Clearwater Erica Install on a R1200GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ironklad, Apr 7, 2014.

1. RickatSF

RickatSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Break light module?

. which is also why I am also in the market for the brake light module they are coming out with.
  2. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the Darlas with the CANopener because I couldn't justify the price of the Ericas. I did get them at the MOA rally so they were was a deal on them there. Now that I have the "small" ones and see how good they are I will add the big set, likely in Billings.

I just asked about the brake lights. They are in development and should be out in November or so. Will plug into the CANopener. I expect them to be outstanding and will postpone a planned purchase of P3 lights to see them first. Particularly since I already have the CANopener.

Clearwater lights are not cheap, but I think they are worth the price.
  3. Scottishman

Scottishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Erica's. Will get brake lights when they come out. Safety is important!
  4. ironklad

ironklad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally had a chance to run through some tests using the wonder wheel and found that there are some functions on the Nav5 that have similar long press delays as the CANOpener3. I hadn’t noticed until I focused on each Nav5 function that requires a long press and found that the Nav5 will register a long press before the CANOpener however the delay between the two is fairly short (less than a second to a second) such that on occasion I kept the wheel pressed too long and entered the light setup mode. I believe the Nav5 long press functions include skipping forward/back in the media player (which I don’t use) as well as the page that includes the “Speak, Waypoint, Go Home, Mute, Display Off, Call Home, Detour, and Skip” options which I do use when on longer rides. I contacted Clearwater about the close timing of the long press and they acknowledged my concern and are working on an update in the form of a v1.7 CANOpener3. The solution is to require an initial turn signal cancel button press prior to the normal wonder wheel long press to initiate light level programming. They are sending me a Ver1.7 CANOpener3 including this update and I will post here once I have the updated version in hand. I'm told this is the first report of a concern and suspect the real-world scenario that would cause an inadvertent light programming is somewhat remote, none the less it is great to see a company react so quickly to a customer concern.

I also received the following info from Clearwater "Clearwater does suggest that before entering any dimming mode, you exit your GPS and enter the home screen. The TSC update should alleviate any interaction between the Nav5 and our CANopener."
  5. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Great customer service.
  6. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. Other accessory companies should strive to be as good as Clearwater. You can always reach someone and they respond promptly, even after hours. I'm happy to pay more for that kind of service and to a company that manufactures in the USA. Rare these days.
  7. ironklad

Oddometer:
    I received the updated CANOpener3 yesterday and swapped it out tonight, the update is exactly as advertised and with the fully plug-n-play connectors it took all of a few seconds to swap out. A long press alone of the wheel now has no impact on the CANOpener3 and all Nav5 operations can be performed without entering the light programming mode. To program the lights you tap the turn signal cancel button and then proceed with the long press to the right (or left depending on the type of lights). Very cool to see such a fast turnaround, I can't say enough about the after sale support.
  8. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff.

10/10 to Clearwater.
  9. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent work and details ironklad. Do you or anyone else browsing know if these Erica's will fit on my '13 R1200GSW equipped with the Touratech upper crash bars? Really like the way they have been designed to mount on many of these upper crash bars. Thanks in advance!!:clap:clap:ear
  10. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clearwater has kits to fit basically everything. Call them if you have questions. They're great people to deal with and the lights are awesome!
  11. RickatSF

RickatSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed 100%! Have the Erica's on my '14 1200GLC with their new breaklight, fully integrated with the wheel. Works flawlessly. Not cheap, but works as advertised!

Highly recommended!
  12. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Billie Brakelight on my GS adventure. Now every time my wife follows me somewhere she mentions how much easier it is to see me from behind. Every time.
  13. wide open

wide open in second gear

Oddometer:
    I've looked through this thread (great install write up!) and am still not clear on the answer to what for me is an important question. Please pardon if it should be obvious.

Maybe someone will be kind enough to help me out:

If I install a set of Krista's and the Can Opener on my 2014 GS, then buy a new GSA next year (for example) and want to move the lights from old bike to new, how difficult will it be to restore the old bike's wiring to it's stock configuration?

And assuming the electric system on a 2016 or 2017 GSA is essentially unchanged, will I probably need all new wiring for the Krista's or will I probably be able to re-install everything on the new bike?

If it's not clear as Clearwater, I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to e-lek-trik work...:wink: Thanks very much for any help here!

Edit:
    OK, so I just talked to a nice lady at Clearwater, who sez that with the new Canopener on my bike I won't need to cut / splice / solder / shrinkwrap any wiring at all - that's it's 100% plug and play. Amazing!
    Sounds like even an electrical moron with OCD like me can do it with a few wrenches, some zip ties, and a beer!
    And so the whole shebang should be easy to move to a GSA next year, assuming no electrical changes from the factory, and my current bike should be able to be restored perfectly to stock config.
    Such a deal!
  14. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The install is really easy and it would be no problem at all to move the system to a different bike. As with everything the time involved depends on how you run the wires and how clean you want the final outcome.
  15. wide open

wide open in second gear

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the reply. I've got the Krista lights on order and am looking forward to the install and to using Ironklad's excellent photos as a reference.:D
  16. ironklad

Oddometer:
    you'll notice when your lights arrive that the install is much simpler than what you see in the first post I made in this thread. The original CanOpener required splicing wires... the latest version is plug-n-play and much easier/cleaner to install. It's a very nice setup, you'll be pleasantly surprised. A quality, well engineered product with great customer service and support.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, I did the swap over from non-Canopener to Canopener in just an hour. Very simple.:freaky
  18. argie

argie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi ironklad: i wondered if you had to pay for all those upgrades since pretty much it has been less than 10 months since you started with this tread or clearwater just sent you the latest can bus opener 3 with the latest software or just the software itself?

thank you in advance
  19. ironklad

Oddometer:
    I paid for the full kit, they did send me a replacement bracket and mounts for my AltRider upper crash bars as the 1" version wasn't available when I originally ordered so they sent the original order with 25mm mounts and their older brackets which worked fine though the 1" ones do fit better and look nicer. They also sent a replacement CANopener for helping troubleshoot and test the wonder wheel feature. In my experience they went out of their way to quickly respond to feedback and implement improvements to their product. They wanted to make sure I had everything I needed and was a satisfied customer. I'd encourage anyone with questions or feedback to contact them, they genuinely want to deliver the best product available.
  20. rotarywing

rotarywing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same setup. With the CAN opener. Took about two beer to install. Love the function and the lumens it throws down the road.

Cost was around a grand so not a big deal