Classic IZH P5 in Argentina

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by KevlarIZH, Jan 19, 2012.

1. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi friends!....this is my first Post here, I live in Monte Grande Argentina and I´m the proud owner of a brand new IZH Planeta 5 1994 2T :clap

I like CCCP items not for collecting them but for daily use instead, this started many years ago when I was a child, my father bought me a russian bicycle and some MIR books.

When the time comes to buy a car I get a used Lada 2105 1992 and this is my only car until now, driving so basic and reliable machine make me fall in love with it and then I decided to get a russian motorcycle too but this is a very dificult task , I never seen one in the street here!

Using the net I realized that some brands where imported here in the 90´s mainly 125 and 200cc , some IZH 350cc and even Urals 650cc so I started to look for used ones without success (they were sold mainly for use in the farms, far away from Buenos Aires)

After some time of no luck, I discover an old advertisment of a seller of agricultural equipment 500 km far away and they have some IZH Planetas (solo and with sidecars) ,still inside their original wooden boxes! :rofl

A few moths later the big red bike arrive home in a truck and I started to get it in working order...after nearly 20 years some job have to be done.

Now I´m in the process of running-in at low RPM and I ride it about 600 km.

This kind of motorcycle is extremely rare in occident and the technical information is very rare too.

Internet is big help despite the fact that most of the sites dedicated to them are russian, so I´m looking for users reviews and advice.

I know some german collectors are fond of this brand because is a developed copy of a famous WWII bike (DKW 350cc)....some collectors in America owns them too.

So....I ´m very happy to share this with you and I hope to make many new friends.:D

Greetings to you all....Alberto B.

Attached Files:

2. FinestYearK

FinestYearK Rain, rain, go away

Oddometer:
    That, sir, is a handsome bike. Looks reliable as heck.
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
  4. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you felows!

FinestYearK:

the bike is reliable .... I had small false contacts typical of russian electronics, with the experience of my car I was able to fix it with little effort.

On the other side I had to learnt some peculiarities....like how to use the piston descompressor :huh

She has a temper but we are becoming friends :freaky

FR700:

back in the late 80`s the russian manufacturer IZHMASH, get some transfer of japanesse tecnology for neumatic/hidraulic fork, front disk brake, alloys wheels and carburator (MIKUNI = Pekar)

Are there any russian classic bike owners here in the forum? :D
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Ahhh ... so does that make it a MIZHMASH of parts ? :D .
    Thank you for answering .

6. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very funny!! :clap ( I have to consult my dictionary to catch it :jjen )
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. Brand new 1994 bike!
  8. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is funny how I discover this excelent site: a few weeks ago looking for videos in the net and know about Ewan´s travel around the world,in one episode the cammeraman Von Planta broke his BMW GS in Mongolia and he was in bad need of a replacement so they got to a local market and bought an............ IZH bike !!

Is very exciting to hear my very familiar 2T DENG DENG engine sound in this episode :happay

This particular bike is the original design, dirt model ( 7.107L-010), made for very harsh terrain and shares 90% components with mine, highway model (7.107-015).

Russian people need this kind of vehicles because the extreme nature of weather and terrain.

Mine has better performance and safety in the highway (neumatic fork, front disk brake) but keeps the dirt spirit.

Watching this series made me want to know more about this crazy people that makes very long rides,knowing different people, places and cultures.............. reading this site make me realise that there are many many people doing this!!

Attached Files:

• 278.jpg
      278.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Brunow - 007

Brunow - 007 Bantam Fever

Oddometer:
    Nice armageddon bike! :D
  10. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Friend !

I think THIS would be much better .....more fuel efficient :evil

Attached Files:

11. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both in my car and the bike I love the practical design, devoid of ornaments so common in modern products.
    Not have a great performance but I travel from point A to B (most of the times ... [​IMG] ) with undeniable style!

I know of some Planets and Jupiters in Nort America imported by individuals, the thing here in Latin America was different, in the 90´s there was a huge disparity between our currency and russian rubles, making it very convenient to import large amounts of cars, trucks, tractors and motorcycles ..... selling prices very cheap.

The problem is that in the eyes of the buyers seemed of old products with outdated technology, even today people think that machines are not reliable.

The truth is that there was much lack of information on how to use and maintain, the language barrier is great .... many people thought they did not need maintenance, they did not need oil, and being so tough they were mistreated.

