Clean Speed KTM 950/990 brake pedal

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by cse, Jun 7, 2017.

1. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates,

I want to introduce myself and Clean Speed. We’ve been making rear brake pedals for KTM690’s and Husqvarna 701’s since 2009. We also recently released a rear pedal for the KTM 1090/1190/1290. Our goal with both of these is to provide a much stronger pedal with a smoother action than the OEM offering. Not everyone needs one of our pedals, but if you’re riding gnarly enough trails that breaking the rear brake pedal would lead to a long ride home on the front brake, we have a solution.

About two years ago we built and tested a pedal for the KTM 950/990. One of the people testing a prototype documented it here http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-your-ktm-today.568535/page-610#post-27161645. We got sidetracked on other projects, and interest didn’t seem really high, so it’s been on the backburner while the prototypes continued their extended field testing. Now it seems there may be a renewed interest, so I thought I’d start a thread here to try and judge whether there is enough interest to justify creating production programs and tooling and doing a run. We don't have enough information for an accurate sale price, but I would estimate it will be close to our 1190 pedal which sells for $185. If you have a 950 or 990 and would be interested, reply here, DM me or you can email me directly at jim@cleanspeedeng.com.

[​IMG]

Happy trails,

Jim
    WWW.CLEANSPEEDENG.COM
    MultiDoc and DistortedAxis like this.
  2. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your link to your website didn't work Jim...took me to a forum page.

What's the major difference between the standard brake lever and yours..ktm1290saR

Nice post btw

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    cse likes this.
  3. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested - does the cost include a pad, or just the pedal (I realize your site probably says this but I'm unable to hit it from work).
    cse likes this.
  4. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pepperjack, thanks for the tip on the bum website link. Should be fixed now.

The key difference between our pedals and OEM is strength. On the manufacturing side, we are machining from billet opposed to casting. This gives the aluminum a finer, stronger, more uniform grain structure. On the design end we've focused on strategically increasing the cross-section in known weak areas. All of the KTM big bike pedals are weak out towards the tip. The picture below is our 1090/1190/1290 pedal and the OEM, it shows a comparison of one area that we have changed. Let me know if you have any other questions.

[​IMG]

GoGoGavin41, the price doesn't include the pad, but all of our pedals can use the OEM pad. Your question does make me think that we may be able to work out some kind of pedal/pad package deal for ADV members if we get enough interest.
  5. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice work!

I am most interested in a pedal and pad. Just can't quite decide on the drop down pad. It looks like that would be a great way to GO!!!

I always set my pedal up for standing (1190r), then after a tough ride, I am too sore and lazy to lift my "husky" leg to hit the rear break. It just doesn't look like enough material on top for standing? Or it would be a little pad at that point?

Anywho, I am thinking hard about it. Are you Cats local? maybe i could stop by your shop and chatt?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make a really great product! Mongo.
    cse likes this.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim, nice looking piece and you have a great reputation for the 690 product so I have no doubt that the LC8 version is outstanding. Question - is there any chance that you could produce a hinged pedal tip to avoid breakage?
    outbacktm, cse and Pablo Mac like this.
  7. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry for the slow reply, crazy around here the last couple days.

Big-E, we're in East Mesa. Our Stepped pad does have cleats on both levels, but it may be a little small. The Dropped pad does not have cleats on the top, but it does have a pretty good platform on the top level. Stop by and we can try out the different pads and see what you think. Shoot me an email at jim@cleanspeedeng.com so I can make sure I'm in the shop.

Alongat, we're thinking the same regarding a pivot tip, but I've struggled with it. We've built two different prototype versions that had a vertical rotation axis. I wasn't happy with either of those because I felt we still had too much of a 'lever arm' sticking out from the pedal when the pad was folded up. I've got a couple different ideas modeled that will do a better job of getting the pad out of the way when folded, but I need to figure out how to make them manufacturable. It's definitely on the plate and I'd really like to figure it out.
    outbacktm likes this.
  8. maritan

maritan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the pedal/ pad combo for my 1190R too. I've also been debating the stepped and dropped pads, but really I have no clue which I'd prefer...
  9. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maritan, our Stepped pad is a little smaller than the 1190 OEM pad and our Dropped pad is deeper than the OEM pad, but the same width (dimension perpendicular to the lever).
  10. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm already using the dropped pad and for me is a very good pad especially with boots, gives you the slack and the feel I like, now I know what my foot is doing with the rear brake.

As for the pedal itself, I'd be interested in one and have long been waiting for it.
  11. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MultiDoc, thanks for the feedback and we're glad to hear that you're happy with your Dropped pad.
    MultiDoc likes this.
  12. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    Hello Jim,

Okay, I just ordered a pedal and a standard pad as well as the drop down pad. For my 1190r. I am really exiceted to get the drop down pad, I think it will be awesome for sit-down hiway traveling!

About how long to ship?

Thanks, Eric.

BTW, my first name is Richard.....haha. yea.
  13. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    WOW!!

Ordered at 12:15pm yesterday, and conformation that it shipped at 1:35pm!! 2-day mail too!

WOW!! Thank you Jim!
  14. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    I received my break pedal and both pads yesterday afternoon!!

WOW! They look Awesome! Can't wait to get them installed!

Thank you Jim!
  15. Sibhod

Sibhod Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested in the 990 brake pedal! Put me down for 1 please.
  16. MultiDoc

Oddometer:
    It still shows as "TBD", let us know when it'll be available.
  17. cse

cse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the slow reply guys. I didn't have my notifications set up and forgot to check on the thread.

BIG-E, Thanks for the order and the feedback on the pedals and pads. Glad to hear you're happy with them. Which pedal pad did you decide on?

We've had enough interest in the 950/990 pedal that we've decided to go ahead with the production programming and tooling. It will be awhile (2-3 months), but we will have them for sale this fall. I will update here first once they're ready to go. Thanks to everyone for the input.
    MultiDoc and DistortedAxis like this.
  18. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    WOOOHOOO!

Subscribed! Please update when closer to being ready or having a ship date and I will place an order!
    cse likes this.
  19. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    Hello Jim,

I have been so busy getting caught up, that I haven't even installed my new Awesome pedal yet. But I am going with the stepped pad first, I think I will like that one alot. Since I get lazy when sitting..

Thanks for the great job Brother!
    cse likes this.
  20. MultiDoc

Oddometer:
    Good news, may I suggest you make a black anodised pedal as an available option please too.
    cse likes this.