City Nav NT 2020 dual sport routing & tracks for N. GA dualsport ride SMT500

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by onesaintsfan, Feb 21, 2019.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    fairly new to basecamp and just playing around. My group is planning a N. GA Suches Dual Sport ride for June. We will be riding around Suches and camping at heaven on earth TWoS. So I have downloaded N. GA forest service and the SMT500 tracks. With basecamp i can put them on the map. I will probably be downloading my TOPO 2008 maps to the GPS as well. ( gave up on the 60csx and have a 396LMT-S coming). But curious thing I found is that with the routing tool in Mapsource and manually building a route it will follow any and all roads on the map. I will most certainly put the downloaded tracks on the map, but should I make a route as well to follow these? Did not think routing would follow forest service roads etc.
  2. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    It does, as long as it’s shown as a road.
    I pretty much quit using topo maps.

I also get confused using basecamp, I still use mapsource exclusively.

More to your question:
    I found that when using routing tool with city maps - it will route on roads.
    If I route while I have my topo maps opened - the routing tool goes point to point across topo. In other words if I drop a point a mile away it draws a straight line to it. It ignores roads in topo.

But in city maps NA the route tool will follow the shortest route that used roads (even the tinniest forest road.

Using the track took acts exactly the same in either map.
    onesaintsfan likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of us initially create routes using either City Navigator or Topo 24k and then convert them to tracks for actual navigation.
    I only use tracks. But some people like the turn-by-turn instructions provided by routes.
    IMHO the worst approach is to navigate only with routes.

You will not be able to do autorouting with Topo 2008. And it will not properly follow a route on the GPS created by City Navigator.
    But it will work fine for tracks.

Basecamp will successfully create routes and tracks for any road or trail that shows up on the City Navigator map. As will Topo 24k.
    Basecamp routing can be set up with lots of Preference options that determine which roads it uses. The road type slider seems to have the biggest effect.
    My approach when creating routes is to put in enough via points to force the route to go where I want it to go. Sometimes this is easier in Mapsource.

Hope this helps. I am not completely sure what info you are looking for though.
    onesaintsfan likes this.
  4. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:
    Agreed:
    This is also my approach when routing.

More points the better also helps if you miss a turn to put you back correctly.
    Cause if your next point is far always it can and will reroute so you may go a long way around to get there. And possibly miss the best part of a ride cause you’re on the wrong road - lol.

It best if you convert the route to a track then you can actually have both displayed at same time so when you blow that turn you can backtrack and not miss any of the intended ride.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to just use the tracks from someone else that actually RODE the area you want to explore.

letting basecamp guesstimate a route, then feeding that guesstimated route into a gps that wants to re guesstimate that route all over again, is a mistake
    onesaintsfan likes this.
  6. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Thanks, yes thats what I am going to do, just found it interesting that you can route on forest service roads
    ohgood likes this.
  7. MotoRojo

MotoRojo Adventurer

Oddometer:

I think you hit on something here. Is it actually possible to display the track and the route simultaneously on a device? I am new to using tracks alone and while there are huge advantages over navigating with routes, one thing I miss with simply following a track is the lack of information a route will offer such as the distance or time to arrive at the destination. If both can be displayed then this may just be the ticket to my conundrum.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yes, can display hundreds of routes/tracks at the same time, on a phone, and choose which one to navigate, without removing any of them. it's not so easy or flexible on stage alone units.

it's also nice to be able to snap a quick picture of a mvum, park map, or ANY map and overlay it on your current tracks for reference...

Screenshot_2019-06-06-12-17-23.png
    MotoRojo likes this.
  9. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, let me get this straight, you are a
    fan of using a PHONE for navigational needs?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i heard they do other stuff too, but mostly i just use em for gps stuff ;-)
    Magus likes this.
  11. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:
    Yes I do it all the time with my Garmin 60csx.
    From the map display, I hit the “page” button once and it gives me distances to next turn. Then hit end button and it goes back to map screen. This way I don’t have to scroll through all the pages to get back to maps.

You will see both on display in map screen.

I get a notification when a turn is coming up from the route. But if you miss it (either by choice or not) it will re-route you. That’s why I like to also have tracks so the original track does not change like a route can.

The other concern is sometimes your given a track that may cut through a private road or Jeep trail (2 track or single track) that is not recognized as a road. So then your gps keep trying to re-route you the long way around (because that’s the only way it thinks exists).

So for that reason most of the time folks share “tracks” because they don’t change! Regardless of type or brand gps.

Don’t share them as routes that constantly update on the fly. Or may display differently because of different maps or old maps that don’t have same updated info.
    MotoRojo and ohgood like this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

real life scenarios that happen all the time !
  13. MotoRojo

MotoRojo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, EnduroRdr. This makes darn good sense. Good karma right back at'cha!
    ohgood likes this.