Also many people do not bother to patent it and in recent years the state is very strong on these issues ... all these elements have made practically no see ... I never saw one in the street ... apart from the own!

My next steps are to fix a few minor mechanical problems that prevent me from riding for more than 100-150km and solved them, take travel greater distances to reach the break-in (2500 km).

This bike design incorporates certain safeguards to prevent the user from damaging the engine during this period, having reached the break-in, these elements can be removed to enjoy the full power of the motorcycle.

Looking for my bike, find it so far away, buy it, bring home in a truck, make it work properly, make it street legal and now ride it is a great adventure!

Attached Files:

12. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    [​IMG]
  13. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Como que no es legal en la calle?

No tiene luz de giro.

No me digas que los pata negra te persiguen en la moto Rusa por Monte Grande! :lol3
  14. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LawnDart , so patriotic photo! :wink:
  15. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:

Argentino :clap:

JAJAJAJAJA :rofl...........Mucho gusto Pollo!....que loco encontarte aca!....hay muchos hispano-escribientes en el foro?

Para que sea street legal solo necesite agregar el espejo derecho ( y me lo pidio el seguro) :huh

Lo que si fue un gran quilombo fue convencer a la municipalidad que la moto era Okm del año 94...no me la querian patentar a pesar de tener todos los papeles....despues si me la patentaban pero tenia que pagar la patente acumulada de toooodooos esos años que la moto no rodó.....finalmente me la patentaron como 1994 y no tuve que pagar el acumulado.

Eso no me molesta ya que cuando la quiera vender igual me van a dar dos mangos, es una moto muy rara.

Vos sabes que hay muchos fierros buenos que no pueden circular por ester "flojitos de papeles" :deal

Lo que si me calienta es que no encuentro aca en Argentina un seguro que me la asegure contra robo.:ruskie

English traslation:

Hi Pollo ........... JAJAJAJAJA !.... Glad to meet you here !.... are there many Spanish-scribes in the forum?

To be street legal I only need to add the right mirror (and it was an insurance regulation)

What it was a great problem was to convince the municipality that the bike was new but from the year 94 ... initially they denied to do despite having all the papers .... after that they do but only if I had to pay the accumulated charges for all these years that the bike did not roll ..... eventually patented as 1994 and did not pay the accrued.

That does not bother me because when I want to sell just going to give me two cents, is a very rare bike.

What make me really mad is not find here in Argentina a company to insure the bike against theft. :ruskie
  16. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mucho gusto n00b :D, you guys had me think and do my translation, then I hit the bottom of the post and noticed #1 button was push
  17. Sam Simons

Sam Simons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greeting,Alberto!

The Soviet bikes are always interesting. You've got a great looking machine. Please continue to share your experiences.
  18. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Despite being almost unknown in the West, the Series Planeta is one of the most produced model in the history of the manufacture of motorcycles....Let review it´s interesting history. :D

It´s origin dates back to 1919 when a little german company produced for first time a two-stroke engine – “Das Kleine Wunder” or DKW – “The Little Marvel”, fitted to a bicycle.

With the licensing of several technical innovations in the beginning of 1930’s DKW started to produce motorcycles with improved cooling and decreased fuel consumption and won the European Championship in 1938 and 1939.

Racing experience gave DKW the lead in the two-stroke technology world-wide.

The WWII started and the Wehrmacht did not express any interest in the two-stroke engines. But the reconnaissance division needed to adopt a reliable machine to be used for scout and messenger purposes thus the DKW NZ 350 came along.
    This machine was soon produced in army version with almost no alterations, comparing to the civil version and became known as “Das Motorrad der Kradmelder” the dispatch rider's motorcycle.

By the end of WWII and by order of the SMAD (Soviet Military Administration in Germany) the dismantling of the DKW motorcycle factory started on July 1945. All equipment is crated and shipped to the Soviet Union. In 1946 the russian IZH motorcyle factory got the equipment, taking out from Germany because of war reparations.

IZHmash is well known as the factory that also produces the AK assault rifle.

Sadly Herrmann Weber, the chief engineer of DKW, who was working for the company since 1922, and group of DKW engineers was "transferred" to Ishewsk to set up the dismantled equipment in the IZH motorcyle factory, which was founded in 1929. Weber died in Ishewsk on 24. September 1948.

