Cleveland National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mike Mike Motorbike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    Sucky Forest...I will do a gate check tomorrow evening, leaving 6pm, down at dark...who is down?
  2. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yup, gate to the peak was closed...talked to a guy in an F150 who had a key, and he said it will likely be closed another year or so due to the fire damage.

He said that the people that service the radio towers have keys...which he had...and is likely why it could be open occasionally.

On the plus side, the Giant Loop handlebar bag stays put pretty well.

[​IMG]

And the goldentyre did well on rocky/embedded hardpack
    KICKNBACK and HBSURFDAD like this.
  3. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    Heading up this weekend again after work...Sunday 5:30pm KSU from Bake/Portola area. 4c and back down in the dark since the sun is setting earlier now.

EDIT: possible Friday Harvest Moon viewing...1st Friday the 13th on 18 years...apparent best viewings at 7:15pm friday or 6:55am Saturday. Will likely just watch and ride out with street bike.
  4. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    the santa ana winds make for some awesome sunsets

[​IMG]

gate to the peak obv. still closed...bunch of jeeps/toyotas at 4c taking pics, but they were all headed back to the corona side.
    Todd157k likes this.
  5. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    I went to the towers last week. My buddy showed up 1.5 hours late. We thought we would melt due to not beating the heat before noon, but once we got up there it was nice.
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  6. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    20190911_163721.jpg
    east side of the hill after work
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  7. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190921_195344.jpg Convinced a friend to drive up there in his new Wrangler on Saturday, this was my first time being up there after sundown and I loved it. It was interesting looking out over thousands of people and realizing that the vast majority of them will never experience this sight. Then heading back through Silverado there was a DEVO cover band playing. "STOP THE CAR!" No pictures of them, but they were pretty good.
    ianmp, CA_Strom and breakdirt916 like this.
  8. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    The sun sets at 6:40, so I am just going to cruise the 3 miles of Trabuco Creek road, leave from Bake/Portola at 5:30, hit the dirt at 5:45, head down the county road end to end, maybe do some skills practice on any tricky sections, leave after an hour or so
  9. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Trabuco Creek Road!

haven't been down here in awhile...the 3 miles of county road are still open

it was graded/paved last year, and it's smooth and slick

[​IMG]

after you pass the big tree in the middle, it gets a little more like the fire road, like it had been in the past

[​IMG]

the big mud/donut hole from last year-ish has been graded over

[​IMG]

acess to the side trails have always been prohibited; but just now enforced (I believe due to illegal dumping)

[​IMG]

and once the county road turns into the Cleveland National Forest road, the gate prohibits any further access towards "holy jim" (holy jim fire station, hiking trail, etc. etc.)

[​IMG]

so yeah...still boring as ever...next ride will be the '19 FE350 with a cyclops bulb, so hopefully it's enough light to night run from Maple Springs...following weekend desert
    Davethestick likes this.
  10. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    Solid choice. The '16 350 has been good to me as a replacement for the yz
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  11. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    (from the last weekend of September...again, gate is occasionally open. Likely for servicing of radio towers)

[​IMG]

honestly, so far it's boring LOL

lightweight, high quality components, easy to ride, but the YZ was a wild animal...albeit the wrong tool for the job. From what I've read for the FE, budget $2-$3k after you buy it to uncork/tune it, then it will run like it was originally designed.

heading up around noon pr earlier to 4c...all are welcome, just post up and I'll establish a meeting spot.
    Davethestick likes this.
  12. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    closed today to the peak as expected

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wasn't as windy up there as it was down here

[​IMG]

Going to test the Cyclops LED bulb this Saturday evening/night. Up with sun light, down in the dark.

NEXT RUN: Sat 10/12 @5:30pm
    Meet @ Chik Fil A, Foothill Ranch, CA

Cruised the paved section slowly today - good thing I did because of the KTM going fast the opposite direction hogging the whole road!
    Smittyrunner likes this.
  13. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    Is it still stock geared? Mine came as 14:45, which is insanely tall. I run 13:51 now, that's the biggest uncorking right there. I also had the dealer put a richer map in under the table. That plus notoil air filter and scotts stainless oil filter, about $300-400 to have it perfect IMO (and real bark busters).

I miss the 2 stroke power band for sure... but it's a fair trade to be able to relax once in awhile
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  14. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading up tomorrow morning. Anybody else planning on a ride tomorrow?
  15. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a new-to-me CRF450X and I'm lookin' to get out there with y'all. The Tiger always ended up being too beastly for me up in those hills... Excited about the new stead.

How do you guys typically go up to 4 corners? I mountain bike through these hills all the time but I'm not used to the moto constraints, so I'm trying to educate myself a little better on where I can/can't go.
  16. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    Ride Silverado canyon road all the way to the end, it turns into dirt, and that is the only road you can take. I try to go once a week or so...you are welcome to come along, but to be honest it’s a pretty short and mellow ride to the peak (which is “gated closed” at this point). Go left to Bedford truck trail for a longer ride
  17. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    Oh Maple Springs? I thought the gate has been pretty much persistently closed? I ride up Maple Springs quite a bit on my mountain bike... Love it up there!
  18. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    Yup maple springs - The gate at the maple springs visitor center (at the end of Silverado canyon road) is open; the gate from 4 corners to the peak “is closed”
  19. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    Got it! Definitely interested! I guess I haven't been there as recently as I thought... Last time I rode it was earlier in the Spring. I'm sure the gate will close again soon.