Circumnavigation of the Great Basin

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Metalcarver, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update - is coming

I've been planning a trip for three years and at the last minute my crew was decimated by surgeons and lawyers. I'll be leaving from Bend, Oregon by the end of September and would prefer it not to be solo. Allowing 3 to 4 weeks. It is a 3800 mile loop following the drainage divide of the Great Basin. It is 80% dirt and a number of the legs are over 200 miles between gas. I believe the longest is 275 miles. Longer than any BDR and the CDT. No single track but there is a route waiting to be drawn which could be the ultimate single track. It will be pretty much all primitive camping. Basically from Bend, it follows the mountains up to John Day Or and from there mountains and desert to McDermitt NV. McDermitt to Jarbidge south to near Wells. From there up to Oakley Idaho, across to Downey, Idaho and Montpelier, Idaho (where Butch Cassidy got his start). Over to Wyoming and follow the mountains east of Cokeville due south to the Uinta Mountains. It follows the crest of the Wasatch mountains south to near Zion and cuts across to Ely, Nv. Then south to Las Vegas in a really roundabout way and from there to Death Valley. Then north to Lassen area and into Oregon and north to Bend. I planned this time for leaving because the parts of the trail through Utah get up to almost 11,000 ft. They don't open until the first week in August and winter usually starts in October though you can get snow in August and September. But in August it can be 130 degrees in Death Valley.

I have the entire thing broken down into individual tracks in gpx and kmz as well as 500 individual nav points.

This is the drainage outline

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the dirt portions (blue) and I've filled in some of the gaps since I made this pic.

[​IMG]

And as a follow up I made and entirely paved route. This covers the south end of the loop. My offroad routefinding failed in Southern California. It was either going to be riding a road to where you die an agonizing pointless death in a biblical wilderness or you are cruising through endless agribiz, strip malls, gang graffiti, and patio misters, not to mention the largest cesspool in the world. So I made a beeline to Death Valley. There are some things worse than death.

[​IMG]

Update pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Modified since I made these.
    ZoomerP, thirsty 1, Square1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    thirsty 1 and LC1 like this.
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. You HAVE to report on your ride.
    Amphib likes this.
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I'll have it up on Spotwalla and I'll be going through Vegas so maybe there's odds?
    Addapost likes this.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Since it's a loop you can start anywhere. Looking like there might be a possibility of Oct 1 start. Hoping that the current moisture waves don't put snow on top. After that the fortune tellers show mid Oct to be warmer and drier.
  6. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping an eye on your report here. I'm heading to Utah to ride on Oct. 5. I am toying with the idea of riding the UTBDR South to i70 then breaking West towards Saint George (instead of Moab). I say "toying" because we are pushing it kinda late in the season. Hoping you are correct and this moisture passes without much drama and then dry conditions. We may be in the same area around the same time. Let me know when you think you'll be entering Utah.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I'll have a spotwalla page and figured out how to post pics here from my cell phone so that'll happen regularly and I use the inreach which has a tracking page. Everybody will know where I was last seen. :hide

There are three long stretches before I get to Utah that HAVE to be dry.

I cross I-70 at 38°46'48.02"N -111°29'10.58"W and head south on FS221 to the Fish Lake area then across the Kaibab plateau to Bryce and Zion. Mostly dirt. Heads west from just north of Zion to Nevada. The divide I'm following is the little pass by the coordinates above.

All contingent on weather. Maybe find a motel with patio misting by Lake Mead. Just never know when it comes to geezers.
    Ladybug, Bullseye and Addapost like this.
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Aaaand nope, didn't pull it off this year, so I'll be leaving mid-late July 2020.

A definite maybe.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    AAaaaaand nope, didn't pull it off. Who the hell knows....
    ZoomerP likes this.
  10. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bridge too far? Don't feel bad, the last year has messed up a bunch of my adventures too.

Maybe bust it up into two halves? Call it B HOG B: Best Half Of Great Basin. It will be hard to return to civilization after even half of that loop.
    wbbnm and Metalcarver like this.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun. Don't sweat the delayed start. You've put some planning time in, and it'll pay off eventually.
    Metalcarver likes this.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad. That looks like a trip of a lifetime in just a few western states, ie, without having to go from Prudoe Bay to Ushaia.

You better hurry up and do this or guys like me will steal some of your ideas and do some of it ourselves.
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Actually it's like fishing with dynamite, kind of boring until somebody hands you a lit stick. So HERE is a link where (if I did it right you can download either gpx or kml) That goes to a page that shows the hydrographic drainage of the Great Basin. Like the CDT it was already there. So myself and another inmate are finalizing our own solution to the puzzle. Basically the guy that rides closest to the line for the longest wins!

Something.

Ya gotta take pictures or it didn't happen.
    Strong Bad and ZoomerP like this.