Churchill MB by 'Road'?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Wanderlust, Dec 6, 2004.

1. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    There are no small towns from Gillam to Churchill..........NONE.

2. coda22

coda22 Homemade GS

Oddometer:
    All of your points are quite valid.
    I have check into the few posibilities of riding the tracks...
    the good news is, the train runs once a week!! thats it. the rest of the time if fair game, If you check out google maps you can see that the hydro lines run approx. 25ft or so from the tracks almost the whole way. The bad news is the amount of bridge crossings:( I lost count around 37 or so. some really small, some really big!! and the RCMP would have our asses if they caught us, ( i bet )
    Any way Im lookin into to some more, this summer Im gonna head to gillam and see for myself the posibilities, it's two days ride from my home in winnipeg.
  3. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    To Gilam is a great ride....300 plus KMs of gravel road.... from there north, well, lets say if you are not on the tracks then you are in bog... I have been to Churchill on the rails twice and there are no options. Aside from a few spots where there is sand and scrub bush...... just thawing perma frost.
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Is Gilam the most northern place you can travel to in Manitoba or is there roads in the western side of the province that go north?
  5. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    There are roads north of Thompson that head to Leaf Rapids and Lynn Lake araes.

ZZ_Ron lived in those parts at one time, he made be able give you a better idea what's up there.
  6. coda22

coda22 Homemade GS

Oddometer:
    I would LOVE to hit lynn lake!!
  7. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    The home of Tom Cochrane... and nothing else
  8. phammer

phammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having done some work up in northern Manitoba (transported by plane) I would expect that any gray line on a map from Gillam to Churchill would indicate the route of the WINTER ROAD - when the ground has frozen enough to plough a road to allow transport trucks to deliver goods north.

:wave
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    The ride to Gillam...tie handlebars straight...drone along barren highway forever...and ride to nothing.

I guess trees that are shorter than you could be considered a novelty.:D
  10. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    really stupid idea, but just might be so far fetched it would work. Find one of the small lightweight service cars (legally), figure a way of rigging it to the bikes propulsion and then literally ride the rails up and back?

I said far fetched didn't I?
  11. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Done.....25 years ago we had Chieftan mini bikes that had an outrigger for balance and we rode them on the rails to patrol the track.
  12. spacely

spacely Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that just needs a picture!
  13. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    There is a road north of Leaf Rapids, it goes up to South Indian Lake??

That may be the furthest north you can ride in Manitoba.
  14. krazygloo

krazygloo pinch me

Oddometer:
    any updated info on this run to Churchill, I've read somewhere that they are planning on making a road up there, spending 1.2 billion..... any pics from anyone who has gone as far as Gillam?
  15. low-1

low-1 n00b

Oddometer:
    First up, I realize this is an old thread. Happened to find it while killing time on the internet and decided I'd sign up and offer some info.

I live in Gillam, last stop on the road before Churchill. To ride there in the summertime would be, uhh, interesting. The only possible way, as others have said, is to ride on the tracks, and it really depends on who you meet on the tracks as to how much they will appreciate you being there. We sometimes take the quads up to the bridge at the Weir River, and have sometimes ran into extremely angry work crews.

The little "towns" along the way are just sidings, no one lives in any of them, and I think only 1 actually has any buildings. For the most part they are just side tracks and a sign. Train is slow and bumpy, and it's one of the few places that I know of where you will see the train stop at a flag in the ground for some hunter or trapper.

In the winter time, there is *some* traffic between Churchill and Gillam via snowmobiles, most ride the power line but there is also a trail that runs along the track. There are no winter roads, flextrack/bombardier or snowmobile is all that is making the trip. And the occasional dogsled. This year, the Hudson Bay Quest (www.hudsonbayquest.com) is being run from Gillam to Churchill, it is an annual dog sled race that has traditionally been run between Churchill and Arviat, NU. For the past few years, severe blizzards have caught mushers offguard, so the decision was made to run part of it through the trees for safety.

There are winter roads that go further north, but they are on the other side of the province, from the all weather road at Lynn Lake to Brochet/Lac Brochet/Tadoule. Gillam and Lynn Lake are very close to the same latitude, with Lynn being slightly more North. I've heard of people (only one group to my knowledge) who ran quads from Lynn to Brochet just after spring thaw. The land up here, you are not going anywhere off trail with 2 wheels. All swamp, muskeg and bog.

Gillam, being at the end of a 300 km barely all-weather road, is fairly safe as fas as leaving vehicles unattended. There is no "through-traffic" to speak of and it's a small town of about 800 people.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer.
  16. moparmiller

moparmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cough... Cough...
    [​IMG]
  17. low-1

low-1 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, sure looks like the tracks. A few years ago though, eh? At least 2? There was a big crew down the track replacing most of the ties, so they swept off most of the gravel and made it A LOT worse to ride on.
  18. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    That look's like the piece of track near Charliebois.... I have photos of the area, not digital though.
  19. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that typical of the tracks all the way up or just a good section where it looks like you may be able to ride off of the centre between the tracks? I would prefer to ride out of the tracks if at all possible.......for obvious reasons. If it were possible to ride along side of the tracks all the way then I would consider the trip for sure. I've flown in to Churchill many many moons ago as a staging area for further flights out up to Baker Lake, Rankin Inlet, and Eskimo Point.....I have always wondered what it would be like to go up there during the summer months.:ear:freaky
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a digital camera? If so, put it in macro mode which makes it easier than using a scanner to digitize prints. A north facing wndow for light and with a steady hand you might not even need a tripod.