Clearwater Dixi R1250GSa

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Black-Throated Wind, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Black-Throated Wind

Black-Throated Wind n00b

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of installing Dixi's on my 1250 adventure. I have searched the numerous threads on aux lighting but I am looking for pics of Dixi's on a 1250GSa.
    I have purchased two types of mounting hardware. The Denali light mount for under the beak and Clearwater's crash bar mounts.
    Any insight on the better position for most effective beam pattern and protection for lights.
    Also, because if the shear size of the Dixi's, can they adversely affect cooling?
    Thanks
    Scott
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are fairly new lights and big $$,so I dont think a lot of folks have them.
    As to install,look at what others have done with the larger Clearwater lights,such as Erica's,Sevina"s
    As long as you leave a good portion of the radiators exposed,you should be good.
    Biggest issue would be lots of slow speed work,city traffic/commute traffic,where you would not get a lot of airflow.

JR356
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clearwater told me they can only mount these on outside of crash bars. Not enough inside clearance.
  4. Black-Throated Wind

Black-Throated Wind n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses.
    We didn't have the best weather recently, which all allowed me to justify non-riding time to attempt the install.
    I installed the Denali light bar mount and played around with direct mounting as well as the angle mounts. After exhausting all the different positions and taking into account suspension travel and radiator obstruction, I removed the Denali bar and mounted them to the upper crash bar. I used the suggested bar mount kit. I had it in my head that the Denali mount would offer more flexibility/options. In the end, I felt that they would be more susceptible to vibration (?). Mounting them to the upper crash bar kept them in close to the body yet wide enough to create a wide overlap. They also are high enough not to interfere with the stock driving light location and low enough not to wash out the main headlight/turn signals. I also installed the Billy Jr brake light, which is a great add on.
    I rode from Hershey, PA. to Bloomsburg to Halifax for ice cream (BBB's) and back to Hershey. I was running the center of the Dixi @20% with the yellow lenses. I truly felt that I was more noticeable without upsetting other drivers. Not once did I get a flash or an angry comment when pulling up along side of anyone. Also, I passed at least dozen assorted LEO's (State Troopers to Local Municipalities) and not one blinked an eye.
    I have not been able to ride at night because of work and will report back when I do.
    It takes me awhile to figure out the whole posting picture thing, so I will as soon as I do.
    As for the install, it was straight forward and very easy.
    One hint.... If you remove the fuse from the power connection (which I did) before wiring to the battery, remember this when testing the system. Because when the billy lights up and works perfectly and you get zip from the Dixi's, It will save you from having to pay into the cursing/tantrum/it only happens to me jar. Yes, I am at that age of forgetfulness.
    Thanks
    Scott
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod That makes sense.

I wouldn't worry about blocking cooling. There will be plenty of air flow around them, especially mounted outside the crash bars.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was mobile before so was short-handing but I tried to order these instead of 2X Darla + Erica + Sevina and instead just do 2 Dixi w/ the "Darla function" covered with orange and the outer Sevina function limited to high-beam only. but I drop my bike (sometimes) and when I called to order they wouldn't sell me the upper crash bar mounts inside in front of the radiators. When the forks compress, they had clearance issues with that and I believe with steering too. it was just too large of a housing so they said "outside only" so hanging off the bike and "if you drop your bike, it's going to damage the lights"

I really wanted to have one of the first video reviews of Dixi on youtube but I had to be practical. If OP has a photo of two Dixis mounted inside and reports after a thousand miles no issues, I'll definitely buy them over the winter and mount them up because I'd prefer those 2 to 4 lights.
    JimVonBaden likes this.