
    I am sure it can be used but depending on exactly what relay you have you may loose the anti restart feature
    What numbers are on the original relay
    SR9572 or SR9570
  18. AndrewSJC

Oddometer:
    The numbers on my relay are SR9572.
  19. mrclubike

Oddometer:
    I think the SR9570 was used on the /5's and it had the anti restart feature /6 and on didn't so the relay was just a plain relay with junction terminals

I think you will be Okay to use it as long as it gets connected correctly

But i don't think the AR152 is going to be very common like it was in 1995 when the article was written
    It was used on late 80's Mopar vehicles
    upload_2019-6-23_22-24-4.png
  20. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Are you me? Because this sounds exactly like my experiences and response.
    Jim Day likes this.