Clearwater Erica Install on a R1200GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ironklad, Apr 7, 2014.

1. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:

Just the info I was looking for. My lights arrived this afternoon. :clap

Thanks Smitty
  2. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    isn't for this information to be of any use need to have Amps? If I understand correctly the voltage could be Ok but have a negative Amp current, i.e. deficit???
  3. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:

I watch my volt meter. If it falls below 13.4 or so, I start turning things down or off. I just don't want to use more power than my stator can produce.
    These light use 120 watts of power, and should be fine alone. But add other things and you can have a power problem.
    Smitty
  4. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    With more than 40 amps available at rated out put you will absolutely not run into problems. The bike has such a large alternator so it can supply power to the ABS also. This seldom happens and then only for a few seconds. Just a few years back people ran "regular bulbs" that as an H3 55 watt bulb drew 5 amps or so each and the bikes had a couple of them as add ons. That did not make a dent even with heated gear, grips etc. . No worries. With the built in volt meter read out you can check, go for a ride, or run the engine at 3000 RPM, turn on everything including high beam and check your voltage. if you are in the normal spot of 14.2 there has been no reduction in output, you still have some head room. Drop down to 13.9 and it is telling you that you are near the out put at that RPM for the alternator.
  5. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Great write up.

I have a question - the Clearwater web site says, quote:

Once installed, the rider has control over brightness using the included handlebar-mounted digital encoder knob, and on/off control via the turn signal cancel button.

Your review doesn't mention this - is this a feature just added?

Thanks.
  6. CV350

CV350 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have my lights sitting on the bench and havent installed them yet but what I do see is that the wiring kit has an on off switch provided and page 17 of the Erica manual (available on clearwaters website) says that the can opener can be programmed to turn the lights on off.

So my guess is that the option to use either the on off switch provided in the wiring kit or the turn signal functionality ( hold the cancel button down two seconds) exists.
  7. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the added integration with the bike's systems was added in later generations of the CANOPENER device.
  8. lanor

lanor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at these lights during the MOA rally and have to say the integration with the BMW electronics is slick. My only concern is what/if there is an update from BMW to their CANBus system and the Clearwater needs an update to properly function. Is their system upgradeable?
  9. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting over a month for a harness from Clearwater to integrate my Krista's onto my new GSA WC. I told them I don't need the things to be able to launch nukes from my turn signals, just to turn them on and be able to dim them.
  10. ironklad

ironklad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clearwater has been busy over the past few months with some very cool new features and light accessories. I upgraded my bike with their newest CANOpener3 using a "retro-fit" kit and also now have their 1" light mount to exactly match the AltRider 1" upper crash bars. They also now have amber and clear light covers that are very quick to put on and remove.

The most significant change is the CANOpener3 which now allows 100% plug and play connectivity to the bike. There is no longer a need to install an on/off switch nor to install the light adjustment knob. In addition the individual signal wires are removed and now provided in a clean plug and play connector that runs from the CANOpener3 under the rear seat up to the relay under the dash.

The unique feature of the CANOpener3 is the complete out of the box integration with the GSW. Turn the Erica's on or off by pressing and holding the turn signal cancel switch for 2 seconds. Adjust the light intensity by pressing and holding the wonder wheel to the right for 2 seconds and then rotating the wheel up or down to select from 10 intensity levels. In addition the on-bike light sensor is used to allow for separate stored day and night intensity levels and in addition you can now adjust the high beam to any level, it's no longer fixed at 100% (though that's where I keep mine). The manual covers several other modes and options, read the manual, these lights offer much more than you would expect (http://clearwaterlights.com/manuals.html). I recommend reviewing the manual, testing the various modes at home in the driveway and once configured leave the settings alone (focus on riding, not your lights).

The overview page in the manual does a good job of summarizing the installation:

[​IMG]

And for those (like me) who have the old relay module with signal wires coming out of it there is a "retro-fit" kit that provides 100% functionality between the new CANOpener3 and the old relay module. The retro-fit is a small length of plug and play cable with a yellow and red wire that connect to the turn-on and switch wires on the relay module.

[​IMG]

The original CANOpener is shown above the new CANOpener3, Notice the 2nd cable coming out the right side with all the little wires... this gives you direct access to GSW signals including Brake Signal, Switched Hot, High Beam, Horn, and a Ground connection. These are for signal purposes so would require a relay to drive anything. Clearwater is coming out with an add-on brake light license plate frame that will connect to this harness.

[​IMG]

I started my retro-fit install by first removing the on/off switch and light adjustment knob from the left hand cluster. Really nice to clean up the cluster and remove excess parts. Stuff I no longer need:

[​IMG]

Next step was to cut the old signal wires and remove the original CANOpener. The CANOpener3 fits cleanly under the rear seat plastic but if you don't have the patience or time to remove the rear section of the bike you can fit it directly under the rear seat much more quickly. You can also see the green connector where the signal cable runs toward the front of the bike.

