Chunder, Chumstick and Chuckleheads...riding WABDR north to south

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by powderzone, Jun 3, 2019.

1. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode to Tillamook then up 101 to Aberdeen. Place is a bit ragged and we were getting poured on so hammered it to Olympia for the night. Great meeting you!
    And ya the wind was crazy all day.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  2. powderzone

Oddometer:
    5 June 2019
    The Pacific North Wet lives up to its name
    350km Yakima Valley - Packwood - Hood

After the previous day’s gong show, neither one of us was interested in exploring the Alt section (in our minds we’d ridden up and down Bethel) so we jumped on WA410/123 to get over the range. The west slope seems to be a cloud forest - we were in perpetual mist for the the entirety of this final section of the BDR.

At the intersection outside of Packwood, I apparently ignored the massive sign and turned left towards White Pass. Arrived at the ski area completely confused that Wales wasn’t there. While I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out where the hell I was, Wales was riding back and forth outside Packwood scanning the tall grass and ravines, looking for signs of wreckage. I backtracked, Wales found me. After being read the riot act, we pushed on back to the final section of the BDR.

4D0DF16D-4978-42C0-9DAC-797BB1A54240.jpeg
    Snow bad

4D028A00-9B7A-4A43-91CB-20EBB299841D.jpeg

Between Packwood and Horseshoe Lake we hit snow and thought it might be a show stopper but a Jeep has kindly left wheel tracks which we not so gently used to cross. Finally we’d both had enough of the relentless rain and headed down to Carson, WA and on to Hood River.

3876DDE7-3AFF-4736-BBE1-74DB49036D49.jpeg

Beer good!

EE0612B4-9215-4B88-8C04-37D75EF5E666.jpeg
    Oldschoolrocker, Pete S and mbanzi like this.
  3. powderzone

Oddometer:
    6 June
    Waterfalls, Canons and Rain
    565km Hood River - Tillamook - Canon B - Aberdeen - Olympia

Grabbed coffee w fellow inmate @thirsty 1 at the hotel (the dining room was literally like grandmas) before he headed north on the BDR. Fuelled by quiche and kale salad - I’m not kidding. That was the hotel’s idea all inclusive breakfast. Meh

F00933F6-0FAE-42A5-A908-F61AE1AC6EEF.jpeg

Headed through the waterfall area. Always wanted to see Multnomah Falls but I don’t do crowds and the place was busy like Disney so we stopped at a lesser falls to chillax.

Rained off and on for the ride to Tillamook. Canon Beach is a beauty - I’d love to spend some time w the family here.

Set our sight on the Olympic Peninsula but rain in the forecast changed that plan and neither one of us liked Aberdeen much so we jetted to Olympia for the night.

5BB57A95-99D5-498F-9D14-958F09D46996.jpeg

A204755A-00CB-40CB-A4AF-C3955F26D8FF.jpeg
    Zzzzzzz
  4. powderzone

Oddometer:
    And the requisite waterfall shot.

B8F0400E-5B12-4BFA-ABC9-16973A119EDC.jpeg
  5. powderzone

Oddometer:
    7 June 2019
    Moving Day
    660km Olympia - Snoqualmie - Sandpoint, ID
    Wanted to ride up hwy 101 north of Olympia but the weather turned worse so we made tracks east through Snoqualmie Pass on i90 to get ahead of the rain and sleet. Any pass with “Sno” in the name demands respect- and it didn’t disappoint. The “icy conditions” warning appeared on my dash as we were pelted with sleet for 100km. F@ck it was cold!

Thankfully it warmed up and the rain relented as we dropped down towards Ellensberg and actually enjoyed sun all the way to Spokane. I despise the interstate but looking at the ominous clouds just north of us made me happy that I listened to google instead of riding hwy 2 through Leavenworth as we’d considered.

Arrived in Sandpoint tired yet relieved by no longer dodging left lane hogging Subaru’s. Come on granola-crowd...the pedal on the right makes the car move faster.

Apparently snow in the forecast for tonight to the north so there’s that to look forward to. Yay me.

Google is a bit of a twit. Look at the route suggestions it gives to get to Sandpoint. Is there anyone on the planet who would route via Portland for “fastest” route? What the actual...?

Since I couldn’t be bothered with photos today, let’s check out how awful the new Mitas E07+ is wearing. The rear has 4,000 km and looks to have another 1500 in it. For reference the Dakar version had 10k before I switched it out. Garbage.

BD3C9B5F-0D05-4553-A987-54BB1F54F3B0.jpeg

That’s all I have say about today.

Beer in Sandpoint good.

