CHP's New Wheels

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by fish, Jun 13, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    CHP's NEW WHEELS
    By Matt Nauman
    Mercury News

What's black and white, has big, flashing lights and can ruin your day?

The answer used to be California Highway Patrol cruisers, but Wednesday the CHP added 73 all-white Chevrolet Camaros to its 4,000-vehicle fleet.

The cars -- with 310-horsepower V-8 engines and a top speed of 159 mph -- will better blend in with traffic, and they're equipped with hard-to-see, 2-inch-high light bars that look like ski racks from a distance.

The CHP's Ford Crown Victorias -- still the bulk of the fleet -- carry 6-inch-high bubble lights.

CHP Commissioner D.O. ``Spike'' Helmick knows drivers check for CHP cars in their rear-view mirrors. ``This will make it a little more difficult,'' he said.

Being able to see a CHP car isn't good enough anyhow, said one trucker at a Sacramento truck stop.

``Once they see you, it's too late,'' said Brice Dommes of Sutter Creek
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    reminds me...

up here we have that bean counter quota ticket freak from new orleans running the show.

AND

WSP has at least one white Volvo S70 sedan with the lights tucked up on the visor for flip down action.

Go figure...motorcycles 2 mortal enemies teaming uo.

and I hear they have a chev silverado as well

However, almost if not all WSP cars and trucks have 'WSP' as the first 3 on the license plate.

I-5 near boeing field (near renton) has had a copter in the sky lately that just cruises up and down the freeway.

At warp speed most of this isn't gonna help. So watch your 6 and mind the radar detector.
  3. canuck

canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Up here in Vancouver the VPD has a bunch of oddball cars. A Subaru WRX (think I would like to try that one!!) pickups, minivans.

Out on the highways I have seen the Camaro type as well.

Buggers.

canuck
  4. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I think over the years, I have paid for at least one of those friggin Camero's in fines.