Chipped my IC and sprained my Glutes/Ham/Quad/Groin...and more.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by airjammer, May 26, 2019.

1. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Why this happened.

I was riding fatigued, which led to fixation, and an abrupt maneuver.

Mile marker 10 / hwy128.

2 wks ago I was finishing up an 4 day / epic spring ride from Western Slope to Escalante, Ut. On this day, I had left Escalante, Ut and proceeded to Burr trl, rode Wolverine Loop and Silver falls spur, back out to Nottom road/WPF and BLM 0086 cut across, W. Factory road to 1013 and across to Goblin Valley and off to Moab on slab.

I had planned on camping in Moab and doing the 3hr ride home in the morning, should have done it.

Being more of an off-road and trail rider / I usually ride this bike more aggressively off road that on. And although I've owned and rode a lot of road bikes, I just don't like asphalt. SOOOOO....I pounded a red bull (i did not need wings at this point, should have stuck to the original plan) stopped by matrimony spring, topped off my camel back and headed to Gateway/ Castle Valley rd.

I made a wonky maneuver on a turn and fixated for an instant, came out of it and had to ditch it on the land side of 128, I cowboy-ed over a bunch of 2-3 boulder and sand and brush. Came down at a slow angle and got raked into a 2'-rock on my right side. The suspension on my bike saved my ass. I am convinced. A couple from Ft.Collins was behind me and thought I handled it well and was going to pull out of it.

I got up and it hurt to do so. We picked up the bike/ nothing but a bent rim. They took me back to Moab for an x ray. Small fracture of Iliac Crest/ Sprained muscles. I was going to be sore for a few weeks. I called Jim at Dual Sport Utah/ he sent someone out to bring my bike in "love this guy" //Thanks and gratitude. Spent the night at Inca Inn. ( manager came and picked me up at hospital and took me to subway) Thanks mucho. Bike and my self got a ride home to paonia the next day.

OK here is the onion....

They found trace blood in my urine, so, a blood test came next. Blood test came back, it showed alarmingly low Plattlets,White Bld cells etc....nothing to do with event.

Doc said "you need to talk to an oncologist.

6 days later / I'm in Denver at the Cancer institute getting chemo/and on the road to a bone marrow transplant. I'll be fine.

I'm healed up from the "off" about 80 %//
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Iliac crest injuries are no joke.

I tore both hip flexors as a teen and they STILL occasionally bug me.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow......We wish you a speedy recovery!!!
  4. ennui

ennui audio and oil

Oddometer:
    Good thing you didn't!

All the best.
    CCitis likes this.
  5. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    well, it was a lucky crash, better to get cancer found sooner than later
    Gil Favor, Motor7 and CCitis like this.
  6. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Crazy turn of events/ but thanks for the wishes...They diagnosed it as MDS/MPN overlap. I feel fine, although a bit more fatigue...
  7. Ultimate Lurker

Ultimate Lurker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and God bless.