Classic side road riggin'

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MeCasa the 2nd, Nov 5, 2018.

1. MeCasa the 2nd

MeCasa the 2nd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AV bikes weren't always available in the states so a lot of us would take road bikes, lighten em up, add some home made crash bars and gear rigging, throw on a aggressive Perelli and ride like hell.

Problem is the damn front forks was always blowing out throwing oil all over the gor-tex

I started out buying saran wrap, wrapping the fork and duct taping top and bottom. 300 miles the oil melts the saran, oil gets under the duct tape.....no bueno...red gore-tex leggins only red on back of legs

Three or four years later, different bike....same shit....this time cleaned above and below joint real good with lacquer thinner, used a little heavier freezer bags and wrapped the duct tape higher and lower on the clean metal...seemed to work better but wasn't 100% sure because this time the leggins was black :-)
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not just get some bellows for the forks? They work well.
    Johann likes this.
  3. MeCasa the 2nd

Oddometer:
    What are bellows?
  4. Johann

Johann Long timer

Oddometer:
    We call them gaiters in the UK/Europe......

[​IMG]
  5. MeCasa the 2nd

Oddometer:
    You must have good convenient stores in the EU ! Would they be near the shelf where they keep the oil :-)
  6. WindBlast

WindBlast Repoting live from Interzone

Oddometer:
    What year is your KLR?
    JaySwear and Johann like this.
  7. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Dirt bikes use them. My wife's DR350 came with them stock, and I've seen them in the Dennis Kirk catalog and such.

I know what you mean about making your own adv bike, though. My 600 dual sport wasn't quite fast enough for the open interstate, and bikes like the BMW R1200GS are heavier than I want in a bike. I bought a 750cc supermoto that made me smile, and added a few parts to make it somewhat dirt worthy. These tires turned out to be more aggressive than I needed, but they made for a good picture. :lol3 The link in my signature line shows it as it sits today.

[​IMG]
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  8. MeCasa the 2nd

Oddometer:
    The first thought I had when I saw your bike was those tight circles when you get on and off the interstates. Riding on the edges of those knobbies is true adventure riding

Good lookin bike
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The TKC80 actually does fairly well in the handling department. Where I had issues was during emergency stops. A couple of times I slid right past stop signs. As they wore down, they also became unstable at speed. Doing 70-80 mph leaned over a bit, I would get speed wobbles that felt like they might turn into tank slappers (this bike has always felt light in the front end). At that point, I switched to the Pirelli MT60. Not quite as much traction off road, but very close to street tires on asphalt. I feel they are the ideal compromise for me.

[​IMG]
    Kawasakirob likes this.