Cide1’s Ural + Hack Thread (was Ural 650 Reliability)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by cide1, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    The IBMWR Tech pages are a good resource for early K's. http://www.ibmwr.org/
    I may have an old Haynes or Clymer manual around, I'll look.
    Do a spline lube on the trans, input shaft & both end of the driveshaft. Pay attention to the rear drive splines, if not lubed regularly they wore quickly.
    Alexander B and cide1 like this.
  2. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Cool project! I'm anxious to see the K bike hacked.
  3. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally made a decision (I know you all were waiting on pins and needles for me to announce this):

- I'm keeping the '95 Ural Solo as a Solo and going to just enjoy it for what it is with a mild restoration.

- I'm de-cafeing the already molested and abused K100RS with K100 and K75 front end parts from eBay that will look mostly correct. I'm half way through doing the whole backlog of maintenance. I want a bike that friends and family can ride without me worrying about it too much, this will be perfect for that.

- The sidecar is going on the Triumph Thruxton / T100. The looks and lines of the sidecar match the Triumph well. After my R1200R, the Triumph is the next most comfortable bike, and the next most reliable one, so I will feel comfortable doing longer trips, camping, taking my kids when they are old enough, etc. I just got off the phone with Jay at DMC Sidecars putting in an order for the bike side mounts, and the pieces to convert the sidecar to his mounting system. I talked with Jay about adding a sidecar brake with a better matching wheel, and triple trees down the road, once I have some experience and make sure that sidecars are for me.
  4. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a new tire installed on sidecar, Douglas 175/70r13 car tire was $59 at Walmart installed with new valve stem and lifetime balance.

Found yet another vacuum leak on the K100, I’m amazed it ran, this is the 4th one I’ve found. Also pulled handlebars for re-spray, figured out new throttle cable, cleaned gunk out of front master cylinder, and replaced an air filter that looked horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Alexander B and Bobmws like this.
  5. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DMC mounts arrived. A bit of confusion on what I needed, but Jay got it straightened out quickly. The quality of the mounting pieces is far better than my fabrication skills would have allowed. It’s clear a lot of time went into development.

I got the bike side done today. Starting on the sidecar side tomorrow.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Bobmws likes this.
  6. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I can't wait to see it when you get it out on the road!
  7. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    I take it that they are loose build photos?

Otherwise, you'd be advised to put a locknut on that top mount....if only to spread the sideloads on the stud shaft.
    Also, the lower mount bolt threads don't look to be fully through the nylon inset in the Nyloc nuts.
  8. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool -
    I've been thinking of a similar transition for my ural for years - I'd be interested to see the mods you need to do to the sidecar to mount it on Jay's system.

Good luck!
  9. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lower mount was loose for the photo, I've since tightened. In terms of the top mount, I'll see what I can come up with. It's quite beefy, and the strut keeps it from turning.
  10. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Ural car at least roughly mounted to my Triumph. Not wired or aligned yet.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    jwaller and Bobmws like this.
  11. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took it around the neighborhood, clearly needs an alignment. Shaking bad when I let off the throttle. I bought two long pieces of angle iron today to get some measurements for alignment.

[​IMG]
  12. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    The sidecar wheel looks neat but a wire spoked one would suit the bike more.

That spare you've got won't fit anything on the bike. :D
  13. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I'd love to check it out when you have time. Mine is dramatically impacted by:

Tire air pressure
    Weight in the car / passenger
    Brake drag
    Air drag (windshield versus no windshield)
  14. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d love to meet up. Give me a few weeks here to get the kinks ironed out, and I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  15. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought two long pieces of angle iron to get some alignment numbers. It was toed out a good 2 inches along an 8 ft span. I set it up this afternoon for the bike and car to both be pretty much vertical, and toed in about 3/4” along an 8 ft span. Around the neighborhood it was way better, no more steering flutter, much more predictable. I took it out onto a “real” road and did 40 MPH, and feeling pretty comfortable doing it. I put about 80 lbs of tools in the sidecar to give it some weight. At this point, I think I just need more time to get comfortable with it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  16. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are on the right track, and slow speed practise builds confidence and gives you a feel for the rig. It takes some getting used to the way the rig kind of moves around under you as you go down the highway as the crown of the road, wind etc all have a much bigger impact than on the 2 wheeled bike. You want to keep a firm grip on the bars as the steering effort is totally different than on your bike alone.

Some kind of standard numbers for toe in 1/2" ( good starting point ) and lean out 3/4" ( measure down to the ground from the right handle bar end and that should be about 3/4" higher than the left side). These measurements are for a level ( side to side & front to back on the sidecar ) loaded sidecar & bike. So have somebody sit in the car and tie the rear suspension down on the bike so that when you get off it the suspension is compressed. Do all your measurements from that point. You will likely want to use the max preload on the rear shocks. If you are going to stay with the sidecar, look at putting some linear springs in the front forks and possibly stiffer rear springs. Stiffer suspension is better for sidecar use and the car puts a lot of side loads on the bike.

The car & bike look good together.