Cleveland National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mike Mike Motorbike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    I actually put supermoto wheels on my dirtbike :patch
  2. Nixinus

Nixinus WR450

Oddometer:
    Maple springs gate is still open while they repave silverado. Being such a small road the repaving traffic was a shit show.

As far as the dirt goes up maple springs to the main divide (north), it's hard packed and a little rocky but that means less dusty!
  3. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    What section is being re-paved?
  4. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    went up today. No construction (probably off for the weekend). Maple springs and main divide have been graded and is super fast! loved it. My new hybrid gummy rear tire loved it too!
    SpongeRob likes this.
  5. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome weather this weekend. Had a couple of hours to kill so I Rode Silverado Cyn, to Maple Springs, to North Main Divide, down Bedford and back on Saturday. Hardly anybody out there so I went back for more on Sunday afternoon... VERY crowded on Sunday - Lotsa hunters in pick-ups

Paving on Silverado Canyon is complete and starts just west of the liquor store/cafe (Ladd Cyn) and goes all the way up to, but stops at the Maple Springs Gate. New asphalt, the Dub Yellow center and white side lines were painted but they still need to do reflectors.

Maple Springs has been graded and is pretty flat and HARD (minimal dust :). At Four Corners the gate to Santiago Peak is CLOSED. Heading north on North Main Divide it's wide open, graded and fairly hard to Bedford. Bedford has also been graded all the way to the golf course.

North Main Divide from Bedford toward Sierra Peak has not been graded. Still busy with a S-load of hunters.

Ride it when you can. I'm sure they'll close everything once the rain starts.

Maple Springs Gate
    IMG_0230.JPG

Gate to Santiago Peak
    IMG_0231.JPG

Bedford Gate (Looking uphill)
    IMG_0233.JPG

North Main Divide - Heading south between Sierra Peak and Bedford Truck Trail
    IMG_0234.JPG

Now - Go Ride!!!
  6. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Look man my Klim gear is good but I don’t think it will stop a bullet from a lazy eyed hunter with a bent barrel and too much alcohol. Just sayin.......
    Buster714 and heirhead like this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    oh looky.. they even left you ramps to jump the gates. How thoughtful. :lol2
    Buster714 likes this.
  8. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the exact same thing! Not that I would ever do such a thing....
  9. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    Don't go around the gates or they will close the whole Mtn. Wait or get a permit that they won't give you.
    Why do we need permits for public lands?
    CNF still sucking.
    Buster714, JeffS77 and Todd157k like this.
  10. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Why? Because we are children and cannot be trusted with adult things like not leaving trash everywhere, not hauling ass around blind corners, starting fires, and being a cool Jeep dude and making craters after it rains to show off the mud on the side of the doors and fenders.
  11. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Odd rant?
  12. T4EaterJonny

Oddometer:
    yep you got me. lol. My supervisor has a jeep so we always give him crap for being a mall crawler. :lol2
  13. hbmichael

hbmichael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Squid filter.....
  14. Nixinus

Nixinus WR450

Oddometer:
    They almost made it Santiago Canyon with the paving, so maybe a few more days till it's all done. They also shut down some parts of Silverado for electrical pole work.

Grading is still in good shape but it's slippery. Lots of loose rocks and gravel on top of hard pack in some corners, too much for my old and worn out tires. Taking the opportunity to practice slides untill I put new rubber on.

Had a chance to see a Huey doing landing drills while I was having a snack. Not a bad day...

Edit: As user theGrinch pointed out, it's not a Huey but actually a Sikorsky uh-60 black hawk.

Attached Files:

Buster714 and breakdirt916 like this.
  15. T4EaterJonny

Oddometer:
    Nice! I've never seen one up close. Pretty loud, yeah?
  16. Nixinus

Nixinus WR450

Oddometer:
    Not as loud as I would have thought. Not much dust either until just before they touched down.
  17. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    That’s actually a Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk.
  18. Nixinus

Nixinus WR450

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about helicopters but I totally see how it's not a Huey now, it's got three front windshields and is considerably wider and longer. I'm going to go down a YouTube rabbit hole on military helicopters now :)
  19. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easiest way for a non-military person to tell between a UH-1H Huey and a UH-60 Blackhawk is the Huey has skids for landing gear and the Blackhawk has wheels.
  20. First Gear Feet Down

First Gear Feet Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yawn
    Buster714 and theGrinch like this.