[​IMG]

All that was needed to finish the upgrade was to connect the retrofit cable between the relay and CANOpener3 signal line and connect the red and yellow retro-fit wires to the two relay wires.

I also replaced my 25mm light mount bracket with a new 1" version Clearwater offers specifically for the AltRider upper crash bars. As you can see below there is a fairly significant difference between the 25mm and 1" clamp. I was able to use the 25mm clamp on a corner bend however now with the 1" clamp I can position the mount anywhere on the bars. These light mounts Clearwater sells are extremely sturdy and offer many options to position and articulate the light, in addition they come with stainless fasteners.

[​IMG]

I'm still experimenting with light placement to balance optimal light spread with keeping the lights protected from both the front wheel, trees, and rocks. Particularly if you ride off road think about what would happen to the light if your bike fell into a tree or on a rock. I like the mount configuration shown below as I found that leaning the bike into a tree causes the light to swivel on the bolt instead of bend or break. So far the lights have rolled into rocks and hit a few trees with no damage.

[​IMG]

And finally a long awaited addition is the ability to pop on amber covers without having to change the whole light lens assembly. The covers are made of flexible plastic with a ridge that the plexiglass lenses fit into. They slide over the front of the lights with enough tension where they stay securely in place while they can be easily removed. They come with both amber and clear covers as shown and changing them is as simple as popping them in and out.

[​IMG]

And a picture installed on an Erica, simple and effective.

[​IMG]

It's been about four months since I installed the Erica's and I continue to be impressed not only with the extreme amount of light they produce but in their durability and quality. The latest integration features with the CANOpener3 are quite impressive... I'm looking forward to their new brake light module, particularly the speed sensitive capability.

That's all for now, feel free to hit me up with any questions.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool covers. I want them for my Kristas!
  13. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Do the amber covers cut down the amount of light put out? Are they a daytime only thing?
  14. ironklad

ironklad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that any amber cover will reduce light output with the advantage of reducing glare particularly in fog and bad weather. My plan is to keep them on the bike and use them in bad weather to improve visibility both for myself and other drivers seeing me. I've been in bad fog and driving rain and it is not fun, I will take any visibility advantage I can get... which is also why I am also in the market for the brake light module they are coming out with.

I also have an update from Clearwater concerning a question I had regarding light output. The original dimmer knob goes from 15% to 55% light output while the CANOpener3 integration with the bike's "wheel" goes from 3% to 100% in 11 steps: 3, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.

I previously ran my lights at the lowest level during daytime driving, with the CANOpener3 I'm going to test them at 20% and go down to 10% only if I get flashed by other drivers. I had zero issues at 15% with the previous setup and so far at 20% have no indication of drivers having issue with the light output. I still need to decide if I will run a different level at night, I may try 30 or 40% at night and will keep the high beam at 100% for sure.
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. But, not just any old amber will do. Wikipedia says:

The intent of selective yellow is to improve vision by removing short, blue to violet wavelengths from the projected light. These wavelengths are difficult for the human visual system to process properly, and they cause perceived dazzle and glare effects in rain, fog and snow.[8] Removing the blue-violet portion of a lamp's output to obtain selective yellow light can entail filter losses of around 15%,[9] though the effect of this reduction is mitigated or countervailed by the increased visual acuity available with yellow rather than white light in bad weather.

Selective yellow is the name of the color. It is slightly different from Amber (a shade darker). I'd guess that amber filters would also cut light output by about 15%.
  16. The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy Gettin' by

Oddometer:
    Great write up. The newest CANopener looks great. The integrated wiring now makes me want to get a set of Clearwaters.

Does the wonder wheel integration display the percentage settings on the Nav screen? Or do you just count the clicks? Not that it really matters, just curious.
  17. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of Clearwater Darlas at he MOA rally. I installed then on my GSWA a few days later. Easy install and the integration into the bike is really really nice. Once they are set up (another easy thing to do) you don't even need to think about them.

They come on when I start the bike and the brightness adjusts by itself day and night, high and low beam.

Highly recommend, especially if you have the wonder-wheel.
  18. MaxSeven

MaxSeven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done exposé on the install - great photos.

I have a question though. Am I reading correctly on the Clearwater site that this kit is priced at $999.00?

I am at a loss to equate that price to the value of the product - what features and benefits justify such a lofty expenditure?

:huh

Never mind, I found this thread... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895153
  19. RickatSF

RickatSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. Thank you. Also do you have the Nav 5? Wondering if there is any conflict with the wheel ???

20. OzOldrider

OzOldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes there not cheap.

At this stage I think they are the only driving light that will work with the high beam switch on bikes with Led lights. Lot of smarts went into working out the Canopener I would imagine, you pay $200.00 just for that I believe.

I have the Darlas which I tested last weekend and was quite imprest, for the amount of night riding I do they will do the job. If I was do a lot of night riding I would go for the Ericas.

They also have a stop light set up they are testing now which will