89C5EDEE-D12E-4379-890C-1527CCC08309.jpeg

5F6F12CD-6EBB-47D8-9B97-7D27486F5A47.jpeg

1918E046-F812-47FB-BA5C-573EDC0857DE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Oldschoolrocker, Pete S and mbanzi like this.
  6. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you silly Canuks got east! Cheers fellas! I’ll be coming through Calgary at the end of the month! Maybe a beer at a pub!?
    Dragonman and powderzone like this.
  7. powderzone

Oddometer:
    @thirsty 1 let me know when you’re coming through town and I can do better than just a pint. Place to sleep and do some laundry. Plus pints. Have a great ride up to D2D!
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  8. oregonsurveyor

oregonsurveyor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the term "chunder" as puke or to puke. Please explain your use of "chunder" when referring to the road surface. Also, please excuse my ignorance.
    powderzone likes this.
  9. uncle milkbone

uncle milkbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @oregonsurveyor:
    "Chunder" is a descriptor for rocky and/or rooty technical sections on mtn bike trails. Not related to puking! Same for roads!
    powderzone and oregonsurveyor like this.
  10. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have the same tire and am getting about the same experience. About 4000km and it's looking ~75% done. 1500km more is what I think it's got left, which does not leave much for a trip without a tire stop planned into it. Will likely swap it out before it's totally done. Had the Michelin Anakee Wild on before this and was able to get 10,000km for it. Will go back to that tire again, but before I do, I would like to try the Motox Tractionator Adventure. Will see if it lasts to 10,000km.
    powderzone likes this.
  11. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Yup...Chunder = rocky surface, usually the result of quads/bikes/keeps stripping away the soil, or rain washing it away.
    uncle milkbone likes this.
  12. powderzone

Oddometer:
    8 & 9 June 2019
    Home Sweet Home
    590km Sandpoint - Fernie - Calgary

Not much to report from yesterday other than we didn’t get snowed on which is groovy. Made it to Fernie where I hooked up with the famjam while Wales decided to slab in back to Cowtown. Great riding, dude!

Spent some time with the family, walking the dog, hiking. All in my favourite place - Fernie.

A7E24FDC-64D7-4EB3-AB8B-F58558FE512D.jpeg

Then loaded up the bike for the final ride back home. I couldn’t end such a great trip getting pounded by cross wind on hwy 22 so I rode a little dual track between Fernie and Sparwood. Then I jumped on the West/East Sharples Rd in the porcupine hills. It’s a pretty ride with an amazing backdrop.

5BFF137C-893F-4FAE-AD3B-D98DDD6DFA1C.jpeg

D8942F08-A315-4F3D-AEE1-3642D59B25D9.jpeg

48DE8A74-381E-4105-A4C2-34BF9ADBC449.jpeg

Unpacked and making a list of things I need to fix / replace.

So far I’ll need to attend to the following items;
    - Pipe wrap (need to reduce the heat on my right foot below “surface of the sun”)
    - Bar riser fwd (my riser is only 3/4” but it puts me back on the pegs which is awkward on long technical climbs)
    - Replace Tires. 4,500 km and they’re almost cooked. Disappointed to say the least.
    - Call Cyclops (low bulb still acts squirrelly for first 5 min after starting)
    - My antigravity charger died. I’ll replace with a smaller charger for my electronics.
    - tighten windscreen mounting plates. Came loose a couple of days ago.
  13. alutii

alutii n00b

Oddometer:
    I ran the e07+ on the dempster last year with a tkc80 on the front, I really liked the combo and with some rough conditions still had a good ride into Tuk. Probably got a little further or similar mileage though, but was so squared off on the way home the last 200 km on the sea 2 sky was the most dangerous of the ride! I'll try the dakar version on the next trip. Thanks again for all your posts and pics, leaving tomorrow morning from Vancouver to do the same ride.
  14. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the ride. I had a great time - except for the mud on Bethel Ridge. That was somewhat stressful. Cheers!
  15. Dragonman

Dragonman The map is not the territory! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride @powderzone and nice to meet you @thirsty 1
    A great ride but so nice to be home on Alberta Terra firma!
    thirsty 1 and powderzone like this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report!! Thanks for posting it in the WABDR thread. Glad you met @thirsty 1 too! He’s awesome!! Cheers!!
    thirsty 1 and powderzone like this.
  17. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It was great meeting Matt and riding the WABDR was a blast!
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! Looks like the fun - o - meter was maxxed out! Glad to see someone call it like it is and suck down suds the way we like to!
    powderzone likes this.
  19. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bumped. Beautiful country out your way. Great seeing it again, brings back some great memories. Enjoyed the read. Well done. Merlin
    powderzone likes this.
  20. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Thanks Merlin. Much appreciated!
    One of these days I’m gonna head back east with a bike and ride your neck of the woods.