Christmas Valley, Oregon – A Dual Sport Day Trippers Dream

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Austringer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fort Rock and Fort Rock cave about 25 miles to the NW is a historic archaeological site where a number of 9,000-13,000 year old sandals were found. Lots of information on line.
  2. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is also the old Air Force Over the Horion Radar Station just east of town.
  3. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flailmaster, yes I'm guessing they are already more crowded. I Airbnb my cabin and 3 of my guests this year have been off road folks. However, its so desolate out there, I can't ever imagine crowds being an issue. But that's what makes it such a cool spot. Additionally, since it's so open, visibility is awesome which highly improves trail safety. The dunes are a different matter. I hear it gets pretty bust there on holiday weekends...but I've never been there when there have been more than a couple rigs.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Nice. I've ridden the highway through there a few times when traveling between Montana and Medford, OR and figured there was near unlimited ADV potential. A couple times, I let the GPS chose the shortest route and got off the pavement for a few dozen miles, and liked that a lot.
  5. Flailmaster

Flailmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do remember being at the dunes midweek in the fall and only seeing two other vehicles there - and they didn't really venture that far from the staging area. Your pics definitely show how big those vistas are. I'd like to make another trip down there this year. But I've been saying that for the last two years. What's your cutoff for the season usually? I imagine it gets mighty cold. Also, are you able to get to any trails direct from the cabin? Could you bring a trail bike (non plated XR) and be able to ride without having to trailer it around?
  6. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for responding so late! I've been working all summer. The season is pretty open for riding. Nov-Feb are generally too cold although I've seen 40 degree lows and 60 highs in Dec before. Me and a buddy are leaving for CV this week for a 5 day, 4 night ride. It will be cold with light chance of precip. We plan on hitting the hot springs.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope the weather cooperates better for you than it did for us, had an 8-day ride planned and made it 2.75 days - pretty much a cluster because of the rain and weather (had to leave bikes, hike out, etc). We started south of CV in Summer Lake, don't think the mud is as bad in CV as it is further east, but that gumbo mud is a serious PIA.

Have a great ride, hope you post some pics!
  8. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When were you there? Were hoping to avoid gumbo...and rain/snow if possible. Where did you abandon bikes? I've never had a problem on my bike but my truck is a huge mess sometimes. Wondering if its only certain roads?
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @Austringer, we started our ride 9/16 from Summer Lake and headed south into CA and then east into NV. We had to abandon the bikes on the other side of Knott Creek Resevoir, hiked ~5 miles in gear to Alder Creek ranch to get rescued by a couple friends who had to bail earlier because of a badly broken toe from day 2 (ride was a bit of a clusterf*ck). It was raining when we left Summer Lake, but cleared up after we left. Was raining/overcast when we got back 9/22 - not sure what it's been like since then.

The gumbo mud is effin' crazy out there, we didn't have any issues until coming down the other side of Knott Creek. It was wet and raining, but the soil was ok - totally changed when we hit the other side. I haven't ridden CV before, but if it's the same soil that you get when you go further east, I'd stay off any 2-track and keep to the gravel/county roads. That $hit is no joke, have been in it a couple times over the last 3 years going out there and I'm never going back if there's rain in the forecast - at least not to the places I like to go when out that way.

If the forecast is decent and stays that way up until you leave, then I'd go. Weather can change quickly and the forecast maroons are usually wrong; hopefully, you'll have a good stretch and it won't be a problem. I'm bummed as I love riding there and love the area, been screwed 2x by rain now.

Keep us posted!
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot of my buddy's tire after we let that crap dry for a couple days and could rescue our bikes. Check out his chain too, was so clogged that it wouldn't go around the sprockets.

IMG_3449[1].JPG
    Humunn likes this.
  11. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :(
  12. Flailmaster

Flailmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, thanks for the reply! no sweat I know summers are busy with fun and projects. And Im sure most on here would rather ride than talk about riding while the weather is nice :) Looks like we may have to wait until next spring for a trip down, so maybe we will get in touch next year about some ride recommendations in the area if you don't mind. Thanks for the info!
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Love CV. I call it the Mecca of DS riding. All roads lead to and from it. Perfect location for a burger run from Prineville even in the winter.

[​IMG]
    Flailmaster and liv2day like this.