Under the IZH-350 trademark the production of the NZ350 continues nearly unchanged. The most obvious change was the use of aluminium instead of cast iron for the engine block.

The output of road motorcycles of different sports modifications was the characteristic feature of the russian motorcycles industry in 1940-1960. In 1948 the motorcycle 'IZH-350 C' with the front telescopic fork was made in IZHEVSK. The engine power raised to 14 hp. The manufacturing of the improved model 'IZH-50' of sport motorcycle started in 1950.

Designers created the most improved model 'IZH-49' in 1951. Front telescopic fork, rear suspension with the hydraulic shock absorber and other improvements of the motorcycle's safety raised in many respects. It was the first model of Izhevsk's motorcycles with sidecar.

The manufacturing of the new class of sports motorcycles with tubular welded frame and with a pendulum rear suspension started in 1955. 'IZH-54' had the engine with power 18 hp, and 'IZH-55' - 16 hp. The new model 'IZH-56' appeared in 1956, later the development batch of this model turned out on the plant. The tubular frame, saddle with cover, carburettor and air cleaner were covered by housings. Wheels became interchangeable. His power raised to 13 hp. This model was more popular. Its output had come up to 680 thousand pieces, 130 thousand pieces from this run were equipped with sidecar. This model became more modern.

The commercial production of motorcycle 'IZH-Planeta' on the basis 'IZH-56' started in 1962. Guarantee range of 'IZH-Planeta' in comparison with 'IZH-56' raised up to 2000 km and thanks to air filter, the service life of cylinder and parts of piston group raised half as much again.

The manufacturing of 'IZH-Planeta-2' and 'IZH-Jupiter-2' started in 1966-1970.

The period of 1971-1975 was devoted to the road motorcycles 'IZH-Planeta-3', 'IZH-Jupiter-3', 'IZH-Jupiter-3K', and 'IZH-Planeta-Sport' manufacturing. The safety of exploitation and convenience in servicing were remarkably combined in these models. The experience in construction elaboration, new progressive plant equipment, new materials had shortened the period of new models development, enlarged the make quantity, and made better the exploitation characteristics.

'IZH-Planeta-Sport' was the absolutely new model, which differ from german's DKW. Japan's electronics and engine in combination with the Japan's Mikuni carburettor develop a power 32 hp. and have the new separate system of lubricant.

The building of the new complex on the motorcycles industry finished at the beginning of 80´s. It was highly automated, equipped by the suspended assembly conveyors, calculated for the output of 450 thousand motorcycles per year. At the new complex the manufacturing of the motorcycles 'IZH-Jupiter-4' started in 1981. And the new model 'IZH-Planeta-4' with 12V electrical equipment appeared in 1982.

The new button 'Standby' appeared in this model. 'IZH-Planeta-5', output in 1987, got the renewed engine with the power 22 hp and new appearance of fuel tank, facing and instrument panel.

Also, in this period on the basis of Japan engine YAMAHA XT-550 were designed and manufactured the prototypes of the modern motorcycles 'Orion'.

The end of the Soviet Union and the massive importation of more advanced japanese bikes and others western manufacturers give IZH a fight it couldn´t win, the motorcycle factory went to bankrupcy in the beginning of the 2000´s.

In all this years IZH factory produced millons of bikes.

Sources:

http://www.dkw-nz.net/

http://archive.izhmoto.ru/eng

Picture: DKW NZ350-1

compare to my Planeta 5 pictures, see distintive feature of kick lever combinated with gear lever at the left of the bike... :evil

Attached Files:

• dkw1.jpg
      dkw1.jpg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
    spokester likes this.
  19. KevlarIZH

KevlarIZH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ADVrider is so informative!........checking other post of the 2T forum I read about Harley-Davidson 2T motorcycles :evil

Shortly after the close of WWII, Germany's DKW motorcycle plant ( (yes...the same Soviet Union tooked too) was put to use by Harley-Davidson as part of U.S. war reparations. This resulted in Harley-Davidson's introduction of its first small-displacement two-stroke motorcycle, called "Hummers"

Picture: Harley Davidson STU 165 compare to DKW pictures, see distintive feature of kick lever combinated with gear lever at the left of the bike... :wink:

Attached Files: